Notices

Higher spring rates without the drop

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2003, 01:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Higher spring rates without the drop

hey all, i know that on the 92+ civics you can use 94+ Integra springs for a higher spring rate, well my question is what integra/whatever springs can i use on a 90 Civic Std.? I want to know this because i live in MI, if your not from here the roads are stupid rough so i dont want a 2in drop. I was thinking about the H&R Sport Springs, but i was told that they were almost the same spring rate as stock, so if i were to use integra sports they will have a higher spring rate. but im not sure if i can do it or not on my civic with Tokico Blues (another reason i dont want a 2in drop), any help would be apperacted
Old 11-30-2003, 02:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Higher spring rates without the drop (Sideout)

I know H&R makes OE sports but probably not high enough spring rate for you..>?? It's .75" of drop...
Old 11-30-2003, 02:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Higher spring rates without the drop (MestizoRacer310)

coilovers? gc ones have custom spring rates right?
Old 11-30-2003, 02:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Higher spring rates without the drop (91civicLX)

Yes you can get cusomt spring rates...and there is a minimum of a .5" drop...

Or I have a set of OBX coil overs I can sell for cheap..
Old 11-30-2003, 02:49 PM

Default Re: Higher spring rates without the drop (Outsane)

you can try to find out what spring rates you have, and email h&r about thier spring rates(ask about different cars).

You could also call ground control up and order custom spring rates, and if its about .5 minimum drop... you can just ask ground control what you could do about that(longer spring etc).

I had tokico blues on ground controls 350 front 250 rear, lowered about 3 finger gap front and rear between fenders and tires(azenis 195/60/14's on blackies). Blew the front driverside in about 2months , now I have tokico illuminas in the front and at 2/4 its more stiff than the blues, but I run at 4/4 all the time.
Old 11-30-2003, 04:02 PM

Default Re: Higher spring rates without the drop (NINJASPY)

personally i dont want a set of "fake" coilovers unless thats the only way i can get my self some variable spring rates, but i do like the fact that i can change the ride hight so i'm no too low. I have a friend (not sure if he's on here but if he is he's 93CivicSleeper) who has a set of the Tein S.S. coilover suspention with all sorts of other skunk2 goodies and i love the handling of his car. I know that my car wont handle that good with Tokico Blues but somthing around that would be cool.

NINJASPY: You blew one in 2 months!?! damn... you do know that they come with a 1 year warrenty right, if you didnt then now you can sell tham for more then $20

Outsane: How much and got any pics?? PM me, and can you get different spring rate for the OBXs?
Old 11-30-2003, 04:23 PM

Ok i was just browsing around online and found a set of Racing Dimension Coilovers, it says they have spring rates of Front: 450 Rear: 350 but wouldnt those rate create more understeer? To my knolage to reduce understeer (something i want) you need higher rates in the rear

BTW i'm net getting these, they are some ebay **** for $68
Old 11-30-2003, 06:07 PM

TTT for the sake of good handling!!
Old 11-30-2003, 06:28 PM

it shouldnt. check out scotts rear stiff stuff suspension summary

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=353425
Old 11-30-2003, 07:16 PM

Default Re: (steeb)

thats for that link steeb, BuMp FoR sL3EP 7iM3
Old 12-03-2003, 03:45 PM

Default Re: (Sideout)

back TTT
Old 12-03-2003, 04:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Sideout)

when i first go my car i had eibach springs for an integra on there (on there when i got the car from the chick) To me it honestly didnt feel any different than stock but it wasnt lowered either, but they could have been stiff and me not know it do to being naive and also not replacing blown shocks
Old 12-04-2003, 09:40 AM

Default Re: (matt j)

if lowering springs we're a great deal stiffer than stock most people on the roads would be bobbing up and down like bobbing heads if installed on stock or dead struts. lowering springs are usually not much stiffer than stock. the improvements in handling of a lowered car is usually only due to the fact the the center of gravity is a bit lower. i cannot say the same for the road race kit or h&r or neuspeed race springs since i know they are considerably stiffer than stock. lowering springs are usually slightly stiffer and shorter than stock progressive rate springs and handle road irregularities differently due to the fact that it is not a linear rate spring and will not react the same way.
Old 12-04-2003, 09:49 AM
be professional

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

With higher spring rates, the suspension won't compress as much so you would be able to get away with lowering the car. Lowering the car does not cause a rough ride, higher spring rates do. Higher spring rates + rough roads = kidney pain, so you may want to think that over.

My suggestion is to get Ground Control coilover sleeves with custom rates and just keep them set high. They use Eibach ERS springs, which come in 25 lb-in increments I believe. If you don't know what spring rates you want, just give them a call and tell them what you want to do with the car, and they can recommend spring rates for you. BTW, higher spring rates in front do not necessarily "create understeer." There is a lot more to suspension tuning than just that.

And if you are worried about this "real" vs. "fake" coilover stuff, then you've been reading too much internet bullshit. Do you even know what the difference is between a so-called "real" full coilover and a Ground Control sleeve?

Just remember that Ground Control is one of the top suspension choices for both Honda and BMW national-level autocrossers.