Notices

Jumped the curb and bent the suspension. Is this repairable? Frame damage?

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2005, 12:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Jumped the curb and bent the suspension. Is this repairable? Frame damage?

Car is a 1990 CRX.

Previous owner jumped the curb on the passenger side and bent something...

and now the whole car swerves to the left and the top of the passenger tire tilts outwards.

Questions are; is this frame damage and could it be fixed? Suggestions?

Pictures....

Overall view of suspension from Helms. (supposedly bent part circled in red) I'm not sure what this part is called but it holds the LCA in place

Passenger side (bent side, part where the LCA is being held.)

Driver side (good side)
Old 03-29-2005, 12:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Jumped the curb and bent the suspension. Is this repairable? Frame damage? (MaxxPowers)

its called a sub frame, my sis hit a curb an and bent it...very easy to replace..i also broke mine..but yes is the answer to your question.
Old 03-29-2005, 12:11 AM

Default Re: Jumped the curb and bent the suspension. Is this repairable? Frame damage? (Ls4thGen)

What did you do to repair it?

I'm assuming I'll have to bring it to a shop for repairs. So how much of a dent is that going to put in my wallet to fix?

I'd rather find the part and fix it myself but I'm not familiar with it so I'd like to get a clue.

I've read thru the helms but I can't find the directions to dismantle this peice...

Thanks.
Old 03-29-2005, 12:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Jumped the curb and bent the suspension. Is this repairable? Frame damage? (MaxxPowers)

well 4 bolts hold it in, an the 2 nuts off each hub for the rack, and the Rear mount bolt an the bolt from the steering Coulum.
Old 03-29-2005, 12:25 AM

Default Re: Jumped the curb and bent the suspension. Is this repairable? Frame damage? (Ls4thGen)

What's that part called anyway?

I've tried on Hondaautomotive.com and tried looking for this part but I don't know where to look because of the different catergories.

Thanks.
Old 03-29-2005, 12:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

sub frame.
Old 03-29-2005, 06:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i had to replace the subframe due to curbage as well, picked one up from a honda salvage yard for 50bones with the steering rack
my knuckle was also bent, you couldnt tell by looking at it, but after the subframe was replaced i still had a little less negative camber on one side and i went with my hunch and replaced the knuckle and no probs since :
Old 03-29-2005, 12:31 PM

Default Re: Jumped the curb and bent the suspension. Is this repairable? Frame damage? (SilentWrath)

Great, thanks for responding guys.
Old 04-01-2005, 12:05 AM

Does the shop usually take apart the subframe and bend it back or do they just repair it whilest on the car?
Old 04-01-2005, 02:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

just take ur old one off put the new one on.takes about 3-4 hours
Old 04-01-2005, 07:00 AM

i hade the same exact problem just do it youself. There are 4 bolts that hold it on. Undo the steering rack from the wheel from the inside behind the brake pedal. Then take out the supension components that are attached to it and your done good luck going to a junk yard and finding one. I almost got one from a crx si since they have that front sway bar but i decided not too. I was calling it the rear crossmember when i called around for parts but i may have been wrong. Also its hard to find one with no rust. But take your time and good luck

Also if you find one with no powersteering rack you have to take yours out and put it in. Good luck with that there is some crazy way to turn it to the right and jiggle it and it falls out but i had a friend do it. Try to get one with a steering rack
Old 04-07-2005, 01:03 PM

Default Re: Jumped the curb and bent the suspension. Is this repairable? Frame damage? (91dxhatchswaped)

I'm having a shop repair the damage for me. The estimate is a little under 200 dollars. Includes labor and parts; LCA, and cross member.

Seems like it's a reasonable price but so far the shop hasn't any luck finding the part for my car.

Old 04-07-2005, 03:49 PM

thats cheaper than a lot of shops would charge. yeah, junkyards are the easiest place. tell them it'll work off any 88-91 civic/crx as long as as you stay without power steering.