Notices

Stiff steering?

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2011, 10:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stiff steering?

Is there any adjustment that can be made to loosen it up? What I mean is when driving straight, and I need to make subtle changes, the wheel is so stiff that when I make a change, it's hard to turn the wheel. Then when it turns, I have to correct it in the other direction cause I had to use so much force to get it to turn. I'm not talking about building my forearms stiff, but stiffer than other cars.

I'm used to bigger, American muscle, V8s with a steering box, (no rack and pinion) and they have an adjustment for this type of thing.

Just wondering.

I was thinking that the previous owner tightened up the steering to get rid of the loose feel that the bad inner tie rod was giving it.

Thanks.
Old 11-12-2011, 05:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Stiff steering?

Along the top side of the rack there is an adjustment screw with a giant lock nut (40mm) you will have to loosen. Honda sells a wrench, of course, but you can either make a long slender 40mm box wrench of your own or use a hammer and a punch to loosen the lock nut. you cannot use a regular wrench because it's to big.

Once loose, turn the adjuster in until it bottoms, then retighten the lock nut. You may have to do this procedure a few times to get it just right as this is one of those things that works best by trial and error. now thats how you tighten it, but in your case just try and loosen it a bit. if that doesnt work, check your front end parts and get an alignment