Notices

Oil Temp sensor/sender HOW-TO (one way) (no 56k)

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2003, 03:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil Temp sensor/sender HOW-TO (one way) (no 56k)

I used the *Oil Temperature sensor drain plug* From a volkwagen website Illustrated here:
http://www22.inetba.com/larrys....html

Drain plug that fits the honda's is part number: VDO 323-055 14mm thread Drain Plug Sender:

Then I bought one of those VDO guages from the same site because they were small and (stealthy): cockpit series #VDO 310-012

Here's the install pictures.:

I DID NOT use the outside sheething for this install! You'll see what I mean below!

I had to be creative with how I routed the wire but I covered it in electrical tape (cuz I didn't have wire covering lying around) and I zip tied it to my steering rack so there isn't any slack and it stays off my intermediate shaft!

At track days my Oil temps are 240-265 or so. That's with the JDM b16's stock water to oil cooler on the block.

All pictures here at my imagestation account:

http://www.imagestation.com/al...78259

Modified by rice_classic at 11:24 AM 11/4/2003
Old 06-17-2003, 03:56 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Oil Temp sensor/sender HOW-TO (rice_classic)

Wow, those are really high oil temps, are they not?
Old 06-17-2003, 04:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Oil Temp sensor/sender HOW-TO (raene)

[QUOTE=raene]Wow, those are really high oil temps, are they not?[/QUOTEYes they seem VERY high, but then again he said track days so he's probably running it really hard. My oil temp on my b17 is about 200-210 on a hot day while doing some around town and freeway driving. You should seriously consider an external oil cooler...
Old 06-17-2003, 04:58 PM

uhhmm....nice seats???
Old 06-17-2003, 05:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (shorti)

Around town on a 90 degree day I run about 180-190 degree oil temp. On track days (when I run for sessions longer than 20 minutes) I will reach 260 or so.

They are seat covers because my seats are disintegrating.
B16's, ITR and what not run hot at the track that's all there is to it. My engine will be just fine. I don't see myself installing an oil cooler because this is my daily driver so I'm not running it at the track for more than 1 hour at a crack.

Nonetheless, this is a post about installing an oil temp. sensor and not about install an oil cooler or what my seats look like.
Old 06-17-2003, 09:45 PM
New User

Default Re: (shorti)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by shorti &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">uhhmm....nice seats???</TD></TR></TABLE>
ROFL. Those seat covers look like something my acid head step mother would put in her maxima...
Old 06-18-2003, 07:52 AM

Default Re: (rice_classic)

You can't make a post about installing an oil temp sensor and expect no one to comment on the extremely high oil temps you're seeing AFAIK at that temp oil begins to break down. I'd only heard of ITRs seeing in the 220-230 range at the track, which is why I commented.

Nevertheless, despite the attitude, good thread...
Old 06-18-2003, 10:27 AM

Default Re: Oil Temp sensor/sender HOW-TO (rice_classic)

thats gotta be a nice thing to have, i've been thinking about it myself, but my cars just a daily driver, and just a d15b2, but i'd still like to watch my engine a little closer. Also, im getting a d16z6 sometime soon anyways, so it'd be nice to have for that.
also, do you have any better pics on how you mounted that gauge?
nice install btw
Old 06-18-2003, 10:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (raene)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by raene &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">You can't make a post about installing an oil temp sensor and expect no one to comment on the extremely high oil temps you're seeing AFAIK at that temp oil begins to break down. I'd only heard of ITRs seeing in the 220-230 range at the track, which is why I commented.

Nevertheless, despite the attitude, good thread... </TD></TR></TABLE>

You're right I may have had some Attitude but I am used to reading about honda motors run hot because they were designed to... Check out Yoshi's quote in this thread: https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=182517
It says:
<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">was just reading the latest Option mag w/ a little article from spoon.
Mr. Spoon was saying that most non honda motors will let go w/ oil temps at 130º or more. He then went on to say that the materials used by Honda, especially in the type R motors, are so much better than other mfg's that oil temps of 140º+ and rev'ing it out to redline on the track is not a problem for DC2/EK9s. Also, he said that oil coolers are unnecessary since the potential problems outweigh the benefits. (I didn't get a chance to read further about these potential problems, since I had to get back to work )

For those knowledgable about these sorts of things, what do you think of what mr. spoon had to say?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Also, in the "Best Motoring" Video about the "honda type R's" the ITR's saw temps well above 230.

Some other guys talk about 260 degree oil temps in this thread as well: https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=534899

So seeing 260 degree oil temps (for me) is normal and nothing to worry about. I also change my oil before every lapping day and bleed my brakes. If I hit 230+ just driving around town THEN I'd really worry!
Old 04-19-2005, 05:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Bump for new interest.

p.s. I don't have those seat covers anymore.
Old 04-19-2005, 05:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

thats a good idea, im gunna do that soon
Old 04-19-2005, 05:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: (LShatchie)

Doesn't the wire get all twisted when you take the drain plug off ? I would think after a while it would break. I would get some type of swivel connector or adapter. Also what car did this sending unit come off of ? When you start mixing sending units and gauges, you are gonna throw the accuracy off. I remember someone did a test with an autometer coolant gauge, and used the stock sensor. It was about 20 to 30 degrees off. Just things to think about.
Old 04-19-2005, 06:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (90blackcrx)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 90blackcrx &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Doesn't the wire get all twisted when you take the drain plug off ? I would think after a while it would break. I would get some type of swivel connector or adapter. Also what car did this sending unit come off of ? When you start mixing sending units and gauges, you are gonna throw the accuracy off. I remember someone did a test with an autometer coolant gauge, and used the stock sensor. It was about 20 to 30 degrees off. Just things to think about.</TD></TR></TABLE>

you unplug the wire
Old 04-19-2005, 08:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 90blackcrx &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Doesn't the wire get all twisted when you take the drain plug off ? I would think after a while it would break. I would get some type of swivel connector or adapter. Also what car did this sending unit come off of ? When you start mixing sending units and gauges, you are gonna throw the accuracy off. I remember someone did a test with an autometer coolant gauge, and used the stock sensor. It was about 20 to 30 degrees off. Just things to think about.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Every answer to your questions is in the initial post.
Old 04-19-2005, 09:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: (senpai)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by senpai &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

you unplug the wire </TD></TR></TABLE>

After looking at the sending unit I see that.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by rice_classic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Every answer to your questions is in the initial post. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Not all my questions were in answered in the first post.
Old 04-19-2005, 11:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 90blackcrx &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Not all my questions were in answered in the first post.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Actually they were.

This: "When you start mixing sending units and gauges, you are gonna throw the accuracy off.", was not a question. It was a statement.

neener neener

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">When you start mixing sending units and gauges, you are gonna throw the accuracy off. I remember someone did a test with an autometer coolant gauge, and used the stock sensor. It was about 20 to 30 degrees off. Just things to think about.</TD></TR></TABLE>

You do have a good point with this statement however, and it's good information since a fellow racer tried to run an Autometer gauge with a VDO sender and wondered why his oil temps were reading over 300. But since it was a "HOW-TO" on installing only VDO parts the topic of inter-manufacturing compatibility was a non-issue to say the least.

Good lookin' out though.
Old 04-20-2005, 12:46 AM

I'd use those seat covers Nothin wrong with some hawaiin print, much better than some "R type racing" ones or something.