too agressive?

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2004, 05:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: (ls_vtec_crx)

Well of course 16 -18 year olds think they know how to drive.

They also think nothing bad will happen to them either.

Fact is it does, and you Don't have the experience driving to instinctively react the correct way in an emergency.

When you are 28 you will see what I mean.

by the time you are 42 you will have seen how quick a life can be snuffed out even if you do nothing wrong.

A fast car is likely to get you there far faster than old age will with the EXTREMELY limited driving experience you have.

I have about 1.5 million miles driving under my belt. I have been there done that with most things, I have seen things NOBODY your age has.

I have had frinds die from
#1 being t-boned in their car by another driver.

#2 10 end over ends in a Corvette that was going 150mph

#3 crushed when car ejected them in a rollover and car landed on them upside down.

#4 killd when her BMW 520 hit a tree that entered the drivers side door nirror and exited just in fron to the right rear tire. Killed 5 people

#5 AMC Javelin cut on two pass side mirror exiting behinf driver seat. Driver survived 3 friend killed. ( he is in a nuthouse now)

#6 friend hit an old woman who quickly backed out of driveway without looking. He was on Motorcycle died on the scene.

#7 friend driving home afer being awake 3 straight days, was sidswiped by a car on his motorcycle, died whrn he hit a brick wall.

#8 Friend ran off in woods. was trapped car caught fire. it was closed coffin.

I could go on and on.

I have lost over 20 close friends.

You doubt me? Write your thoughts down in detail Seal it in an envolope and open it up 10 years from now.

Some were from stupidity, some alcohol was involved some the did everything right and never saw it coming.

You think it will never happen to you. Well they didn't either.

Old 04-21-2004, 07:59 AM

Default Re: (virginia_dude)

I think you should get it if you want the b16 swapped crx...It doesnt matter how fast it is if you have the common sense not to speed, streetrace etc. Im 17 and I know I could drive just about any car and be ok because I have the respect for them and I know what can happen to you...My first car was a bone stock integra ls...I had that for about a year and got my si...just make sure you are careful because I have been aroun b16 swapped crx's and they arent slow

Virginia_dude is right though..having a faster car can get you in trouble way quicker than if you had a slow car, but even a stock crx si can get you killed..You just gotta have respect for the car and dont do anything stupid..Learn to drive it, go to the track and have your fun
Old 04-22-2004, 12:08 PM

Default Re: (JokerTypeR)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JokerTypeR &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Hold up, are you sayin' you CAN'T sink in 7K? Cuz I've got a friend that's got about 11K (give or take a grand, I don't remember exacts.) And I can vouch for it, that mother is fast. I'll list what I can...cuz he's selling it for 5K right now, Atlanta, Ga:
B16A(?) with racing pistons, rings, rods, I THINK valve job, 5spd SI trans, stage...I think it's like 2 or 3 clutch, stripped interior, original paint, engine has I'd imagne under 50K still, racing suspension set up, racing ECU, cross bars, 16" Spoon (ROTA Slipstream style, Black, and I THINK they are TRUE Spoon rims, but don't mark my words) with low profile tires, stock body, racing seats, JDM gauges, driver has 5 pt. harness, I THINK he finally got the pass. harness in, racing steering wheel, racing exhaust. The kid went ALL out on it, I can't even list all he's done to it, but let me tell you, that piece can FLY. He's selling it for 5K cuz he needs the college cash and a truck. I'll see if I can't get the site up on here tonight and if anyone's interested, just get in contact with me and I'll get ya'll in contact with him. His car is in Ga (I think) but he's up in north or south carolina starting his military career. Yet another reason he doesn't need this car, but I promise you it's worth every penny.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Here's that website I was talkin' about...with the CRx for sale. Get in contact with me if you may be interested in his car. Again, 5K is all he's askin', and again, it's HELLA worth every penny...

http://usedbarcode.net/~mc_rio...20CRX/

Just e-mail me, VIPERGTS182@hotmail.com
Old 04-22-2004, 12:40 PM

i think one of the reasons i think i know how to drive is because i live on a small island in the middle of the sea....the farthest i can go from here is 30 miles in both directions ...we have no freeways and stuff...just one lane each way...someplaces to overtake people but thats it...i know if i move to the states, i'd have to start over again and be way more cautious....but if you came here...to kauai, you wouldnt experience any of that stuff...yah we have some pretty screwed up stuff that happens here, but its not as bad as where you're from because of population and stuff....
Old 04-22-2004, 03:36 PM
rst

The roads im on every day suck...but everyone still drives+learns manual.
Dont be put off by a manual transmission whatever you do.
But i would have to say that big power at such a young age isnt the wisest. Its a simple matter of inexperience.
Old 04-22-2004, 03:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: too agressive? (Mr. S)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Mr. S &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Yeah. No 16 year old kid should have a 14 second car with a touchy clutch. It's a recipe for disaster. Go find a K Car </TD></TR></TABLE>

my first car.

Im 16.

Crx with b18c swap.

I cant wait to start driving this bad boy.

-Eric
Old 04-22-2004, 04:18 PM

ok its been a while since i posted on this board but this seems worth it...
my first car was a 73 nova, within a year of purchasing it myself at 17 it had a 355 that was producing 411whp and 421 ft lb, now this isnt the bestcar for a 17 y/o kid but I was responsible with it, and never hurt a damn person. I didnt show off excessivly with it or nut it up in situations where it was uncalled for. When I was 18 I purchased a 89 crx dx. After 4 months it was swapped with a b16a i/h/e 6 puck. Good lil car, great fun but once you start building them they are no fun on the street at all. Im actually driving a toyota p/u now because it is more comfy then my built up rex. A swapped crx vibrates like hell, and a 6 puck is not fun in traffic at all. The next mod to my crx will be one of 2 things... strip it and non op it so its a strict track car or its gonna have a stock d15 bottom end with a a6 head on it. We dont need kids out here with high hp cars running around making the import crowd look bad, and if you have a swapped car prepare to pay bcuz the cops are cracking down and popping hoods. Just do this for me and the true enthusiast...DONT RUIN IT FOR THE REST OF US
Old 04-22-2004, 05:00 PM

Default Re: (Josh717)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Josh717 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">and if you have a swapped car prepare to pay bcuz the cops are cracking down and popping hoods</TD></TR></TABLE>

the rex w/ b16 that im lookin at now passes smog and has CA bar approval luckily. also one more thing, you were sayin how urs vibrated a lot, now w/ just a b16 not 6 puck and all that other stuff u were talkin about would it still vibrate a lot?
Old 04-22-2004, 06:17 PM

Default Re: (d spamony)

Check the motor mounts and if they are hasport u will feel the engine idle in ur ***
i think thats what he's sayin...
Old 04-22-2004, 06:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by virginia_dude &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

And far too many TEENAGERS don't live long enough to make it BEYOND their teenage years because they though it was cool to have a fast car, streetrace and generally do stupid **** because Hey you are only a teenager once.

Very few teenagers have the maturity, and the common sense to have a fast car. Much less the driving skills. Don't believe me just ask any 25 year old or older person. At 16 you don't know jack **** about driving, if you believe you are a great driver at 16 you need to be driving a School bus to carry your over-inflated ego.

You may learn how to drive it in a week, You don't master jack **** in a week.

I hate to hear about any 16 year old being killed because they think they are Speed Racer are invincible and know everything there is to know about driving just because they passed a real simple test only an idiot would fail. Try taking a Drivers test in Europe. Guarantee you 95% of the people who pass their test here first time will fail it there. I was 16 once. I was Also 26 once and 36 once too..

Modified by virginia_dude at 10:39 PM 3/31/2004</TD></TR></TABLE>

Here's my take on this whole thing. Yes, I do agree that there are certain cars that a new driver should NOT have because they are too fast. But a B16A CRX? Come on, now! A B16A CRX is not THAT fast. It is certainly no Viper, Vette, or Ferarri. A B16A CRX is actually quite docile. And it takes some determination to make it go 'fast'. Furthermore, it does not have nearly enough torque to make it lurch from under you or oversteer (its FWD!) due to an inadvertant blip of the throttle.

Also keep in mind that an underpowered car is not necessarily the safest thing for a new driver (or anybody out there) to have. Although most people (at least most Americans) seem to equate speed with danger and slow with safety, slow is not necessarily safe. A slow car will be MUCH more difficult and dangerous to merge with (This is NOT something you want a new driver having to deal with!). A slow car will also be a hazard on steep hills since it presents an obstacle. A driver not paying close attention (like talking on their cellphone) can rear-end such a car. Or someone could try to pass in a hazardous situation. It is for these reasons why even a magazine like Consumer Reports (which cares little about power) considers at least adequate power to be essential. Slow cars also tend to handle poorly (Ever driven a Ford Aspire or Geo Metro?). This means that an inexperienced driver is going to be less likely to get out of any 'trouble' that they get themselves into.

So what is the best car for a new driver? One that has adequate power and handles well. And I would hardly consider a B16A CRX to be overpowered.
Old 04-22-2004, 08:08 PM

Default Re: (StorminMatt)

your absolutly right a b16a crx is hardly that fast, ive driven and rode in many sub 12 second cars, but they were in the hands of a capable driver.

Most mounts out there will vibrate like no tommorow, the clutch has nothing to do with that, it is just no fun in traffic, but 4th gear chirps on the freeway are fun

Thatd be way cool if it was bar approved, and that would also mean the car is obd1, if thats the case...cool more power to ya, but after a couple of years going fast on the street gets really old, thats why I stick to motorcycles now, they make most any car feel pathetic.
Old 04-22-2004, 08:29 PM

Default Re: (Josh717)

ok i get the jist of things now. im probably gonna get it. its either that, or my dads ford taurus lol. wow, i just realized this is an extremely long post lol. feel free to keep the opinions comin. im sure virginia_dude has more stories to tell

Modified by d spamony at 10:20 PM 4/22/2004
Old 04-22-2004, 09:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

7 pages, my eyes are dry from reading. you could publish a book on all this.

thinking back when i was 16, if i had a crx with a b16, i probably would of gotten into too much trouble. its bound to happen. you know whats under the hood,you have a general idea of what you can and cant beat and what happens one day, your crusing along and some guy with a modded gs-t or a f-body come rolling along and you just cant resist. you think, whats the chances of getting caught this once, and boom, po-po nails you at 110 in a 45! thats being 16 ! ive seen it too many times. no matter what, the URGE will kill ya before you decide to forget about racing someone who will give you a close run. now that im 25, i can honestly say fu*k it, the tickets/jail/license/car/risk isnt worth it. i go to the track whenever i can, if someone messes with me on the street, it MIGHT be alittle 2nd and a tad of 3rd gear run, thats it-away from traffic. just think of the worst scenerio possible before you act

me and a friend of mine almost got yourselfs killed on new years eve this past year, that put everything into perspective !!
Old 04-22-2004, 09:23 PM

Default Re: (1point5CRX)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 1point5CRX &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">me and a friend of mine almost got yourselfs killed on new years eve this past year, that put everything into perspective !!</TD></TR></TABLE>

glad u dudes r ok but ya thats what ppl have been saying, its not a bad car to drive, its just if i can resist the peer pressure
Old 04-22-2004, 09:32 PM

Default Re: too agressive? (d spamony)

I'll tell you what... you want it go buy it! The question is can you afford the insurance for a 16 year old in a car with that motor LOL Anyways that whole age thing is BS! It all depends on the kid, when I was 16 I already had 4 years of driving experience from a jeep at the lake. All depends on the individual teenager.
Old 04-23-2004, 04:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Exactly........and few guys your age can do that. Thats the whole problem. And the danger. Nothing bad intended. Just a fact of life when you are in school.

No true freind pressure you to do something dumb. And a lot of your "Friends" you will find really aren't.

Get in a bind and see who goes out of their way to help you. You will be surprised.

SOme of who you considered your best friends will be the first to abandone you and the least likely guy will be the one to go out of his way to help.

Never underestimate peer pressure. Nearly any kid can be pressured to do something he never set out to do.

Old 04-23-2004, 04:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: too agressive? (oxstarsstripesxo)

4 years off road has ZERO relevance to anticipating things on the street.

Steering the car is the easy part.

Anticipating the idiot in the next lane takes experience, and that takes years.

And being a great driver and avoiding accidents means you learn to sense and know whats going on all around you at ALL times. That too takes years to develope ON THE STREET.

4 years in a jeep offroad does NOT prepare you for the daily hazards of driving.

I've done a lot of off roading, I've done more street miles than most of the people who have answered this thread COMBINED.

and I have been Licensed to drive since 1978.

I see a LOT of overconfidence in your post. That is what gets someone in the most trouble on the street.
Old 04-23-2004, 04:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (StorminMatt)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by StorminMatt &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Here's my take on this whole thing. Yes, I do agree that there are certain cars that a new driver should NOT have because they are too fast. But a B16A CRX? Come on, now! A B16A CRX is not THAT fast. It is certainly no Viper, Vette, or Ferarri. A B16A CRX is actually quite docile. And it takes some determination to make it go 'fast'. Furthermore, it does not have nearly enough torque to make it lurch from under you or oversteer (its FWD!) due to an inadvertant blip of the throttle.

Also keep in mind that an underpowered car is not necessarily the safest thing for a new driver (or anybody out there) to have. Although most people (at least most Americans) seem to equate speed with danger and slow with safety, slow is not necessarily safe. A slow car will be MUCH more difficult and dangerous to merge with (This is NOT something you want a new driver having to deal with!). A slow car will also be a hazard on steep hills since it presents an obstacle. A driver not paying close attention (like talking on their cellphone) can rear-end such a car. Or someone could try to pass in a hazardous situation. It is for these reasons why even a magazine like Consumer Reports (which cares little about power) considers at least adequate power to be essential. Slow cars also tend to handle poorly (Ever driven a Ford Aspire or Geo Metro?). This means that an inexperienced driver is going to be less likely to get out of any 'trouble' that they get themselves into.

So what is the best car for a new driver? One that has adequate power and handles well. And I would hardly consider a B16A CRX to be overpowered.</TD></TR></TABLE>

A b16 swap in a CRX is quick.......when not iff the driver overdrives the car and loses it and hits something or someone.... lots of protection there....

And can you honestly sit there with a straight face and tell me no teenager was ever tempted to "see what it will do"

You know I find your post almost funny if it wasn't so tradgic. Its the It won't happen to me attitude.

It belies your age. No 16 year old is going to know how to properly react if he overdrives the car and ends up in an out of control situation. And a teenager is far more likely to find himself in that situation, , Too fast for a turn too fas for conditions.....

Its always something you never anticipated.

If you saw it coming then you were an idiot if you did nothing and had an accident.

You can avoid anything you can see coming. Its the stuff you find youself in the middle of without warning that gets you in trouble.

A quick car is a temptation. With temptation you do something dumb... when you do something dumb enough times you WILL have an accident.

A sedate or slow car has no such temptation. and if it does its less powerful.

I speek from the voice of someone who has lived it, and done it, the good and the bad.

Old 04-23-2004, 05:48 AM
I took way too long

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I see no problem with a 16 year old and a b16. my car is a 14.2 second car and i haven't had a problem yet. i am 16. and i have had 2 years of driving experience. now i KNOW it is not much at all, but you tend to pick up a few things. i think if you're a cautious driver and know when to use the 'power' LOL of the b16, then you should get it.
Old 04-23-2004, 06:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (slowman)

The problem is not the car ts the driver.....Like I stated before 16-18 you think you are a great driver if you never had an accident.

When you are 28 you know it was just because you were lucky.

any 16-18 year old that is ready to argue the are a great driver is overconfident.

the most important lessons they never teach you in school take years to learn and master.
Old 04-23-2004, 08:25 AM

Default Re: (slowman)

If I was 16 and had the car I do now I would not have a licence anymore. Some kids can handle a quick car responsibly and some can't.

If the kid can control himself get it, if not, don't. Looking back, I am glad an 85 Accord was my first car...

Any car that traps around 95 MPH should not be in the hands of an irresponsible kid.... A b16 rex is easy to drive fast...
Old 04-23-2004, 08:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (hybrid honda)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by hybrid honda &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">If I was 16 and had the car I do now I would not have a licence anymore. Some kids can handle a quick car responsibly and some can't.

If the kid can control himself get it, if not, don't. Looking back, I am glad an 85 Accord was my first car...

Any car that traps around 95 MPH should not be in the hands of an irresponsible kid.... A b16 rex is easy to drive fast...</TD></TR></TABLE>

Exactly and car thats easy to drive fast is fast to get driven outside the envelope of control. When that happens an inexperienced driver ( anyone with less than 5 years and in some cases far more) gets in a situation they make incorrect decisions.

And sometimes the don't live long enough to learn from it.
Old 04-23-2004, 09:20 AM
PlastikOwl

Someone compared the car to a porsche or ferarri...the difference between the two...is a 65-90mph collision won't kill you in one of those. A crx is not a safe car....people argue and say it passed a 5 star safety test when they were released... (yes...over 10 years ago). But that's bullshit... I'm not sure who all saw my pictures from the last page before my %$#@%@# server went down. That was at 35-40mph... imagine it at 65-75 on the freeway. Hell..imagine it at 80-100..

As good of a driver you may think you are, or as observant as you may think you are... **** happens and it's often unavoidable. I was coming into an intersection when some moron pulled in front of me across my lane because he wasn't paying attention...threw the car sideways as much as I possibly could and still got fucked over... and I got to go through 3 months of physical therapy and **** up my christmas holiday and trip to Utah. My back won't be the same for over a year probably, and I'm 20 years old. 95mph trap speed crx? I'm sorry but the day you or someone else ***** up...you're not going to be around to see tomorrow in a crx.

I stuck it on another server and I'm going to wave the bloody shirt once more on this to make a point.

Where's the fender you ask? It was ripped from the car and is now about the size of a damn coke can.

speed of impact probably wasn't much more than 30-35mph... I was going 37-40 when I hit the brakes...probably slowed a bit... and the vehicle I hit was turning sideways and not moving towards me...had he turned any later...or I'd be moving much faster...I'd have probably hit his front end head on and been taking a ride in an ambulance or a hearse. That wreck at low speed = 3 months physical therapy..fucked up back for at LEAST a year probably. And a nice intense amount of pain for the first 2 months..and that was with taking like 8-9 ******* pills a day.
Old 04-23-2004, 09:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (PlastikOwl)

Oh that was you.......damn, that clain was hardly worth the pain to be in that much pain for that long.....

Like we both know what gets you is the thing you don't see coming.

Proper reactions to situation (something learned over time) mean the difference between walking away from something and being worm food.

A quick car will get you there quicker.
Old 04-23-2004, 09:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: too agressive? (d spamony)

start off with something small and work your way up

Quick Reply: too agressive?