Notices

Gauge Cluster Issues

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2011, 09:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gauge Cluster Issues

Well.. I got a hold of a very cheap 89 Gauge Cluster for my 91 STD, so I was going to rewire my cluster harness to accommodate the cluster. I failed at doing so, which I know now is because I wired it... perfectly backwards. I ended up buying an after market tachometer and getting it all setup and attempted to revert the cluster back to the original configuration, but failed at doing so because I once again wired everything completely backward. Drove it as such for the day, and then attempted to fix the wiring this afternoon. I'm positive everything is wired as it should be, but there is a lot that isn't working now.

I've triple checked all wiring, but blinkers, temp/gas gauge, and hand brake lights are non functional, along with various other lights. I'm not sure what the problem is. The harness is wired according to the 90-91 pin out diagrams, and I even traced the wires to make sure they're going to the correct places, but nothing coming on for me now. Not sure how I can further describe the issue I am experiencing, but I figured I'd post it on here to acquire some insight.

Thanks in advance,
Kelly
Old 03-23-2011, 10:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Gauge Cluster Issues

buy a new dash harness for the 90-91 and buy the 90-91 cluster to match. you would need a new square shaped cluster "hood" to make your 89 cluster work anyway and i dont think its worth it.

buy a used dash harness, buy the whole dash if need be bc they are cheap lately. swap the harness over and put your original cluster back in until you find a 90-91 cluster with a tach that way it is plug and play. no more rewiring
Old 03-23-2011, 10:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Have you checked fuse number 1 under the dash, something might of touched and blwon it out, WHen fuse number one is blown the temp, gas and rpms dont work.
Old 03-24-2011, 03:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by jlk16188
buy a new dash harness for the 90-91 and buy the 90-91 cluster to match. you would need a new square shaped cluster "hood" to make your 89 cluster work anyway and i dont think its worth it.

buy a used dash harness, buy the whole dash if need be bc they are cheap lately. swap the harness over and put your original cluster back in until you find a 90-91 cluster with a tach that way it is plug and play. no more rewiring
No reason for me to buy all that ****. It looks like the hood is only necessary for a stock fit, and I don't need to have two tachs in my car. Rewiring is easy.

Originally Posted by Omegax10
Have you checked fuse number 1 under the dash, something might of touched and blwon it out, WHen fuse number one is blown the temp, gas and rpms dont work.
I'll check that in a sec, I didn't even think about fuses.
Old 03-24-2011, 09:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Turned out it was Fuse #1 being blown. Also. I didn't have the hood back on, since I wanted to check the functioning of everything before putting it all back together, and apparently it is vital to have the hazard light button plugged in. That fixed the remaining problems. Thanks guys.