Notices

D series Mini-me Timing Problems Aftermarket Cam Gear

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2017, 01:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default D series Mini-me Timing Problems Aftermarket Cam Gear

I've got an ef Hatch with a d15b7 block and a d16y8 head with a Z6 comps cam 59100 camshaft. I am using the VMS cam gear on ebay that states 88-00 cam gear, but doesn't specify if its indexed like a y8 or a z6/b1/b2 cam gear. I don't have any other cam gears to compare it to either. So that's one small issue, if anyone knows how those are indexed please let me know.. Ive called the company and left messages and don't want to give me a straight answer.. My next question is, can I just throw in the distributor, set cam gear to where I would believe it should be (It can't be off more than 4.75 degrees advanced or retarded) and then with a timing light and the distributor centered find the 16 degrees? or would this be wrong to time the engine? Thanks let me know. Appreciate any help.
Old 12-29-2017, 01:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 64 Likes on 60 Posts
Default Re: D series Mini-me Timing Problems Aftermarket Cam Gear

no your right
with the timing light youll be set
that should work just fine
Old 12-29-2017, 02:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Hey, thanks for the reply. I just want to confirm... Basically you are telling me that it's right to center the distributor, like centered as a stock engine not advanced or retarded at all, just centered, then turn engine on and connect service port jumper, then adjust the cam gear until its hitting 16 degrees exactly with a timing light?
Old 12-29-2017, 02:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i dont want to make you feel bad hehe
but an adjustable cam gear on a sohc motor is a waste of time its mainly just there to look pretty
what your going to adjust on the cam gear can also be adjusted on the other end of the cam with the dizzy 99 percent of the time
Old 12-29-2017, 02:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Okay we aren't understanding each other.. I don't think you understand that Cam timing and distributor timing are two different things, but altering Cam timing affects ignition timing. When doing a d15 mini me with a d16 head with a d16z6 cam your timing will be off 4.75 degrees. So again... my question stands, Leaving the distributor centered... because the idea that im trying to get across to you is that Im using that "centered distributor" as reference to finding perfect timing.. Assuming I leave the distributor centered, and shine the timing line, if I don't get 16 degrees should I adjust the cam gear to reach that true timing of 16 degrees, or would it be mechanically wrong, that has been the question all along.
Old 01-01-2018, 01:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i do understand boss but they do the same thing on a sohc motor
its like your steering rack and your tie rods for example there different parts but they both steer the car

all that matters is that the little white line on that crank lines up with the arrow on the timing cover
thats all this is

good luck