Notices

Oil leak on b16 were could it be coming from

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2003, 06:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil leak on b16 were could it be coming from

Ok I work at a local tuner shop we built this all out race motor in a 88 cr-x the car is sick runs 11.2 all day long all motor the kid came back to the shop 2 days ago and said he had a oil leak so today we put it up on the lift and saw a small drip coming from the oil filter housing so I replaced the seal in there started the car and it was still leaking WTF so I pulled off the wet box thinking it was the o-ring in there and the o-ring was destroyed so I replaced that and it is still leaking the only thing I can think is that it is comming from the rear main seal but if it was wouldn't it be leaking onto the flywheel/pressure plate and those 2 have no oil on them anyone have any ideas tommorow I am going to do the oil pan gasket and the oil pump gasket I am trying to avoid dropping the tranny to check the rear main seal because I really don;t think that is it anyone have any ideas?
Old 05-23-2003, 10:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Oil leak on b16 were could it be coming from (turboZChatch)

11.2 all day isn't daily driven.. and if you built that engine, and your comming here for advise on a oil leak.. ide have doubts of going to you for work on my car. steam clean the engine.. can't be that dirty, and get a flashlight.. you need to know where its comming from.. i can't see threw honda tech at the car and tell you.
Old 05-23-2003, 10:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Oil leak on b16 were could it be coming from (Built B16A)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Built B16A &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">11.2 all day isn't daily driven.. and if you built that engine, and your comming here for advise on a oil leak.. ide have doubts of going to you for work on my car. steam clean the engine.. can't be that dirty, and get a flashlight.. you need to know where its comming from.. i can't see threw honda tech at the car and tell you. </TD></TR></TABLE>

first off 11.2 daily driven is not impsible because we have times for it
2 If you read my post it says I WORK at a local tuner shop not I own one
3 I am asking for help not an ******** opinions
4 I asked becasue I started on it at the end of the day and if I can go in in the morning and not have to rip the tranny off then I would like to do that
5 If youd on't have an educated answer then dont post to be a dick and get your post count up
6 I was thinknig maybe someone had a similer problem so I would ask here
Aint my fault your "Built b16" is slow
Old 05-23-2003, 10:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

hahahaha.. dont' get your panties in a bunch...

1 no.. its not impossible.. but ide like to see a full on drag car, daily driven...
2.. if you work at the shop, and not own it.. you'll have to work on it, not pawn your work off on a message board..
3 my opinion would be to look at the car.. i can't see **** from here..
4 look for the leak.. reffer to answer #3
5 i could give a **** less about my post count.. lol
6 hey, you got me on this one.. lol

and 12.6 is pretty good for a 1.6 all hand built.. no blue printing, and under 2K on parts.. not bad.. not bad at all.
Old 05-23-2003, 10:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Built B16A &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
i can't see **** from here..

and 12.6 is pretty good for a 1.6 all hand built.. no blue printing, and under 2K on parts.. not bad.. not bad at all. </TD></TR></TABLE>

and the only people that care about post count are the ones who complain.
Old 05-23-2003, 10:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Oil leak on b16 were could it be coming from (madeiniraq)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by madeiniraq &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> and the only people that care about post count are the ones who complain. </TD></TR></TABLE>
Yeah, thats what im talking about.. he lost alot of cool points when he brought that **** up.. lol
Old 05-23-2003, 10:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I am in no way "Getting my panties in a buch" I have bin working there for a month and I was trying to get a little advice on what to look for do you honestly think I didn't blow the oil of and carb clean it and watch for a leak if there was an obvious leak then I would't have posted anything and no 12.6 is not a bad time and I give you credit for doing it all yourself but like I said I was looking for some advice on what to look for and there is no obvious leak since you know so much about your "little 1.6" then you should know that from under the car the wet box and the oil filter housing are right next to eacother so it is most likely something in that area if anyone has any usefull advice feel free to post but built b16a I apreciate your attempt to be a messageboard tough guy know it all
Old 05-23-2003, 10:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

maybe the seal between the oil cooler and the block.. thats if you have the oil cooler..

Old 05-23-2003, 10:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

HEY GUYS! IM A MESSAGE BOARD TUFF GUY!

hahaha.. oil leaks.. lets see.. you say the filter area.. and not the o ring since you tested it.. well, the only other real place would be the breather box.. and if thats not it.. i would say head gasket probelms.. like i siad.. tehre's no real way of knowing untill you realy get in there.. im sure its not to hard to find.. when there's a leak, you keep going up. ive personaly never seen a oil filter adapter leak.. and the breather box is above the oil level, so it shoudlnt' leak either.. unless you have serious blow by and the PCV is gone..

if i were you, ide start from the bottom and go up.. if anything, no leaks are noticeable from the back of the block, ide look just under the intake manifold on the back of the block, and look for leaks. my race motor would puke oil out the sides of the head gasket.. near the dist. and under the timming covers.. guess thats what happens when you go 10K on the R's.. lol

but hope i helped.. i reeeeealy wanna be your friend.

EDIT: when i ment oil adapter.. i ment the oil cooler like hommie said just above.
Old 05-23-2003, 10:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Built B16A &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">HEY GUYS! IM A MESSAGE BOARD TUFF GUY!

hahaha.. oil leaks.. lets see.. you say the filter area.. and not the o ring since you tested it.. well, the only other real place would be the breather box.. and if thats not it.. i would say head gasket probelms.. like i siad.. tehre's no real way of knowing untill you realy get in there.. im sure its not to hard to find.. when there's a leak, you keep going up. ive personaly never seen a oil filter adapter leak.. and the breather box is above the oil level, so it shoudlnt' leak either.. unless you have serious blow by and the PCV is gone..

if i were you, ide start from the bottom and go up.. if anything, no leaks are noticeable from the back of the block, ide look just under the intake manifold on the back of the block, and look for leaks. my race motor would puke oil out the sides of the head gasket.. near the dist. and under the timming covers.. guess thats what happens when you go 10K on the R's.. lol

but hope i helped.. i reeeeealy wanna be your friend.

EDIT: when i ment oil adapter.. i ment the oil cooler like hommie said just above.</TD></TR></TABLE>

To my new best friend,
See now was that so hard to give an educated reply
Im going to end this little argument and say thanks
Old 05-23-2003, 10:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by turboZChatch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

To my new best friend,
See now was that so hard to give an educated reply
Im going to end this little argument and say thanks</TD></TR></TABLE>

You just made me blush.. im a internet board tuff guy, and edjamakated. lol
Old 05-23-2003, 10:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

What a dick