Fuel system issues

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2008, 05:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel system issues

Alright I will start with the basis of what the car has, wha the issues are, and what we have tried.

1988 Crx Was a GSR, Now LS/Vtec.

Was tunning Factory P72, becuase my chipped P28 would not work correctly, cause lots of bogging and hesatation.

Changed out All the injectors, with new seals, and also replaced Fuel pressure regulator.

Car ran absolutly great, and I was finially able to get to run my Chipped P28.

Now, about a month down the road the problems are back.

Under light throttle The car hesitates, and sometimes at High RPM you can hear and feel it start to break up.

This all happens only after the car has reached operating teampature.

The O2 sensor is disabled on the ecu, we wanted to rule that out, and still having issues.

I have changed my fuel fitler 3 times since I got the car, and each time the fuel comes out quite dark brown.

I am tired of this problem, and said screw it last night. Ordered a new Fuel pump, and NEW gas tank. Also planning to blow out all the lines, and yet again change the fual filter.

Any other suggestions on what I need to be looking at/for, with problems like this?
Old 02-24-2008, 09:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Fuel system issues (Twisted Image)

my first though is how well is it tuned?
but dark brown fuel sounds pretty bad. now is the fuel coming out of the filter the same color.
IDK i'm just throwing this out there, if you fuel is truely dirty could it have fouled up your new injectors already?

and have you tried putting the p72 ecu back?
Old 02-25-2008, 07:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Fuel system issues (grog)

Tried changing out ecu's....And its the same.

Fuel coming out of the filter is brown again. not near as bad as the last 3 times I have changed it, but still way darker then it should be.

The only thing that has helped it whenever it starts doing this past problems and present, is a mixture of 1 bottle of lucas injector cleaner and 1/4-1/3 bottle of seafoam.

I have tried gas from difrent stations, and also ran everything from 87,89 (non ethanol blend) and 89,91 (ethanol blend) and it does the same stuff every time.

This issue has been a Pain, and really would like for it to be gone for good!
Old 02-26-2008, 10:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Any other sugestions/tips? I will have the new tank and fuel pump here friday. Also getting a fuel pressure guage to go on my filter to put my adjustable fuel pressure reg back on. I didnt see a point to it before with the factory GSR and factory stuff.

Now with New injectors, rail, lines, pump, tank, I might just adjust the FP if someone can give me some hints on that too....Gonna search alot right now first, but need tips on my problems!

Forgot to add, also just replaced the main relay as I thought maybe it was because it was getting quite warm to the touch it wasnt working properly....still have issues, but at least I shouldnt burn it out as soon as I get my pump in!
Old 03-02-2008, 04:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Alright thought I would post an update to this thread as I finished all my work this weekend.

Dropped the old tank to find quite a surprise, I wish I would have taken pictures.
I think this car has been or was ambushed at a point in time.

We found Dirt, Rocks, and a few full sheets of paper towel in the gas tank!
So the car now has a locking gas door even thought I think it was ambushed well before I had it.

Replaced the in tank pump with a walbro 255 unit, wow! You can hear that thing turn on!

Checked pressure with new pump and tank, and found with my factory regulator on the rail I was only getting 30 pounds of static pressure (no vac hooked up) and 22-24 pounds with Vac hooked up

So put my B&M unit back on, and got settings back into the right specs of 44-46 static, and it drops to 38-40 with the vac hooked up.

Car runs great again! I think My fuel system woe's are over!
Old 03-02-2008, 05:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow Sabotage.

Good thing they didnt light that paper towel.

I'm interested to see the pics if you take any.