ES Bushing install

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2006, 07:24 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default ES Bushing install

Well i looked through the FAQ and there were 2 very good links so i think i can take on the task off installing my ES bushing kit myself, looks like i may be able to get away without usin a press which i don't have I guess just drilling out the old bushings and using a washers/bolt combo to pull the new bushings in...Pretty much just looking for some tips from people who have done it, i was worried about doing it untill i read those links, it isn't a car i need to drive so it can have some down time and i want to put them on when i do my front crossmember so i can get one alignments, thanks for any input...Matt
Old 07-05-2006, 08:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: ES Bushing install (Loserkidwac)

The only bushings you need to use the trick on are the upper control arms and rear trailing arms.
Also, I wouldnt recommend using the rear trailing arm and inner front control arm bushings. They both have a 2 axis movement which the es bushings do not provide. The bushings deform over time(a matter of a month in my case) and cause play. My car would toe-out under braking making it one very interesting track day.
Old 07-05-2006, 08:30 AM

Default Re: ES Bushing install (tilt)

Hmm I never heard that about the inner control arm and tailing arm bushings anyone else have some input on this?

tilt did you have any trouble installing th busihings yourself or did you have access to a press?
Old 07-05-2006, 10:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

if you have a socket assortment, vise, ball joint press and an impact then you can remove them all in your garage. make sure you soak the bushings in pb blaster and allow them to bake on the ground for a while before removal.
i was able to reinstall every bushing in the kit by hand with a c-clamp and quarters.

throw the ball joint boots in the trash because the es boots don't seal very well especially the front upper control arm. if you need to replace a boot, i recommend replacing the ball joint.
Old 07-05-2006, 10:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: ES Bushing install (eda6)

DO NOT use the ES trailing arm bushings. I have yet to see an install where the pivot and bushings stay stationary in the trailing arm. I would STRONGLY recommend purchasing a set of press in bushings from Honda (I don't think they sell em anymore) or Mugen (highly recommended) (http://www.redshiftmotorsports...at=28). You could even go as far as sourcing some heim joint type bearings

Modified by mntuner2 at 11:02 PM 7/5/2006
Old 07-05-2006, 11:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Loserkidwac &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Hmm I never heard that about the inner control arm and tailing arm bushings anyone else have some input on this?

tilt did you have any trouble installing th busihings yourself or did you have access to a press?</TD></TR></TABLE>

i have never had that problem and never heard of it?
Old 07-05-2006, 11:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: ES Bushing install (HT Chaplain)

Here is a vid of the inner control arm bushing: http://www.sexyracing.com/tilt/vids/esbushing.avi
It is so deformed the inner collar just falls straight through. The collar was originally snug and had to be pounded in. The play caused so much positive toe I had to death grip the steering wheel or it would wander under braking. Sorry about the quality, it's from a digicam.
As for trailing arm, just do a search on binding and trailing arm.