Notices

How do i put headrests on the back seat

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2011, 03:09 PM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: How do i put headrests on the back seat

bad ***. Thanks guys for the help. i'll post pics once i got it done ; )
Old 03-22-2022, 03:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

I know this is an old thread but I am interested in this topic and I think it makes sense to keep it all together in one thread. I have purchased the headrests, metal brackets, and associated plastic trim via eBay from someone in Europe, I think it was Lithuania. I welded the brackets into a spare set of 1990 Si rear seats. The problem I have is the covering on the EDM headrests is gray velour and does not match the USDM Si seat covers. I don't think Honda ever produced rear headrests for 4th gen hatch with the appropriate covering to match a 1990 USDM Civic Si. If they did I would dearly like to know which market so I could keep my eyes open for a set. I have spare USDM front headrests but they are shaped differently so the covers can't be used on the EDM rear headrests. I have been collecting as many bit and pieces of Si seat covers as I can but the headrests would only use the black corduroy sections and I would need to butcher several seat covers to get enough material for two rear headrests. I checked with one upholstery shop and they told me that the matching material is no longer available. They did have some options that were close but I really want it to look like it would have looked if it was OEM. Has anyone else added rear headrests? How did it turn out? Any advice for me? Does anyone out there have any scraps of Si seat covers they don't need?
Old 04-22-2022, 04:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

In case anyone else ever wants to do this I will document my progress here. I took the covers off the EDM/JDM rear headrests and a spare set of USDM Si front headrests. Opening up the bottom of the headrests is pretty easy to figure out, but there is no pull on the headrest zipper to unzip them. The end of the zipper is just tucked in, all you need to do is just untuck it and then just pull the ends apart it will easily unzip sort of like a broken zipper. I then separated the front and back of the USDM covers by unstitching the thin strip of material that goes over the top and zipped the two halves onto the EDM/JDM rear headrests using a zipper repair kit I got from a local sewing store. Zipping the two halves back together was a lot easier than I thought it was going to be. Turns out that the holes in the middle of the headrest match up pretty well so I don't think I will need to make any changes to that part which is nice because that looks like it would be difficult to reproduce. There is a good amount of extra material so I removed all the stiches from the covers that were on the EDM/JDM covers and I think I will be able to use the pieces of the EDM/JDM covers as patterns to modify the USDM covers to fit.

Last edited by GeoMetry; 04-25-2022 at 05:14 AM.
The following users liked this post:
DaX
Old 05-02-2022, 04:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Some details about one step in the process:

Old 05-04-2022, 12:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

And here is how to zip it back on.
Old 05-06-2022, 02:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Here is a Youtube video of someone welding in the headrest supports
Old 05-11-2022, 12:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I guess I'm done. They match and they look correct to me. Now I need to decide if I actually like them.

The following users liked this post:
DaX