Notices

Poor running D15...yet again.

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2008, 04:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Poor running D15...yet again.

Problem lies somewhere with spark I think.

This is what its like on those "freak days" when it wants to be an *******:
On cold starts SOMETIMES it barely starts then clugs to a 400rpm chug. Then if you rev the car it goes up to 1200...then as the car warms up slightly it goes to 1700rpm like normal. Then when I back up out of the driveway, it stalls out. Then I restart the car and it idles at 1100 fine. Then when accelerating it jerks and chugs forward and doesn't want to go above 3000rpm. And sounds like a cat throwing up when doing so. Then in a mile it runs perfect.

This is what it drives like on a normal day
Starts up fine, drives fine out of the driveway. Then at a random stoplight anywhere between point A and point B it idles at around 200 and sounds like it's trying to eat itself so I put the ebrake on and rev it and it idles fine then. Then at somepoint about 7 to 10 miles into the drive. The car does ONE slip-chug deal forward and then a pop-fart sound comes out of the muffler and it drives fine the rest of the drive.

CEL codes are no help for me. Because no matter what (if I hit a speed bump too fast, for example) it will throw CEL code 4.

Everyone is telling me plugs and wires. But my plugs are only 2,000 miles old. And the wires that were on the car are in pretty good shape. I removed them and reinstalled them looking for moisture and there was none. And the contacts seem brand new. They also fit pretty snug on the distributor. And the car runs freaking great in between these slip ups.

Cap and rotor are also 2,000 miles old.
Old 11-20-2008, 06:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Eighty-Nyne
CEL codes are no help for me. Because no matter what (if I hit a speed bump too fast, for example) it will throw CEL code 4.
Code 4 is for a malfunctioning CKP sensor. This certainly could be causing your problems. Do the checks of the sensor given in any of the free online service manuals and report back.

The CKP sensor is one of three engine control sensors inside the distributor housing. It is common for any one of these sensors to fail on older distributor housings. The most practical fix is to replace the housing. The new housing will get you all three sensors. From all my reading on failed housing parts, I now recommend replacing it every 150k miles/10 years, whichever comes first.

The first thing to do when a car is running poorly is check for codes and eliminate any that exist. The CEL yada system is there for a reason.
Old 11-20-2008, 09:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i also concur. it sounds like your dizzy has gone to poop lol