Notices

Clutch and Flywheel setups what do you recommend?

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2008, 11:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch and Flywheel setups what do you recommend?

I have an 88 crx thats going to be my new DD hopefully very soon. It has a blown engine at the moment. Planning to put a ZC dohc in it. Well i was thinking its a perfect time to put a good clutch and flywheel. Im looking for roughly a stage 1 just to eliminate the slippage and get a little bit more power. Im not building a race car here just a budget DD. i have heard of clutchmaster and centerforce clutch. On the internet found a company called exedy are there clutchs anygood? On ebay i found f1 but really really cant find any more info on them other then on here saying there pretty much crap. Who makes a good flywheel on summits website i found fidanza and zoom pros or cons to any of those? Also will a lightened flywheel last as long as a OEM spec flywheel?I know theres alot of questions all in one. Im not real familiar with cars since i have only driven and worked on trucks.
Old 01-18-2008, 07:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Clutch and Flywheel setups what do you recommend? (tacorunner87)

exedy is top of the line quality. i have the 9lb fly with the stage 1 clutch on a b16 and i love the setup. the pedal has a little bit more stiffness than a stock clutch but tons more grip. i couldnt say enough good things about the quality and work of their setups
Old 01-18-2008, 08:22 AM

Default Re: Clutch and Flywheel setups what do you recommend? (Donkey85)

cool, thats what ill most likely end up with.

One more question for those who have done the swap from the stock 1.5/1.6 to the zc dohc i know its basicly what came in a 90-93 integra. even though im using the stock transmission from the crx do i use the flywheel and clutch for a crx or for the intergra. im guessing if everything just bolts up to the stock transmission im guessing i would just use the crx clutch and flywheel
Old 01-18-2008, 08:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by tacorunner87 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">cool, thats what ill most likely end up with.

One more question for those who have done the swap from the stock 1.5/1.6 to the zc dohc i know its basicly what came in a 90-93 integra. even though im using the stock transmission from the crx do i use the flywheel and clutch for a crx or for the intergra. im guessing if everything just bolts up to the stock transmission im guessing i would just use the crx clutch and flywheel</TD></TR></TABLE>

You've got the wrong years on your Integra. Generation before had the brown-top ZC, and it isn't the same from my understanding. Some parts match up others don't.

Exedy is the same company Honda goes to for OEM clutches, and a "Stage 1" will treat you very well for that set up.

You need the clutch splines to match up to the CRX transmission, and the ZC I BELIEVE (not 100%) will bolt up to a regular D-series flywheel. I would search around or wait for an answer here.
Old 01-18-2008, 09:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Clutch and Flywheel setups what do you recommend? (JustAnotherRex)

If I'm not mistaken use the clutch and flywheel combo for whatever year Civic your ZC engine is...as long as both the engine and tranny are 89, 90 or 91 you can use the 90-91 clutch and flywheel together and you'll be OK. The spline count for either 88 engine or tranny is different than the later years and can't be interchanged. 23 vs. 26 IIRC.

I am running the Exedy organic and an F1 Racing lightened flywheel in my stock DPFI '89 LX, I am quite pleased.
Old 01-18-2008, 07:37 PM

Default Re: Clutch and Flywheel setups what do you recommend? (bigrob119)

Cool thanks for all the info ill do some more research.
Old 01-19-2008, 01:33 PM

I was talking with a guy that sells the exedy clutch he also sells the f1 clutch i read somewhere i think it was here that there junk. what are your guys thoughts on the f1 clutch?
Old 01-19-2008, 05:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by tacorunner87 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I was talking with a guy that sells the exedy clutch he also sells the f1 clutch i read somewhere i think it was here that there junk. what are your guys thoughts on the f1 clutch?</TD></TR></TABLE>

No idea, stage 1 has always worked well for me. Seen it do fine on street driving up to 300 hp.
Old 01-19-2008, 05:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i got the fidanza fly, and the exedy stage 1 clutch... I LOVE THIS SETUP!! revs so quick, dont mind what some people say "o, your going to have a hard time driving a lightened flywheel for daily driver" you wont, you just have to get used to it. now... if your rolling back about 5mph, stick it in first gear and do a normal takeoff clutch disengagement, yes, the light flywheel is noticeable... i have killed it many times doing this. but that only happens like 8 times a year... lol so no worrys. i had boost on my clutch also, no slippage period. at the track, ran a 13.4 chirping the tires into 4th. i would highly recommend exedy clutch. i have seen a combo on ebay before. exact setup that i have, for under $300!! thats a STEAL!