Notices

Bushing Install Write-up

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2004, 05:36 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (88DXCRX)

If you've installed the ES bushings you would know that they are 2 and sometimes 3 parts that go into each area. The urethane bushings in that pic have 2 outer parts that get pushed in with a urethane ring between them. You don't need to drill a hole in the bushing to the bolt pin.

Vince
Old 06-15-2004, 09:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: (AgentJam)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by AgentJam &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">If you've installed the ES bushings you would know that they are 2 and sometimes 3 parts that go into each area. The urethane bushings in that pic have 2 outer parts that get pushed in with a urethane ring between them. You don't need to drill a hole in the bushing to the bolt pin.

Vince</TD></TR></TABLE>

Sorry to bring this back from the dead... I was wondering about those zerk fittings. You just drill a hole in the arm, and then thread them in? It doesn't seem like squeezing some grease in one spot would lube the whole bushing.

I'd like to get the ES bushings, but am worried about the squeaking and wear issues. With the zerks installed, are they quiet and durable as stock? I don't want to have to keep changing out the bushings every few years.

Old 06-15-2004, 09:41 AM
Keyboard Humorist

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Re: (EX_AutoXer)

IT probably doesn't lube the entire bushing just as you are figuring. It probably lubes about 1/3 of the bushing and thn starts spitting out from the sides of the bushing.

If you wanted, you could drill the hole for the fitting and all that. Then, with a Dremel, you could create a channel all the way around inside the LCA that lines up with the grease fitting hole. That way when you pumped in some grease it would flow all the way around the bushing inside the channel and then lube a lot more of the bushing.

I used the ES kit, but I roughed up the bushing as well as the inside of the LCA with some sandpaper. I coated the bushing with the grease that ES supplies and hosed the inside of the LCA with whitle lithium spray on grease. After 1 year the bushing have never squeeked. I get creaks though, but only when drivnig really slow over nasty driveway dips and stuff like that. I don't know if it's chassis or bushings creaking - suspension is STIFF!
Old 06-15-2004, 10:26 AM
My old title sucked.

Default Re: (4drEF)

I'm actually doing my suspension and full bushing kit today on my hatchback. I'll post pics in a couple of days.
Old 06-15-2004, 10:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (LudeEFv2.0)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by LudeEFv2.0 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I'm actually doing my suspension and full bushing kit today on my hatchback. I'll post pics in a couple of days.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Great thanks. There are so many threads out there, that I'm having trouble sorting it all out.

What type of grease does everyone use on the bushings?

I'm installing a comptech rear sway/tie combo with poly bushings today, should I lube those as well?
Old 06-15-2004, 11:05 AM

I used Blue lithium grease i got from pep boys and they have been squeak free for 4 months. Great upgrade!

Vince
Old 06-15-2004, 11:15 AM
Skoobie no more...

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EX_AutoXer &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">What type of grease does everyone use on the bushings?
</TD></TR></TABLE>

this is what one guy recommended

"btw, marine grease works better. it doesn't wash off as easily as common automotive greases. try boat US or west marine. a couple bucks will get you a lifetime supply."
Old 06-15-2004, 11:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Location: The Land Of Car Thieves/Rising Gas Prices Daygo, CA, US

nice links peeps...i just read through most of them......i am thinking of doing it.....just a little more research.....
Old 06-15-2004, 11:36 AM
Skoobie no more...

Default Re: (dgonzals)

it took me 4 hours to do one Rear LCA

almost most of the included grease is gone

result: 2 broken drill bits
: 2 broken screwdrivers
Old 06-15-2004, 11:41 AM
My old title sucked.

Default Re: (Hybrid Hatchback)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Hybrid Hatchback &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">it took me 4 hours to do one Rear LCA

almost most of the included grease is gone

result: 2 broken drill bits
: 2 broken screwdrivers </TD></TR></TABLE>

sounds like the first time that stuff has ever come off your car
Old 06-15-2004, 11:43 AM
Skoobie no more...

Default Re: (LudeEFv2.0)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by LudeEFv2.0 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

sounds like the first time that stuff has ever come off your car </TD></TR></TABLE>

yep god damn those 14 year old bushings :middlefinger:

i need a before i attempt the other LCA
Old 06-15-2004, 12:04 PM

I didn't have a press.
When I did mine, I just put the LCA's in the vice so I was actually clamping the steel portion of the bushing. Then I put a breaker bar over the other end of the LCA and pulled it arround until the rubber snapped free.

Use a saw or dremel to cut two grooves in the middle of the bushing outward being careful not to cut into the LCA. Clamp the LCA and use a screwdriver to pop out each quareter of the remaining bushing. It helps if you actually heat the screwdriver to ease it into the rubber.

Then just use a variety of wire wheel sizes to clean the various holes.

My $.02. It worked very well for me, and the wheels help put a good grain in the metal for holding grease.

Marine grease is one of the better products, or use the Formula 5 Bushing Lube if you can find it.
Old 06-15-2004, 12:20 PM
Skoobie no more...

Default Re: (Bishop4G)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Bishop4G &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I didn't have a press.
When I did mine, I just put the LCA's in the vice so I was actually clamping the steel portion of the bushing. Then I put a breaker bar over the other end of the LCA and pulled it arround until the rubber snapped free.

Use a saw or dremel to cut two grooves in the middle of the bushing outward being careful not to cut into the LCA. Clamp the LCA and use a screwdriver to pop out each quareter of the remaining bushing. It helps if you actually heat the screwdriver to ease it into the rubber.

Then just use a variety of wire wheel sizes to clean the various holes.

My $.02. It worked very well for me, and the wheels help put a good grain in the metal for holding grease.

Marine grease is one of the better products, or use the Formula 5 Bushing Lube if you can find it.</TD></TR></TABLE>

thats like what i did i driilled a bunch of holes in the bushing clamped the original bushing insert with the vise and then twisted. wored great, the hardest part was getting the damn metal part out.
Old 06-15-2004, 12:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Hybrid Hatchback &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

the hardest part was getting the damn metal part out. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Yeah, I'm not looking forward to that part of the LCA bushing install. I've got a recipricating saw on standby for when the parts come in.

Old 06-15-2004, 12:28 PM
Skoobie no more...

just becarful not to cut too far, i used the hack saw most of the time.