Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Please help, acceleration problem

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2004, 12:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Please help, acceleration problem

Hi, I have a 1999 civic ex(1.6 SOHC V-TEC) with 45,000 miles on it. My car runs beautifully when it is cold. When I say cold I am not refering to sitting over night but I mean I have gone for a drive and parked the car and 1-2 hrs later I jump in the car again and it runs amazing. After a while once the car gets the chance to warm up, it's starts to lack power. I hit the accelerator and it just doesn't move nearly as well as it does when it is cold. It like hesitates feels like you got a really heavy load in the car. Even if I floor it or drop the gear, the rpm rises and the engine roars, but the acceleration is not as quick or smooth as it should be through out the entire rpm powerband.
I recently purchased a performance muffler for my car, now it wasn't brand new, slightly used but in excellent condition. It wasn't a universal one, it was actually made for my car. Now the way these mufflers work (I think, because it does it with my car) the warmer your car gets the louder the sound of the muffler gets. Now this goes hand in hand with the problem I am having. AS THE ENGINE GETS WARMER, THE MUFFLER GETS LOUDER, AND AS THE MUFFLER GETS LOUDER THE CAR STARTS TO HESITATE. It could be that the muffler and the problem I am having are not related and are just seperately reacting to the operating temperature of the vehicle.

I really really appreciate any help you can give me.
Old 07-15-2004, 02:04 AM

Default Re: Please help, acceleration problem (skhalid420)

hot air...bad for car, cold air....good for car....hence cold air intake. now im not a pro but i can say this much, when theres heat theres a lack of hp, as a newbie i know what its like to get flamed and before it happens i recommend you read up some more and check out the infamous search button on your top right hand side...recommend the usual cold air intake, headers, and full catback
Old 07-15-2004, 04:21 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Please help, acceleration problem (skhalid420)

get on a dyno, and run 2 duffrents runs, get some ACTUAL info.. not this kiddy butt dyno bullshit. I'm glad you got a muffler, sounds very exciting. I would suggest clubsi if your just sytarting out.
Old 07-15-2004, 06:52 AM

Yeah I'm just starting out. I got a pretty good muffler, it's not unneccesarily annoyingly loud, but it's very deep especially when vtec kicks in.

thanks, i'll try the dyno.
Old 07-15-2004, 08:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: (skhalid420)

I think you just get used to the feel after a while. After you get out and get back in it just feels different since you aren't used to it anymore.

Butt dynos suck for actual performance evaluation.