Notices

How to change a d16a6 timing belt?

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2011, 06:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to change a d16a6 timing belt?

I have searched how to do this plenty of times but I dont understand part of it. After I get the crank and cam shaft both to top dead center, I dont under stand when it says rotate the crank 3 teeth counter clockwise. Could someone go into detail on how to do this and what is means? Thanks.
Old 10-16-2011, 06:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: How to change a d16a6 timing belt?

This part is done with the new timing belt already on. Its for adjusting the tensioner.

You put your ratchet with 17mm socket on the crank pulley and turn the crank three teeth (of the camshaft pulley) counter clockwise.

Then you tighten the tensioner bolt.
Old 10-17-2011, 02:53 AM
DO IT ON ALL FOURS

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

^^^ That and be sure to STOP if anything binds! Triple check everything if you aren't sure of yourself. These are interference engines and NOT something you want to do "close" to correct.
Old 10-18-2011, 05:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by ///Mathew
This part is done with the new timing belt already on. Its for adjusting the tensioner.

You put your ratchet with 17mm socket on the crank pulley and turn the crank three teeth (of the camshaft pulley) counter clockwise.

Then you tighten the tensioner bolt.
Originally Posted by N3va3vaSatisfi3d
^^^ That and be sure to STOP if anything binds! Triple check everything if you aren't sure of yourself. These are interference engines and NOT something you want to do "close" to correct.
Thanks for the input, but im still kinda confused. When I turn the crankshaft counter clockwise 3 teeth, the crank wont be at tdc. should the camshaft still be at tdc or... should it move along with the crank on the timing belt? If this makes since.
Old 10-18-2011, 05:21 PM
Keyboard Humorist

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

You have already set the timing and put the belt on.
Then you crank 3+ teeth to remove all the slack out of the front side of the belt.
The slack will be on the back side of the belt where the tensioner can do it's job and remove the slack.
Old 10-18-2011, 05:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 4drEF
You have already set the timing and put the belt on.
Then you crank 3+ teeth to remove all the slack out of the front side of the belt.
The slack will be on the back side of the belt where the tensioner can do it's job and remove the slack.
I understand now. But just so I dont make any mistakes, The belt shouldnt come off the crank or cam gear when I turn the crank 3 teeth, And also 3 teeth is just sorta a random number to turn the crank to take the slack out of the front side of the belt, correct? These might be some obvious questions but I would rather be safe than sorry for not asking.
Old 10-19-2011, 12:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Randysi
I understand now. But just so I dont make any mistakes, The belt shouldnt come off the crank or cam gear when I turn the crank 3 teeth, And also 3 teeth is just sorta a random number to turn the crank to take the slack out of the front side of the belt, correct? These might be some obvious questions but I would rather be safe than sorry for not asking.
No, the belt should not come off if you turn the crank any number of teeth if its on properly. 3 is just a good number of teeth to remove the slack. It could be 4...but they chose 3.
Old 10-19-2011, 03:29 AM
DO IT ON ALL FOURS

You could completely rotate the engine by 12,680,731,432.4298 teeth if you wanted to... It doesn't matter - really you could potentially do it less than 3 teeth. The whole purpose is like mentioned afore and to be sure the tensioner is set properly by rotating the engine. Just do what the manual says - if you think about it - it's common sense.
Old 10-19-2011, 05:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks everyone for the replies. I do understand how to do it now. THe whole 3 teeth thing for adjusting the tensor kinda threw me off but i realize its just to adjust the tensor now.
Old 10-19-2011, 04:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

get a factory service manual. their cheap on ebay. you'll never have another question again. or download the one for a 91 crx off this page. it has everything. get the one thats 307 mb. http://hondatech.info/downloads/Auto/Manuals/CRX/
Old 10-19-2011, 04:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Coricivic
get a factory service manual. their cheap on ebay. you'll never have another question again. or download the one for a 91 crx off this page. it has everything. get the one thats 307 mb. http://hondatech.info/downloads/Auto/Manuals/CRX/
I have a helms manual. I just didnt understand it. Just wanted some people to explain.
Old 10-19-2011, 07:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Actually you shouldn't turn it more then 3 teeth before you torque the tensioner because if you turn it more then it will actually not be tensioned enough(same if you only turn it 1 tooth). When you turn it 3 teeth keep your hand on the wrench turning the crank to keep tension on it (helps to have an extra hand). Then just turn the crank around a couple times, put it back to TDC and see if everything is still correct.
Old 10-20-2011, 03:00 AM
DO IT ON ALL FOURS

Originally Posted by JDpower
Actually you shouldn't turn it more then 3 teeth before you torque the tensioner because if you turn it more then it will actually not be tensioned enough(same if you only turn it 1 tooth). When you turn it 3 teeth keep your hand on the wrench turning the crank to keep tension on it (helps to have an extra hand). Then just turn the crank around a couple times, put it back to TDC and see if everything is still correct.
Interesting theory - but if you test it you will find you are flat out wrong. I even have some repair manuals from the 90's that say to rotate the engine 2 revolutions BEFORE you tighten the tensioner; then 2 more to check it. Once it tensions it stays tensioned - it won't slack up unless you let off the wrench - and it won't get any tighter as you spin it - it it does either one your belt is stretching/shrinking - if you go by your method then that means when you take the wrench off the tendioner will be adjusted wrong... Think about it.