Notices

ls vtec problem help

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2007, 07:00 PM

Location: IN YOUR BASEMENT, ON YOUR COMPUTER, minesota, united states
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ls vtec problem help

OVER HEATING PROBLEM

i got a hold of a gsr head for my ls bottom side. the b16 i had in there never over heated. i got the ls vtec in fine and started right up on the firts key turn. on the ls vtec im still using the ls water pump and timing belt as well as the ls thermostat. i removed the thermostat thinking it wasnt opening up all the way. ended up bench testing it, turned out it wasnt the problem the stat was opening like it was brand new. RE checked all my hoses nothing is leaking i also have a skunk two intake manifold on the head and i also by-passed the AIC and rerouted the line back into the head. also i have re-checked my timing probably about 7 times thinking the belt ended up jumping a tooth or two.

i have heard that i have to use a gsr timing and water pump is this true, and why. i thought the timing belt and water pump did the same thing through out the b-series line.

thanks again for the help ahead of time.
Old 07-29-2007, 07:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: ls vtec problem help (HondaRexBoi)

Bump 4 u hope sum1 helps u out cause i wanna noe this 2...
Old 07-29-2007, 08:13 PM

you need to either run the gsr water pump or a b16 i recommand running the 19 tooth water pump instead of the 22 so it run water faster and then you run the timing belt for what head your using and also did you change the oil pump to a gsr or a b16 if not you can always just put a washer in the bolt on the bottom of the oil pump to raise the oil pressure
Old 07-29-2007, 08:25 PM

Default Re: ls vtec problem help (iluvmyef9)

okay, so definately my car is over heating because of the water pump, okay and shouldnt i run the timing belt from what ever water pump i get. and why do i need oil pressure up for, when i drove it after the swapping out the b16 vtec hit perfect

okay i have a gsr head if thats what that 72 means thats on the head. can you tell me what year car i need to get these parts of from to fix this problem. and with the oil pressure i think im going to need a little more help with.

Modified by HondaRexBoi at 9:36 PM 7/29/2007
Old 07-29-2007, 11:33 PM

just go get a water pump for a 1996 gsr and then timing belt make shure thats you havent blowen your head gasket do a leak down test or check your oil to see if its milky
Old 07-30-2007, 12:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

u can run a ls water pump. im runnin a LS water pump and a LS timing belt. but definately use a gsr, b16 or type r oil pump. im using the type r. just make sure that what ever water pump u go with the belt is from that same motor.
Old 08-01-2007, 08:35 PM

Default Re: ls vtec problem help (crx_si-r)

okay i just got done replacing the water pump and the timing belt,
and its still over heating and ive made sure that my head wasnt blown.
re timed it about 7 times went and bench tested my thermostat ones more just
in case that in some un-godly way it wasnt opening up. still some how manages to over heat. please any more suggestions opinions im willing to try any thing at this please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!
Old 08-01-2007, 09:19 PM

man i honestly dont know how did you check for your head gasket being blowen did you do a leak down or just check oil
Old 08-01-2007, 09:25 PM

i did both, i work on diesels. so i trailer it to my shop and did it there. im new at every thing honda. what head gasket do i need to use. do i use the ls one or gsr. or do i have to go with a no name brand that is ment for ls vtec
Old 08-02-2007, 12:31 AM

did you retap the head and drill out for the new located dowl pins or get the cheater dowl pins by golden eagle and you use the head gasket for what head you are youing
Old 08-03-2007, 11:10 PM

yes the head was machined for the dowel pins, so no cheater here. and im using the ls head gasket, should i pull the head of and use a gsr gasket?
Old 08-04-2007, 12:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

i used a LS head gasket. did u put in a new thermostat? i kno that was my problem.

du u have any kind of leaks?
Old 08-05-2007, 11:18 AM

Default Re: ls vtec problem help (crx_si-r)

i have no leaks of any kind, and i did end up using the ls gasket, and yes i did replace the thermostat after i got done bench testing the old one and proving to my self that it still openend up.

okay now my car is not over heating, but when i drive the car for about a half hour or so, after bleeding the coolant my radiator hoses swell up to about the size of a pop can both the upper lower radiator hoses the heater core hoses also swell and also all the other hoses that contain coolant in them, and after touching the upper radiator hose the lower radiator hose is alot cooler then the upper. im not understanding this one bit. after the ride i let the car cool and i got to open the radiator cap the radiator lets out alot of pressure.

are the 1996 gsr water pumps reverse flow. so i have to end up using a reverse flow thermostat?