Notices

Ok to use used CV joints from junkyard?

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2006, 01:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ok to use used CV joints from junkyard?

I searched, but couldn't find anything that really answered my question.

I'm planning on replacing the CV joints on my 1990 Civic Wagon (auto). I was looking at just getting cheap remanufactured ones, but I heard that they only last a year or two. My other option (besides getting new OEM ones, which is VERY expensive) is too get some used axles from a junkyard. My question is: Is it better to get used factory axles, or remanufactured "new" ones? And if I do go to the junkyard, how do I determine that an axle is OEM, and that it is ok to use (besides the obvious cracked boot)? I guess another question is how long would it take per side? I have done some work on cars before, and my brother is pretty experienced when to comes to fixing cars.

TIA
Old 12-05-2006, 01:58 PM
be professional

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Re: Ok to use used CV joints from junkyard? (CivicWagonRUS)

I've pulled used axles from junk cars to use on my own car. As long as the boot is still intact, chances are that it is good. I put on new boots before installing the axle just as preventative maintenance.
Old 12-05-2006, 02:08 PM

Default Re: Ok to use used CV joints from junkyard? (Targa250R)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Targa250R &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I've pulled used axles from junk cars to use on my own car. As long as the boot is still intact, chances are that it is good. I put on new boots before installing the axle just as preventative maintenance.</TD></TR></TABLE>

How much does a used axle go for at a junkyard? Also, is it difficult to replace the boot?

EDIT: forgot to ask, will axles out of say, a stick shift hatch fit the wagon ok?

Modified by CivicWagonRUS at 6:38 PM 12/5/2006
Old 12-05-2006, 02:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i dont think manual axles fit automatic axles
Old 12-05-2006, 04:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I've gotten a bunch of used ones from the junkyard. Around here they're like 25-30 bucks each I think. Make sure the boot is intact, and the joint isn't loose. The end piece should stay a little erect(?) hahahah. but yeah, it should stay up instead of slouching right over. If it's loose, don't get it. I don't think you can use manual axles on an automatic. Try to find your exact model car for the least amount of problems. good luck
Old 12-05-2006, 05:33 PM

Default Re: Ok to use used CV joints from junkyard? (goosane)

I think there's a couple of Auto sedans at HorseHeads Pick a Part, but if they charge $25 an axle, I might just spring for the reburbished ones. Save me the 2 hour drive, and some hassle. So i hear Autozone gives a warranty on their Duralast axles? And how long does it take per side? I think I have everything that I'll need (breaker bar for hub nut, pickle fork, various wrenches). So you first have to break the hub nut loose while the car is one the ground and the wheel is on? Then you have to undo some suspenion and brake components? I have a Haynes manual, but I was thinking you guys might have some time and effort saving tips for me. Thanks again.
Old 12-05-2006, 07:25 PM

i am going to do the same thing to my car...the use of an impact gun is ok?
Old 12-06-2006, 04:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Ok to use used CV joints from junkyard? (RockWolf)

It's not really necessary to use impact tools unless the axle nut is really stuck stuck. Make sure to undent that little part, i forgot what it's called. I heard you shouldn't use impact tools when tightening it because it has to be torqued properly or else your bearings and new axle will wear out extremely fast. I've had that happen to me and I wanted to punch a wall.
Old 12-06-2006, 05:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 28 Likes on 28 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by CivicWagonRUS &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
will axles out of say, a stick shift hatch fit the wagon ok?</TD></TR></TABLE>
yes, manual and automatic axles are all the same in the Civic DX/Si hatch, Civic 4door DX/LX/EX and Civic 2wd wagon as well as the CRX DX and Si - the 4wd wagon does have different axles - the Civic STD and CRX HF also have different axles from the others (HF and STD axles are the same)
Old 12-09-2006, 05:00 AM

Default Re: Ok to use used CV joints from junkyard? (jlicrx)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jlicrx &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
yes, manual and automatic axles are all the same in the Civic DX/Si hatch, Civic 4door DX/LX/EX and Civic 2wd wagon as well as the CRX DX and Si - the 4wd wagon does have different axles - the Civic STD and CRX HF also have different axles from the others (HF and STD axles are the same) </TD></TR></TABLE>

Thanks, that's exactly what I was looking for.