Notices

New clutch not engaging

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2010, 06:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New clutch not engaging

Hey guys I've got a crx with a d15b6 that I just replaced the clutch on and right now the clutch isn't engaging at all. The pedal feels very loose too but I though that was normal for an OEM replacement. Also the lever or whatever is connected to the clutch cable moves when you push the pedal down. And when I release the clutch the engine sounds a bit different like maybe it's engaging a bit or something. It's a really subtle change in sound but maybe it means something. I didn't replace the pilot bearing either because I didn't know what it was at the time but I don't think that's the issue. Anyone have any ideas what's wrong? I'm really hoping I don't have to pull the tranny out again...
Old 09-26-2010, 11:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: New clutch not engaging

did you resurface the flywheel? or inspect its condition? do you have the clutch cable nut adjusted at all?
Old 09-27-2010, 05:39 AM
0x5359-0055

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Why would anyone go to the trouble and not replace the bearing?
Old 09-27-2010, 08:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 213374U
Why would anyone go to the trouble and not replace the bearing?
he didnt know what the pilot bearing even was...lol sounds like he shouldve had someone else do the clutch replacement
Old 09-27-2010, 08:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Does the flywheel need to be resurfaced? I mean I don't think that would cause the clutch to not engage at all. And im pretty sure the clutch cable is adjusted because I can see the lever moving back and forth As far as it can go when you push the pedal down. All I did was swap out the pressure and friction plates and that's it.
Old 09-27-2010, 08:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Well I could have guessed that you're going to catch some flak for that pilot bearing comment hahah but thats definately not whats causing your problem here. Your pilot bearing is just a support for your trans input shaft. Which when it goes bad you'll get noise not a feel. Did you make sure your put your throwout bearing on? Did you put it on correctly? Also i'm just going to guess that your clutch cable isn't adjusted right. Try tightening up the clutch cable and see how it changes.
Old 09-27-2010, 08:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Also...........are you 100% sure that they sold you the correct pressure plate and clutch? About your flywheel it needing resurfaced would NOT cause this problem, however if it was resurfaced and turned down to much it could cause this.
Old 09-27-2010, 08:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

My fault on the cable I said it backwards, try LOOSINING the cable, if you have it adjusted to tight it won't let it engage fully. Keep in mind that with all the tension off of the cable is when your pressure plate fully engages, when you pull the lever is when it disengages the clutch, which isn't your problem
Old 09-27-2010, 09:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

did you torque the pressure plate bolts down to the proper spec?
Old 09-27-2010, 11:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by hatchet_honda
did you torque the pressure plate bolts down to the proper spec?
Yes.

I'll try loosening the clutch cable but like I said I don't think that's the issue because the lever moves all the way back and forth when the pedal moves. Then again if the clutch isn't fully disengaging that could explain the sound when I depress the pedal. It could be the sound of the clutch slipping. I thought I put the throwout bearing back on right but who knows. As for the flywheel I never even took it off.
Old 09-27-2010, 11:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

You should forget anything to do with the flywheel cause thats not your problem. Your problem is either your throwout bearing, clutch cable/ adjustment, pressure plate, or simply wrong parts. What do you mean sound when you depress the pedal? What kind of sound? Forget about how far the lever moves while you depress the clutch if you loosen the cable and the lever moves downward then you most likely have it to tight. If it goes no where and the cable starts becoming loose you're going to need to take the bad boy off and find out what your problem is inside.