Notices

i can't find water leak? any tips?

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2002, 01:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default i can't find water leak? any tips?

i have had a very frustrating water leakage problem, and i did a lot of
diagnosing, but still nothing, and basically, it has been raining here in
dallas for the last week sometimes pretty hard, and sometimes lightly.
i noticed the damp,musty, smell in the car, and i noticed it was the
floor board of the drivers side that was the only part wet.

i saw that it was wet under the floormat, coming through the rubber
"heel-pad", so then i took the dead pedal off, and pulled the carpet up to
where i can see the whole bare floorboard, and sure enough thats where it was wet, right all around the whole drivers floarboard area it had a little water.

i put a towel around the area, and i poured a tall glass of water into the area, and watched to see if it went out the bottom of the car, i also sprayed water onto the top of the car, windows, hood, wheelwell, and the underside of the floorboard, and i looked inside, and i had no luck, did'nt see any leakage...........

i poured water down all 4 drainage points while the sunroof was open, and
i saw water come out all four corners, so the sunroof tubes seemed to be
draining fine. i jacked the car up, looked under for holes and sprayed with hose again, while watching in the car also, but still did'nt find anything.

so, its driving me nuts, cause i would really feel better with a car that
is water tight, and i was just wondering if you had any tips or opinions
on what else i can look at to diagnose this?

but one thing i still don't know is how to access the sunroof drain tubes
from either side, cause i could'nt see them while looking into the
sunroof, and i could'nt see them under the dash either.

any tips would help, thanks
Old 10-28-2002, 01:21 PM
Urban Business

Default Re: i can't find water leak? any tips? (crxaddikt)

you take any seats out? rear ones specificaly? also there are like indented circles on on each front seat side behind the rear seat mount (on floor board) which will leak. much easier tracking down leaks w/o an interrior but then you look like me
Old 10-28-2002, 01:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: i can't find water leak? any tips? (TorteX)

actually, i was going to take the whole carpet out, cause the carpet was so soggy from being wet that it tears really easily, and i was going to get a new carpet in the next couple months or whenever i could afford it, but for now, i just need to clean the whole bare floorboard with some disinfectant cleaner, and just make sure i dont' have any leaks until i put the new carpet in.

so, your saying, if i take the front seat out, and the carpet out, then look around the seat bracket for leakage there? i did'nt think of that
Old 10-28-2002, 01:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

have you had a windshield installed lately? sometimes if not done correctly, you can have an air bubble in the glue seat and when it rains the water can run down past the dash straight to the floorboard. that's the only thing I can think of and I asked one of the head techs here at my dealership and he thinks the same thing.

I live in Garland and I hate all this damn rain we have been getting lately in the DFW metroplex
Old 10-28-2002, 02:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: i can't find water leak? any tips? (JoshDM)

another place you could be getting a leak, but it wouldn't be causing your leak in the front, check where your spare tire is.. that could also be causing your musty smell..
Old 10-28-2002, 02:02 PM

never heard of leaks up there, that a new one for me
how much water is there? could it maybe just be from your shoes? if its been raining all week, you're likely to get some water in there, although not a whole lot
Old 10-28-2002, 02:07 PM

Default Re: i can't find water leak? any tips? (Hcivic88)

Yeah, I've had a problem with leaks in the spare tire well, but never in the front. All it took for me was a little silicon sealer to fix the leak, good luck finding your problem.
Old 10-28-2002, 02:21 PM

Default Re: i can't find water leak? any tips? (importfan85)

first thing-Check is it dirty or clean water? if its all dirty then chances are its coming up from the bottom of the car. if the floor is clean looking then it probably is coming from up higher and dripping down to the floor. it might possably be coming in through the door. ever have the door apart? there should be plastic on the door, which blocks water. sometimes when it rains i have water drip through the bottom of the speaker in the door. have a friend run water on the car, don't blast the water, let it run over the car and stay inside it with a flashlight. look for water running in. it may take a while too. take the interior out while doing the water test . another good test is to spray foaming glass cleaner on the body seams and from the other side of the car use compressed air. if you see the glass cleaner buble then you have found a water leak. good luck
Old 10-28-2002, 02:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: i can't find water leak? any tips? (importfan85)

actually, i have the spare well leak also, thats whats funny, i still need to find that, but i think that one is my taillight or clogged drain tubes.

the reason this is frustrating is cause first i had a leak in the passenger side floorboard, then i found it was a hole that a guy drilled from the car audio shop through the firewall, and it was'nt sealed good, so i sealed it, and that was fixed, ............but now i have the problem on the drivers side, but i did'nt see any holes in the firewall that needed sealing.

oh, btw, i did just recently have a new front window installed a couple weeks ago from some mobile glass place, and i need to check and see if it is sealed right.
Old 10-28-2002, 02:35 PM

Gently spray water around the edges of the windshield . Also there is a plastic cover on the cowl of some cars and under it is the windshield wiper arm and bracket-water can get in these places as there is a lip there and yes there is sealant used that cracks.

Just another place to check. I have a feeling this is your source-watch the water when it comes in and also look and feel up high under the dash.
Good luck