djphonics Project Log, 1988 CRX Si (lots of pics!).

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2006, 07:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: (djphonics)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by djphonics &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I've found that on the rare occasion that I find an EF in portland junkyards, it's totally stripped of any useful parts. You might check Parts Adventure (they are somewhere in portland), but they are hella expensive from what I've heard.</TD></TR></TABLE>

No doubt. I actually did find an EF at the U Pull it out on Foster road. It had a mini me A6/Z6, the motor looked like it was in really good shape, it also had a tapped oil pan etc. It's very rare that I find an EF with anything left on it though.

I wouldn't bother with Auto Adventure downtown. They are so incredibly over priced it's not even funny. There has been a few times when they quoted me a price that was more than I could buy the part for brand new from Honda. lol. Plus they are ******** in there, I have never been treated well by their employees. They are just a waste of time all together.

I do find a lot of good deals on craig's list though.
Old 11-06-2006, 09:13 AM

Default Re: (EJ1 wilcox)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EJ1 wilcox &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
I wouldn't bother with Auto Adventure downtown. They are so incredibly over priced it's not even funny. There has been a few times when they quoted me a price that was more than I could buy the part for brand new from Honda. lol. Plus they are ******** in there, I have never been treated well by their employees. They are just a waste of time all together.

I do find a lot of good deals on craig's list though. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Man that is just B.S. I have heard about how taxed those guys are so many times. I don't think I'll ever bother even stopping by.

for CL though!
Old 11-06-2006, 09:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (doitdub)

nice work so far man

im an oregon local with an "ef" (ed) also

if u ever need any helpp lemme noe...i would be happy to make the drive to give a fellow efer a hand
Old 11-06-2006, 05:06 PM

Default Re: (BlackGSRhhatch)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by BlackGSRhhatch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">nice work so far man

im an oregon local with an "ef" (ed) also

if u ever need any helpp lemme noe...i would be happy to make the drive to give a fellow efer a hand </TD></TR></TABLE>

Right on man. Thanks for the offer.
Old 11-08-2006, 08:25 AM

Update:

Went and picked up a DOHC ZC complete with Dizzy, Manifold, Si Transmission, ZC ECU, and other random stuff for $300.

Here is the motor:

The stamp:

The Si Tranny:

Box of extra stuff:

...plus I put the hubs back on the rear disk swap. Just need RTA bushings, pads, and rotors:

Old 11-08-2006, 08:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

All that stuff for $300?

What kind of shape is the motor in? That's a killer deal if it is in good shape and doesn't need a rebuild.

Old 11-08-2006, 08:46 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EJ1 wilcox &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">All that stuff for $300?

What kind of shape is the motor in? That's a killer deal if it is in good shape and doesn't need a rebuild.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

It seems to be in good shape and was in running condition. Supposedly has 80k but who the hell knows for sure. I'm gonna take the head off and inspect it. It does turn over fine though.
Old 11-08-2006, 09:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Looks like its got a few miles on it but appearences dont mean ****. I would probably go ahead and build it while its out anyway. Unless you got it from an importer than its already been in 2 diffrent cars, the one it came off of in Japan and the one you got it out of. With all the work your putting in your car I would definatly build it. You can get a rebuild kit complete with pistons, bearings, gaskets, everything you need for like $400 and it aint **** to do especially if your gonna take the head off. Taking the head off is half the work. All thats left is pulling the pan and the crank. I would definatly concider it.
Old 11-08-2006, 09:38 PM

Update:

Started pulling apart the ZC. She's a dirty bitch inside, and looks like it was running kinda rich, but there is no damage. The head is in good shape. The stock paper head gasket looks pretty thrashed on and the pistons have some nasty carbon buildup, but I think it will be fine for a rebuild.

Here's the top end with the head pulled off, with your's truly modelling one of my CRX t-shirts in the background (they are for sale in my sig, but keep that on the DL lol):

A little closer:

Some nasty **** on top of the pistons:

And the bottom end, which seems to be OK, besides being dirty:

Modified by djphonics at 10:55 PM 11/8/2006
Old 11-08-2006, 09:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Damn! Somebody did'nt change there oil for ****. I bet it smells like burnt oil. I would definatly build it. Its a bad *** engine and it will be hard to beat when its new again and then you will have that EF CRX to match that pimp *** shirt!
Old 11-09-2006, 08:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Looks like she's got some miles on her.

How do the cylinder walls look?

Those paper headgaskets are so fun to remove! lol

What are you drinking? Doesn't look familiar.
Old 11-09-2006, 08:25 AM

wanna give me your standard wheel centers? pleeeeeeeeease lol
Old 11-09-2006, 08:34 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EJ1 wilcox &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Looks like she's got some miles on her.

How do the cylinder walls look?

Those paper headgaskets are so fun to remove! lol

What are you drinking? Doesn't look familiar. </TD></TR></TABLE>

The cylinder walls still show cross hatching and look pretty good. There is some very light vertical marking at the very top of some of the cylinder walls.

The beer is called Horn Dog by Flying Dog Brewery. Its a Barley Wine style beer and is like 11%. It's pretty intense!

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by DmcL &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">wanna give me your standard wheel centers? pleeeeeeeeease lol
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Well I'm going to be selling the wheels with centers and decent tires pretty soon .
Old 11-09-2006, 01:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Right on, it's good to see other people who are into big beers like barley wines.

Old 11-09-2006, 02:13 PM

i just ordered 2 t-shirts, bad *** man, one for me, one for the lady, thanx
Old 11-09-2006, 02:14 PM

expletive yea, I get full sail barley wine fairly regularly, that **** is awesome. I've been geeking out on wines lately though.

What are your plans for the engine? FI? NA?
Old 11-09-2006, 02:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts
Default Re: (stankin95CX)

lookin good. Let me know if you need any ZC bottom end parts
Old 11-09-2006, 03:13 PM

Default Re: (godruler)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by godruler &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i just ordered 2 t-shirts, bad *** man, one for me, one for the lady, thanx</TD></TR></TABLE>

Thank you, sir.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by stankin95CX &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">What are your plans for the engine? FI? NA?</TD></TR></TABLE>

I'm gonna run it OBD0 with a chipped ECU using TurboEdit. I'm going to run it NA for a lil bit and then throw about 7lbs of boost on er. First will be a rebuild.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Autoworks &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">lookin good. Let me know if you need any ZC bottom end parts </TD></TR></TABLE>

Thanks. What parts do you have? I'm definitely looking for parts, as I'm rebuilding this motor.
Old 11-20-2006, 10:17 PM

Updizzle fo shizzle

I got some more parts in the mail today. I decided to try the Revo Technica EF front Camber Kit. It was a great price, and it is an actual adjustable control arm. I'm a bit nervous about if the socket head cap screws will be adjustable when the arm is in the car, but if they're not, I will modify them to use a captive nut on the top and the screw from the bottom. I also got the Revo Technica rear camber kit because it was cheap and seems pretty solid. The poly bushings are the CRX (89-91) rear lower control arm kit. I bought them to replace the busted up bushings in the LCA's that are going in with my '91 Si rear disk swap. I got them from Summit Racing for like $40.

As far as the ZC goes, I got the block to a machine shop (Tabor's Machine Shop in Vancouver, WA ) and the hot tanked it and then measured it up, reporting a cylinder taper of .003" . Spec is .002" so I'm just gonna bore and hone the ******. I just ordered some Honda oversize pistons, rings, and new wristpins. From everything I've ever heard, Honda's piston rings are damn good, so I don't feel too bad paying $100 for them.

Here's a pic of the suspension parts:

And a shot of the Revo Technica front upper control arm (bottom view):

That's all for now. I'm going to Japan for 2 weeks starting on the 25th, but I should have the suspension on after that and then I'll start putting the ZC back together.

Modified by djphonics at 12:54 AM 11/21/2006
Old 11-21-2006, 06:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

looking good, for another DOHC ZC
Old 11-21-2006, 10:11 AM

i hope to see a super clean bay and motor when your done..

nice work so far
Old 11-21-2006, 10:53 AM

Default Re: (ablefun)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ablefun &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i hope to see a super clean bay and motor when your done..

nice work so far</TD></TR></TABLE>

Of course. I can't stand to put even a single dirty part back on my car. I'm a detail person .
Old 11-21-2006, 10:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: djphonics Project Log, 1988 CRX Si, DOHC ZC (lots of pics!). (djphonics)

hey in your rear brake system, how did you take out the big bushings?
Old 11-21-2006, 01:38 PM

Default Re: djphonics Project Log, 1988 CRX Si, DOHC ZC (ungcobob)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ungcobob &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">hey in your rear brake system, how did you take out the big bushings? </TD></TR></TABLE>

It's easy. They are a taper fit, so you have to just grab a hammer and whack them a few times from the inside of the trailing arm, and they pop right out.
Old 11-21-2006, 01:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by djphonics &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Thanks. What parts do you have? I'm definitely looking for parts, as I'm rebuilding this motor.</TD></TR></TABLE>
Alot, spare intake mani and TB if you want to get one bored. Also have all the bottom end pieces. Probably some more stuff.
I have a new unopened set of ARP rod bolts, new Wnergy Suspension swaybar end links, new ACL bearings, new ST rear sway bar.... just PM me

Quick Reply: djphonics Project Log, 1988 CRX Si (lots of pics!).