Notices

best single cam engine in a 91 hatch

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2011, 09:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: best single cam engine in a 91 hatch

Originally Posted by rudyndrew
Know a shop out here that's got d15b vtecs for 450.
thank you bro i know the d15b vtecs are cheap
Old 06-16-2011, 09:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by N3va3vaSatisfi3d
TonyLove - it's all fun and games to me. Either way I just checked eGay and the cheapest JDM 92-95 D15 was still $1k - and you are stuck with whatever transmission you have. At that point your are better off going B-swap. Hey, if you are happy with it then good for you - I don't play with D-series any ways, at least not any more.

P.S. I have always said, "The Haterade is there for you to drink, not me!"
if you dont play with d series any more then gtfo
Old 06-16-2011, 10:01 AM
DO IT ON ALL FOURS

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by tonylovesjdmEF9
Alright kid, I was putting up with your crap but now you are asking for it. Clearly you are a broke *** kid with no experience. You race other people with garbage cars because you live in the ghetto. I live no where near the west coast that is flooded with JDM stuff so for me it's a waste of time. You ask the dumbest questions that define your lack of knowledge and experience. Stop trying to compare ***** because you will lose every time.
Old 06-16-2011, 10:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

lmao i live in the ghetto. hahah if its a waste of time then get out of the honda scene your think your all smart yet you still havent proved me wrong ther are more than 3 ppl on this thread that agree with me that the d15b vtec is cheap n is the best dont hate cuz i live in cali and i get easy access to more parts motors and other stuff than you if im so broke then why do i have a b18c1 sitting in my garage why is it that to do maintence on my car i use mostly oem honda parts from the dealer ship and i do all my work on my car from my swaps to electrical yeah bro im just a broke kid that had three hondas 91 civic 94 coupe and a 99 coupe sorry that my info is better and backed up by other ppl that i dont know
Old 06-16-2011, 12:07 PM
DO IT ON ALL FOURS

When did I ever say the JDM D15 wasnt a viable option or even a bad one? Not everyone has easy street access to JDM stuff. Most of who agreed with you are from CA too. You said most not all - and you can't afford to pay a shop. Also, your newest car is a 99' which is over a decade old which further proves my point. You said it yourself C1 not the baller C5... add another one to the tally. You make this too easy. Also, stay in school - I said JDM stuff is a waste of MY time, not Hondas, as I boost everything I touch; aside from my Chevy - those are half and half. The head and block don't care where it's from when you force it to breathe and the tuning is completely different. Thank you for the laughs though son - this is good entertainment while I sit on my *** at work.
Old 06-16-2011, 01:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts

Alright kid, I was putting up with your crap but now you are asking for it. Clearly you are a broke *** kid with no experience. You race other people with garbage cars because you live in the ghetto. I live no where near the west coast that is flooded with JDM stuff so for me it's a waste of time. You ask the dumbest questions that define your lack of knowledge and experience. Stop trying to compare ***** because you will lose every time.
lmao i live in the ghetto. hahah if its a waste of time then get out of the honda scene your think your all smart yet you still havent proved me wrong ther are more than 3 ppl on this thread that agree with me that the d15b vtec is cheap n is the best dont hate cuz i live in cali and i get easy access to more parts motors and other stuff than you if im so broke then why do i have a b18c1 sitting in my garage why is it that to do maintence on my car i use mostly oem honda parts from the dealer ship and i do all my work on my car from my swaps to electrical yeah bro im just a broke kid that had three hondas 91 civic 94 coupe and a 99 coupe sorry that my info is better and backed up by other ppl that i dont know
When did I ever say the JDM D15 wasnt a viable option or even a bad one? Not everyone has easy street access to JDM stuff. Most of who agreed with you are from CA too. You said most not all - and you can't afford to pay a shop. Also, your newest car is a 99' which is over a decade old which further proves my point. You said it yourself C1 not the baller C5... add another one to the tally. You make this too easy. Also, stay in school - I said JDM stuff is a waste of MY time, not Hondas, as I boost everything I touch; aside from my Chevy - those are half and half. The head and block don't care where it's from when you force it to breathe and the tuning is completely different. Thank you for the laughs though son - this is good entertainment while I sit on my *** at work.
where's the tech? if you must continue your mature and eloquent debate do so by PM.
Old 06-16-2011, 01:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

why would i have to pay a shop when i could do a full rebuild of a motor my self???? i thought my knowledge was crap???? didnt you say a y8 would walk over my d15b and wow sorry im not interested one 2011 si even edmuds say that the 99-00 si was a better choice. if you really knew that the c1 and c5 blocks are the same they dont even change only thing that changes are the pistons n the head so much difference sorry let me go buy k20z1 or a k24a2....ummmm like i care how you boost everything you touch you sir still havent proven a point my advice to the guy of how is a y8 better than a d15b vtec by the way this is my last post in this thread cuz mr nevereversatisfied doesnt even prove a point and talks about boosting and other stuff that doesnt even mater the point is the best d series single cam out there is d15b ppl agree and the numbers dont lie
Old 06-16-2011, 02:17 PM
PHANTOM MENACE

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ppl agree and the numbers dont lie
Actually facts don't lie and the fact of the matter is that 99.9% of us on here:

1 Aren't going to leave the engine in stock form
2 Aren't unbiased coming into this thread
3 Aren't looking at things from the same perspective

I could add a few more (actually a lot more) but I'll keep it short as I'm sure you guys get the point. Bottom line is there is no "best single cam engine in a 91 hatch" because we are all different and have different intentions. All there really is that we can do is provide pros and cons of each based on the FACTS. Even then that can only go so far because these engines are used and in some cases abused and no two engines will perform exactly the same.

Agree to disagree and move on.
Old 06-16-2011, 02:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

this thread is full of crap
Old 06-16-2011, 06:44 PM
DO IT ON ALL FOURS

Originally Posted by BiG ChOr!Zo
this thread is full of crap
Where is the love?

Since we were bench racing - I forgot to mention that a Z6 block with a Y8 head and head gasket is about 9.7:1 compression and would have more horsepower than a JDM D15.
Old 06-16-2011, 07:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 24TEN
Actually facts don't lie and the fact of the matter is that 99.9% of us on here:

1 Aren't going to leave the engine in stock form
2 Aren't unbiased coming into this thread
3 Aren't looking at things from the same perspective

I could add a few more (actually a lot more) but I'll keep it short as I'm sure you guys get the point. Bottom line is there is no "best single cam engine in a 91 hatch" because we are all different and have different intentions. All there really is that we can do is provide pros and cons of each based on the FACTS. Even then that can only go so far because these engines are used and in some cases abused and no two engines will perform exactly the same.

Agree to disagree and move on.
totaly agreed
Old 06-16-2011, 07:55 PM
Vietnamese!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In my opinion a D16A6.
Old 06-16-2011, 08:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Lol
Old 06-17-2011, 09:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Where is the love?

Since we were bench racing - I forgot to mention that a Z6 block with a Y8 head and head gasket is about 9.7:1 compression and would have more horsepower than a JDM D15.
I don't know that to be the case, because the d15b vtec engine supposedly has a hotter cam. It will probably make more torque than a d15b because of the head design of the y8 and added compression bump from the added quench pads on that head as well (not to mention that quench helps promote better combustion unless you're running a dome piston, a la p29)

As for the TB and port match, there has been much debate on it and after reading a thread a few years ago on d-series.org about the physics of it, I side on the team of leaving a step at least 2mm between the TB and inlet on the manifold (58mm TB, 60mm inlet). I don't have dyno sheets to prove it either way, but on a stock motor/intake mani I just don't see the TB being a choke point.

To the OP; if you're staying obd0 go d16a6, or if you swap go d15b/d16z6. I prefer z6's to d16y series due to their occasional oiling issues and I prefer the z6 head for most builds.
Old 07-01-2011, 05:58 PM
Trial User

Originally Posted by hybridmiklo
Serious? best single cam? F22b.
hahah your awesome dude
Old 07-01-2011, 06:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Best single cam?

Old 07-01-2011, 06:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Mugen built d16a6. Best ever.

Old 10-07-2012, 05:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Z6 block has better oiling and the Y8 head has better quench (better factory bowls) with the intake being more refined to the torque curve. This is assuming you want to either build it up or use cheaper used factory parts. Otherwise go stock D16Z6 - bit if you want to stay OBD-0 then hard to say... because pretty much all OBD-0 SOHC's suck. I would go JDM D15 or D16A6.

Also I am sure your D15 feels peppy, but if you put a stock Y8 in a EF it would walk a D15... The only way you are beating LS's is with shitty drivers or the actual vehicle (decent weight difference).
May I say something? I also have a d15b2 in my 91 CRX. Here are the mods:

Complete z6 vtec head and IM, intake, headers, crank was polished and balanced, all bearing were replaced, block was honed, Si trans, Si shift linkage, short shifter that I chopped even shorter, stage 2 exeddy clutch and pressure plate, very stiff and low suspension, 11lb HX wheels...I beat LS' too..I beat them so effortlessly I don't bother with them anymore. I have moved onto racing and beating more powerful cars (not all the time) like RSX-S from a dig and HWY runs. With that being said, I have no issues believing that (with the right driver and a light weight car like mine) these little 1.5 blocks can race and beat cars with twice the power. In conclusion don't be intimidated by bigger motors, just do yours right and drive it accrodingly
Old 10-07-2012, 06:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

You may say something on this old *** thread you bumped, but people with half a brain won't listen after you pluralize header.
Old 10-07-2012, 09:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

[QUOTE=crvtectim;47957246]You may say something on this old *** thread you bumped, but people with half a brain won't listen afte

Oh I'm sorry that's my fault. I don't know if you're being a ********, being cool or insinuating something else, but thanks for the insight. I'm just proud of my car.
Old 10-08-2012, 03:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I am/ it was a little bit of all that. And you're welcome. I'll be proud of your car too if you can post proof of your Mini Me walking a Type S on a highway pull.

Vids or it didn't happen! :p
Old 10-08-2012, 08:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by crvtectim
I am/ it was a little bit of all that. And you're welcome. I'll be proud of your car too if you can post proof of your Mini Me walking a Type S on a highway pull.

Vids or it didn't happen! :p
Ok. I'll try n do that. But is this unheard of? A mini me beating a type s? Because I have a buddy who has a hatch with a y8 that's faster than mine, that's who I'm really after. But yea I'll try n do that. And I didn't say I "walk them" it goes back and forth.

Last edited by GoodSon1; 10-08-2012 at 08:42 AM. Reason: Fucked up
Old 10-08-2012, 09:37 AM
PHANTOM MENACE

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hooray for bumping old threads

Originally Posted by GoodSon1
...I also have a d15b2 in my 91 CRX. Here are the mods:

Complete z6 vtec etc etc
Originally Posted by GoodSon1
...I have a buddy who has a hatch with a y8 that's faster than mine....
So after all that, the 1.6 is faster than your mini-me?
Old 10-08-2012, 09:54 AM
Keyboard Humorist

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

5 posts... resurrects old thread... makes beyond stupid comments... cusses people out that don't agree with them... chooses member name from a Macaulay Culkin movie...

Old 10-08-2012, 03:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Lulz, that was a pretty gnar movie too!