Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Importance of water pump replacement?

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2005, 11:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Importance of water pump replacement?

I am getting the idea that changing the water pump on these cars is a vital thing to do at a certain amount of miles. Maybe I am wrong. I noticed in the owners manual of the 2000 Civic I just attained that it just says to inspect the water pump at 80K I think. I just found out that the water pump wasn't replaced at 80k when the timing belt was. Am I looking for potential problems in the future because of this? The car at 119,000 miles now.

So if replacing the water pump is so vital, why is it? Just wondering.

Thanks

Joe
Old 05-16-2005, 11:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Importance of water pump replacement? (turq93t)

Its a "while your at it" type of thing. When replacing a timing belt you have everything off it anyways, might as well replace it.

it wouldn't be worth while to replace the water pump unless you have a problem with it now. But at the next timing belt, do it. Its not vital, but if it goes you could over heat your engine. You would most likely notice the pump leaking before you did any damage.

However if your a girl that doesn't care at all about cars and never looks under the hood for any reason, it would be possible to have a bad pump go un-noticed.
The following users liked this post:
Old 05-16-2005, 11:37 AM

Default Re: Importance of water pump replacement? (turq93t)

I don't think it's vital. The logic is while you have things apart for the T-belt you may as well do the pump too....for what they cost ($50 ?) I guess it's worth it. I did. I also did the crank and cam seals 'cause they were leaking at 79k miles.
I would not worry about it if I were you. When it goes bad it will more than likely be a slow coolant leak. I would bet many Honda's go upward to 200k miles with the original water pumps. By a new one and keep it in your car in case you need it in the next 30k miles or so.
My $.02
Old 05-16-2005, 12:19 PM

Cool. I was beginning to get this false sense of urgency that it had to be done. The next timing belt change for sure it will be done.

Thanks

Joe
Old 05-16-2005, 02:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re:

Would you guys be surprised to know that if the waterpump locks up the timing belt snaps? Honda recomends replacement at regular intervals for a reason.
Old 05-16-2005, 03:16 PM

Default Re: Re: (Chiovnidca)

OMG, someone said it. C'mon guys, the regular intervals are because honda tested these vehicles for miles and miles before they hit the road.
Old 05-16-2005, 03:24 PM

I was looking at the owners manual and it says just to check the water pump at "X" number of miles, it doesn't say it has to be replaced.

When I first started investigating buying the Civic, I heard a couple people mention the water pump being changed when the timing belt is done. Finding out that hadn't been done, it concerned me for a moment, but now feel better.

I know Hondas are superior in quality, I was just checking to see that the water pump wasn't a weak link in these great motors.

Joe
Old 05-16-2005, 03:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: (turq93t)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by turq93t &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I was looking at the owners manual and it says just to check the water pump at "X" number of miles, it doesn't say it has to be replaced.

</TD></TR></TABLE>
Your right, says the same thing in the factory service manual. I'm going to ask the district service manager about that when he stops in next month. Thanks for pointing that out.
Old 05-16-2005, 04:06 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Chiovnidca &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Would you guys be surprised to know that if the waterpump locks up the timing belt snaps? Honda recomends replacement at regular intervals for a reason. </TD></TR></TABLE>

finally ... i was waiting for that.

i would just replace it now. it's only 50 bucks and it shouldn't take more than an hour. or you could just sit around but don't come asking us how to put a new engine in there when it siezes.
Old 05-16-2005, 04:49 PM

Default Re: (turq93t)

true. It is simply a mechanicly driven pump. It won't really go bad instantly like fuel pump.
My water pump is starting to go out ( WP gasket and coolant leaks). But is still drivable for a week or two. Just aslong as you maintain your coolant level!
Old 05-16-2005, 06:00 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Chiovnidca &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Would you guys be surprised to know that if the waterpump locks up the timing belt snaps? Honda recomends replacement at regular intervals for a reason. </TD></TR></TABLE>

I was fortunate, my water pump locked up but the tensioner released enough to allow the belt to slide over the pumps pulley teeth, didnt even jump a single tooth out of time.
I dunno, maybe Honda engineered the tensioner to do just that every time?

The pump barely made any noise before it locked up, I thought it was a whining alternator belt.

I replaced the timing belt, water pump and crank seal while I was in there.

FYI: this was on a 94 EX Coupe with 175k, maint. records said the timing belt had been replaced at 120k and the pump inspection was OK.