Notices

Water out of the exhaust..

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2011, 09:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon2 Water out of the exhaust..

i have a 91 si with the stock motor, Wat can be the problem when water is coming out of the exhaust? and i dont mean when its cold, after the car has warm up its still leaking water and when i give it gas more comes out and the car sound like **** when its on. i cant even drive it because it sound like it want to turn off...
Old 04-18-2011, 09:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Water out of the exhaust..

A little condensation is normal, but what your descirbing sounds alot more than just a little. Is there any smoke coming out of the tailpipe, if so what color?
Old 04-18-2011, 11:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by zsoccerdude17
A little condensation is normal, but what your descirbing sounds alot more than just a little. Is there any smoke coming out of the tailpipe, if so what color?
Nope, i give it gas and only water
Old 04-18-2011, 11:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

The catalytic converter's function is to hydrolyze HC's and reduce NOx by ion transfer... in the process CO2 and H2O are created as byproducts of this completed reaction. I would do an exhaust back pressure test to ensure that the catalyst is not clogged. Maybe there is such an extreme restriction to flow in the catalyst, that the hydrolysis reaction is exceeding beyond its factory tolerance and producing more water than OEM spec should be; the extreme back pressure would also cause idling and driveability issues to compliment the H2O production.
Old 04-18-2011, 12:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by puertoricanboy90
The catalytic converter's function is to hydrolyze HC's and reduce NOx by ion transfer... in the process CO2 and H2O are created as byproducts of this completed reaction. I would do an exhaust back pressure test to ensure that the catalyst is not clogged. Maybe there is such an extreme restriction to flow in the catalyst, that the hydrolysis reaction is exceeding beyond its factory tolerance and producing more water than OEM spec should be; the extreme back pressure would also cause idling and driveability issues to compliment the H2O production.
Basically from what I can understand, Bill Nye over here says that your catalytic converter is working better than it should be which is causing problems. Check that ****.
Old 04-18-2011, 12:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

im not running one its stright pipe..
Old 04-18-2011, 12:15 PM
Keyboard Humorist

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Ilovemyef9
when i give it gas more comes out and the car sound like s**t when its on. i cant even drive it because it sound like it want to turn off...
Sounds like a blown headgasket or a cracked cylinder.
How much water is in your radiator?
Old 04-18-2011, 02:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 4drEF
This sounds more likely.
Old 04-18-2011, 10:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

cracked cylinder wall is possible, but he would surely have noticed having to top off the coolant frequently as a result of it. And Bill Nye is a d-bag, **** which I am not. It is highly possible that the poor running condition and water production are not related. Back probe sensors, check ignition coil resistance,.... you know tech stuff... because there is too much ambiguity to properly assist you.
Old 04-19-2011, 05:53 AM
0x5359-0055

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Bill Nye is a d-bag, ****
YOU TAKE THAT BACK!!!!
Old 04-19-2011, 07:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks man im going to remove the head to check that, i noticed that it was very low in water to. I hope with a new gasket it should do it but im still going to have the head check just in case..
Old 04-16-2018, 11:58 AM
Trial User

I have a 1990 Acura GS with water coming out of the exhaust and having to add water with hard starts what i did checked my pcv valve found a collapsed hose, fixed then got better starts but still hard, what i thought was going on is water is seeping into the cylinder head and when the cylinder expels the water then the car starts and runs as long as i check and keep water in the radiator, i have ordered new gasket set, noticed no codes from the jumper and need a computer,