Notices

Teach jumping around????ASAP

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2003, 05:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tach jumping around????ASAP

Ok i drive normal and around 3k the tach drops down then comes back real quick and the motor studders but just a quick studder. ITs a ZC with a ZC ECU this just started recently. And when i just sit and rev the car the tach doesn't drop smoothly. And I have no codes what could the prob be????

Modified by evilcrx at 9:35 PM 9/11/2003
Old 09-11-2003, 05:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

pop your distributor cap off and make sure all your connections are nice and tight on the ignitor...... check all 4 of them clean em up if necessary and put them back on nice and tight......... if they dont go on real tight take some pliers and crimp the spade a lil more so it goes on tighter................. if it doesnt work then its prolly the ignitor........ while ur there check your cap and rotor..........
Old 09-11-2003, 05:54 PM

Default Re: Tach jumping around????ASAP (evilcrx)

While you're in the dist., make sure there is no oil leaking through the dist shaft seal into the dist. If you find oil in there, look closely to where it is running. Often, the oil will saturate the TDC sensor or pickup, and cause lots of problems. Another thing to check while you're in that dist. is the coil. Remove it, then remove the metal heat sink cover on the back of it. Inspect the backside of the coil for burnt spots; they look white, and usually have a matching spot on the metal heat sink cover you just removed. If you find some, replace the coil, it is shorting to ground.
Old 09-12-2003, 02:44 PM

Default Re: Tach jumping around????ASAP (blueHwrench)

Ok does anyone have a pic of the ignitor??? The car still starts and idles fine just when you give it gas its fine for a lil then the tach jumps everywhere. THe motor misses from it for a few seconds then it comes back....you sure its the dizzy???
Old 09-12-2003, 02:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

On OBD0 CRX's it is under the coil at the bottom edge of the dizzy with 3 or 4 spade connectors coming out of it with wires attached to those spades. It is a small dark brown or black square shaped chip, about the size of a matchbook, but about 2 matchbooks thick.
The connectors coming off those spades need to be CLEAN, DRY AND VERY TIGHT. I had the same problems as you.
HTH
Old 09-12-2003, 03:54 PM

Default Re: Tach jumping around????ASAP (4crx4me)

ok the engine dies and cuts back in when the tach is jumping around so would i still just be the ignitor???
Old 09-12-2003, 05:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by evilcrx &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">ok the engine dies and cuts back in when the tach is jumping around so would i still just be the ignitor???</TD></TR></TABLE>
See my above post.
Check that the connectors going to the ignitor are on good and straight and TIGHT. Use di-electric grease on them too, and make sure the connections on the coil wires are tight and clean as well. That's all I did and it fixed all those problems. I Didn't need a coil or ignitor. If after you do all that and the car still does it try testing the coil and ignitor.
HTH
Old 09-12-2003, 05:23 PM

Default Re: Tach jumping around????ASAP (4crx4me)

mine sorta does the same thing but only once and i while. i have the d16a6 tho sometimes if i break 4k the tack bounces around but the engine runs normal what is that ?
Old 09-12-2003, 05:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Tach jumping around????ASAP (redrex)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by redrex &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">mine sorta does the same thing but only once and i while. i have the d16a6 tho sometimes if i break 4k the tack bounces around but the engine runs normal what is that ?</TD></TR></TABLE>

read the stuff above...........
Old 09-12-2003, 07:15 PM

Default Re: Tach jumping around????ASAP (sloorex)

my prob keeps getting worse and worse all the connections are good i even tried an ignitor from a 93 Del Sol S d15B7 and it just did the same thing. All the connections are very tight and good. Ill try for the 10 time in the morning.
Old 09-12-2003, 08:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

If you're sure everything is tight and clean and you swapped in a good ignitor and that didn't help, try swapping the coil. If that doesn't help maybe you need a new dizzy or it's your main relay. Although the main relay would have no effect on the tach jumping around.
Old 09-12-2003, 11:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Check your battery ground cable. I had this happen to me a couple times when the tach would drop and jump around and I would get no Vtec . Ahh, the joys of the EF life.
Old 09-13-2003, 06:12 AM

Default Re: Tach jumping around????ASAP (Blown90hatcH)

Ive had the same thing happen to mine but it use to be alot worse, now it rarely ever jumps around. Wierd because I didnt do anything that would have fixed it.
Old 09-13-2003, 07:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Tach jumping around????ASAP (Blown90hatcH)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Blown90hatcH &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Check your battery ground cable. I had this happen to me a couple times when the tach would drop and jump around and I would get no Vtec . Ahh, the joys of the EF life.</TD></TR></TABLE>
Along similar lines to what Jason said above, check ALL of the grounds in the engine bay. Make sure they are clean, non-corroded, dry, AND TIGHT. Especially the ones near the back of the engine.
I forgot to post this earlier, thanks to JK, for reminding me. LOL
HTH