Notices

Magnecor ... Myth or Magic?

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2008, 05:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Magnecor ... Myth or Magic?

It's time to replace my wires.
(I can see a fluorescent tube flicker if I hold it next to the wires)

I have been looking and have read about these large diameter, low resistance, magnetically shielded plug wires.

For a daily driver, would this large diameter and/or magnetic shielding make a difference?
Old 03-18-2008, 05:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Magnecor ... Myth or Magic? (HondaHeddie)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by HondaHeddie &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">It's time to replace my wires.
(I can see a fluorescent tube flicker if I hold it next to the wires)

I have been looking and have read about these large diameter, low resistance, magnetically shielded plug wires.

For a daily driver, would this large diameter and/or magnetic shielding make a difference?</TD></TR></TABLE>

In short, no. Sure they may do what they say they do, but only marginally better than OEM or other brands.

The best thing you can do to stop interference is use a proper engine to body ground wire (braided works best to stop interference...) and keep your wires separated like the OEM holders do.
Old 03-18-2008, 05:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Magnecor ... Myth or Magic? (Tippyman)

well
mainly I was wondering about the possible advantages other than EFI suppression they may provide.

Do bigger wires give bigger sparks?
Old 03-18-2008, 05:48 PM
Rainman

Default Re: Magnecor ... Myth or Magic? (Tippyman)

IMO The OEM Honda wires are the best. Not NGK, although they would be my second pick...but real OEM Honda.
What a lot of people/tuners/ricers fail to accept, is that all the aftermarket ignition stuff is pretty much only bling.
Stock honda ignitions are accurate and will work in the 10,000 RPM range just fine.
Old 03-18-2008, 05:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Magnecor ... Myth or Magic? (SIred91)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SIred91 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">IMO The OEM Honda wires are the best. Not NGK, although they would be my second pick...but real OEM Honda.
What a lot of people/tuners/ricers fail to accept, is that all the aftermarket ignition stuff is pretty much only bling.
Stock honda ignitions are accurate and will work in the 10,000 RPM range just fine.</TD></TR></TABLE>

nice info thanks

what do the Honda ones cost?
Old 03-18-2008, 05:59 PM
Rainman

I just today, bought a set for my B16, they came to 67.48 tax and all.
Old 03-18-2008, 06:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SIred91 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I just today, bought a set for my B16, they came to 67.48 tax and all.</TD></TR></TABLE>

OUCH

I aint gonna be actin silly on the road. So I dont guess I need 10K wires.

I will go with a set that cost about half that
Old 03-18-2008, 06:07 PM
Rainman

You misunderstand......I'm only saying that people dont need to spring for Magnecor or Nology or Spoon....which all are 150.00 or more.....OEM is just as good and lasts a lot longer.

If you want to spend 30 bux on AutoZone garbage, then go right ahead. When you have boot separation problems, or similar issues, let us know.
Old 03-18-2008, 06:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SIred91 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">IMO The OEM Honda wires are the best. Not NGK, although they would be my second pick...but real OEM Honda.
Stock honda ignitions are accurate and will work in the 10,000 RPM range just fine.</TD></TR></TABLE> YEZZIR
Old 03-18-2008, 06:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SIred91 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">You misunderstand......I'm only saying that people dont need to spring for Magnecor or Nology or Spoon....which all are 150.00 or more.....OEM is just as good and lasts a lot longer.

If you want to spend 30 bux on AutoZone garbage, then go right ahead. When you have boot separation problems, or similar issues, let us know.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Actually the store brand would be almost a third, not half.

I will stick with name brands. and I dont care if the wires wont last 100k miles.

Maybe I will go Dealer next time. I get dealer parts with all I can. This time I gotta budget. I need tires, just got done rebuilding my dizzy today. wrapping the header tomorrow, may drop the cat tomorrow as well. If it is wasted I will need to squeeze more out the wahzoo for it.

PS
I have NEVER had wires self destruct with any import. (US mfgr wires yes)
I guess I dont buy cheap enough, and I swap often enough, to avoid that.

Thank again.
I am going to the dealer tomorrow to pick up my em gasket and a bumper light lens so I will ask then
Old 03-18-2008, 06:30 PM
Rainman

Please at least get NGK or NTK.......dont subject your Honda to inferior parts...
Old 03-18-2008, 07:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SIred91 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Please at least get NGK or NTK.......dont subject your Honda to inferior parts... </TD></TR></TABLE>

Thank you very much for the brand recommendation. I will follow it.
My baby does not get mistreated. I would not buy bad stuff.

I dont even like seeing bad driving in another Honda.

I do regular and frequent maint.. on the rex.
I would rather have new regular oil in the rex every 3k, than run 10k rated oil replaced every 9k.
BTW by regular I mean standard Mobil 1

I feel the same about the rest of the parts. Thats why I dont worry about the long life of the wires you recommend. I fully agree though, any time I can get dealer parts, I do.
I aint building a racer, I just want to keep my classic car happy.
Old 03-18-2008, 08:02 PM

NGKs are about 30-40 online.
Old 03-18-2008, 08:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Magnecor ... Myth or Magic? (gospeedgo1)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by gospeedgo1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">NGKs are about 30-40 online.</TD></TR></TABLE>

yeah I was looking at ebay retailers too
Old 03-18-2008, 10:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by HondaHeddie &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

OUCH

I aint gonna be actin silly on the road. So I dont guess I need 10K wires.

I will go with a set that cost about half that</TD></TR></TABLE>

your going to get what you pay for with oem honda ignition components

you put that aftermarket parts and i guarantee you will be replacing those plugs/wires/cap/rotor in half the time you would with the quality oem products

not to mention the damage they will do to your converter and your mpgs will be reduced also.
Old 03-18-2008, 11:11 PM
No tears. Only dreams, now.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a nice set of Accel wires from Summit Racing on my CRX. They are a little larger, so I just took that as insurance, and Accel warranties their products for defects. IMO they worked better than OEM, and in fact I saw a 2 mpg increase (same conditions, averaged over 5 tanks) over a set of new OEM wires.

Just take the info in this thread with a grain of salt... there has been so much misinformation thrown into this forum since I used to post in here, that it makes me sick.