Notices

sounds like nails in a can

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2006, 08:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default sounds like nails in a can

Ok heres the story. After converting to mpfi not to long ago in my 91 civic hatch d15b2 I installed the si cam in not too long ago. However i did set the valve lash according to the "si" cam position rather than dx BUT as far as the timing belt is concerned I installed the si cam and si cam gear in the exact tooth/tooth setting rather than how people say "install it with the cam gear 1 tooth forward(advanced).
It ran good, had some greater valve train noise than before but ran good.

HOWEVEr today i decided to put the cam gear 1 notch forward like most of the SI CAM DIY instructions say. I did so successfully but this time when doing the valve lash( car was cold and sitting unstarted for 9 hours like should be) I set the lash using a 0.008 feeler guage on the intake side but at the actual rocker to valve rather than on the actual cam lobe like before. And 0.011 on the exhaust but as i said, before i set the lash by sliding the feeler in the rocker/lobe but this time rocker/valve as thats how it says to do on the manuals or atleast shows that.

SO i start it up its waaayy quieter than before and when i let it warm up the same is the case. Even when idling and i rev it and to wot everything seems fine. HOwever as soon as theres load on it , it sounds like a bunch of nails or bb's bouncing around in a can like rattling type sound.

I thought maybe i adjusted the valves too tight so i backed off each one about less than 1/4 turn thinking this would solve the problem but it didnt seems like it did anything. So (not jumping the dizzy) i moved the distributor manually all the way retarded...same thing, advanced same thing, so its a little more advanced then at the halfway point now.

Does anyone know what this rattling could be related too? is it the valves? timing?
Old 06-18-2006, 08:54 PM

ok..after thinking about it again....it sorr of sounds like a loose bolt in a my exhaust..but the reality is that theres noting in the exhaust..but thats wat is sounds like under load
Old 06-18-2006, 10:28 PM

well.....i put the cam gear back at the setting it was initially...and that sound is no longer present....i guess it was detonation as the timing might have been wayyy off as i wasnt using an adjustable gear...atleast now i know