Notices

Pressure plate, flywheel, clutch, motor combo ?'s

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2011, 09:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Pressure plate, flywheel, clutch, motor combo ?'s

I've got a D16y8 swap going on...
I want to use my 89 Si transmission (from my D16a6). It needs a new clutch and pressure plate. I know brands from Partsource or Autozone or whatever aren't that great, so I am looking at an Exedy Stage I or II.

The y8 was from an auto, so I need a flywheel...

Can I use my 89 DX flywheel on my Si Transmission (might just use the 89 Si one if there is a difference)?

And finally, what year should I be buying a clutch for? I've heard the 90-00 ones are better, will they fit the same? My knowledge is limited on this topic, so anything helps.
Old 03-23-2011, 12:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Pressure plate, flywheel, clutch, motor combo ?'s

88 is different 89-91 are the same so you should be good using your dx flywheel with the si tranny... so you should buy an 89-91 clutch just dont get an 88...
Old 03-23-2011, 09:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by stackedhouse
88 is different 89-91 are the same so you should be good using your dx flywheel with the si tranny... so you should buy an 89-91 clutch just dont get an 88...
Alright. So I'm thinking Stage I Exedy clutch + pressure plate + getting my DX flywheel lightened a couple pounds. Nothing crazy, maybe like 4-6 pounds lighter. Staying N/A for as long as I can anyways.
Old 03-23-2011, 12:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The 89 pressure plate won't match the flywheel at least this was the case for me. You need to use one 90+. I'm using a 96 Y7 block and flywheel, 90 pressure plate, 89 clutch and transmission.
Old 03-23-2011, 01:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 28 Likes on 28 Posts

for the 89 flywheel, you need the 89 clutch
Old 03-23-2011, 08:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by netfreak
The 89 pressure plate won't match the flywheel at least this was the case for me. You need to use one 90+. I'm using a 96 Y7 block and flywheel, 90 pressure plate, 89 clutch and transmission.
Hmm. Interesting...
Old 03-23-2011, 10:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I upgraded to a 90-91 sachs oem flywheel, was 50 bucks on ebay, or about 61 @ partstrain.com. Made it alot easier to find clutches and make stuff work for it.
Old 03-24-2011, 12:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

not sure what your intentions / goals are with your car, but you cant go wrong with a 7.5 lb Fidanza flywheel. Especially in a D series setup. I am also a personal fan of ACT clutch components. Very pleased with there products... Just tossing in my two cents.
Old 03-24-2011, 11:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by explicite86
not sure what your intentions / goals are with your car, but you cant go wrong with a 7.5 lb Fidanza flywheel. Especially in a D series setup. I am also a personal fan of ACT clutch components. Very pleased with there products... Just tossing in my two cents.
I want a little bit of mass to keep spinning, don't want to be revving up every time to shift. It's just going to be a DD, N/A.

I'm gonna try and find a 90+ Flywheel, and buy a new 90-00 clutch + pressure plate. I've heard bad things about puck clutches... so just going to stick with a full disk, try to find a kevlar clutch maybe...

Thanks again for the info though you guys.
Old 03-24-2011, 11:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i have always wondered why people want input on which route they should go when they already have their minds made up. Like they just want to check if anyone says their idea so they can feel better about it.
Old 03-24-2011, 11:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i have always wondered why people want input on which route they should go when they already have their minds made up. Like they just want to check if anyone says their idea so they can feel better about it.
Not exactly. I just don't like the idea of a puck clutch. I am still looking at options, and a lightweight flywheel doesn't seem so bad.

To me, seems like more surface area contacting the flywheel will have less slippage. I'm probably wrong.

It's not a matter of feeling good about someone liking their idea, it's a matter of being reassured if this will work or not. It's my first build, so I want as much insight as possible so I don't regret buying a lemon of a clutch.

And ACT seems to be as expensive (if not more expensive) than Exedy... price is always a factor, I don't necessarily need a $500 clutch set-up.

I made a topic in the transmission/drivetrain forum to get some more information.
Old 03-24-2011, 12:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

like i said, im not sure what your intentions with the car are, but take it from someone who has done a few builds before, even though you may spend more money on the clutch, buying a quality one that has great performance will save you money in the long run compared to buying a cheap clutch, burning it up from racing on it and then having to buy a better more expensive one anyways. if your not planning on racing / dumping the clutch or speed shifting, then by all means, save money and just get a stock clutch kit and whatever flywheel you want if performance doesnt make a difference to you.
Old 03-24-2011, 01:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

like i said, im not sure what your intentions with the car are, but take it from someone who has done a few builds before, even though you may spend more money on the clutch, buying a quality one that has great performance will save you money in the long run compared to buying a cheap clutch, burning it up from racing on it and then having to buy a better more expensive one anyways. if your not planning on racing / dumping the clutch or speed shifting, then by all means, save money and just get a stock clutch kit and whatever flywheel you want if performance doesnt make a difference to you.
Plans: Stock D16y8 daily driver, occasional track use. Very occasional. Realizing that a Civic isn't meant to drift, looking to get a drift beater. (FWD DRIFTING LOL)

Do you have to rev your motor up with the lightened flywheel before putting it in gear? As in, would it suck for city traffic having to pop the clutch in to move a meter or 2 every few mins?
Old 03-24-2011, 01:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

no i do not have to rev the motor up, drivability is not sacrificed with a lightened flywheel, despite the myths people who have never used them may claim. here is a practical example for you to understand the concept of having a lightened flywheel... think of your engine as a person riding a racing bicycle (lance armstrong) and your flywheel is like the wheels on the bicycle. you dont hear professional bike racers saying, i need more mass (weight) on the wheels of my bike, so i dont have to pedal as much. they want them to be as light weight as possible, because it takes less energy (power) to make them spin. The less weight your engine has to spin, ex. the flywheel, the pistons, the crankshaft, the cam gears, and valvetrain... the more power it will have available to spin the wheels (MORE POWER) ....Make sense? and ACT clutch kits are not all puck types. Mine has a very heavy duty pressure plate and a "full disc" as you stated. 4 puck and 6 pucks do have better performance than a full disc even though it has "less" surface area.

Last edited by explicite86; 03-24-2011 at 09:33 PM. Reason: typo
Old 03-24-2011, 03:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

no i do not have to rev the motor up, drivability is not sacrificed with a lightened flywheel, despite the myths people who have never used them may claim. here is a practical example for you to understand the concept of having a lightened flywheel... think of your engine as a person riding a racing bicycle (lance armstrong) and your flywheel is like the wheels on the bicycle. you dont hear professional bike racers saying, i need more mass (weight) on the wheels of my bike, so i dont have to pedal as much. they want them to be as light weight as possible, because it takes less energy (horsepower) to make them spin. The less weight your engine has to spin, ex. the flywheel, the pistons, the crankshaft, the cam gears, and valvetrain... the more power it will have available to spin the wheels (MORE HORSEPOWER) ....Make sense? and ACT clutch kits are not all puck types. Mine has a very heavy duty pressure plate and a "full disc" as you stated. 4 puck and 6 pucks do have better performance than a full disc even though it has "less" surface area.
So, by what ur saying, I can chop off all the extra mass off my crank, since physics and gravity have nothing to do with anything. Then I'll have more horsepower. Awesome.

I'm not for or against a lightened flywheel or stock, but for the op's purposes, stock would be better. You're confusing horspower with torque.
Old 03-24-2011, 09:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ya thats what i meant guy, take your crank out, get out your sawzall and start hacking off lobes.
"Also available in lightweight option. This normally removes about 5-6lbs from the crankshaft by knife-edging the counterweights for reduced weight and less windage." this quote is taken from this website http://www.cimotorsports.net/motor-s...ivic-b16a.html

Last edited by explicite86; 03-24-2011 at 09:45 PM. Reason: typo
Old 03-24-2011, 09:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Also found this on jegs.com

Crower SB-Chevy Light-Weight Crankshafts
Our 4340 Light-Weight includes standard features like straight shot oiling, 1/8" radii, heat treat, plus lightweight profiling, center counterweight removal, four lightening holes and radius edges. Smaller O.D. reduces rotating mass for quicker response, and less drag.

Last edited by explicite86; 03-24-2011 at 09:48 PM. Reason: typo
Old 03-24-2011, 11:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Canadian_EF
Alright. So I'm thinking Stage I Exedy clutch + pressure plate + getting my DX flywheel lightened a couple pounds. Nothing crazy, maybe like 4-6 pounds lighter. Staying N/A for as long as I can anyways.
getting the flywheel lightened? you should def have it resurfaced so its smooth for the new clutch buuut the machine shop isnt gonna be shaving pounds of material off. you want a lighter flwheel you buy one thats designed that way already