Notices

90 EF had no issues starting until I moved..

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2018, 11:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 90 EF had no issues starting until I moved..

I have a 90 EF Hatch with 160k original miles on the D16A6 motor. The car had no issues starting when I lived in Sacramento California.
In Sacramento, the coldest it would get in the winter would be about 32 degrees, and even that wasn't on a regular basis. However, where I
NOW live, it gets down into the teens at night and that seems to be when the starting issue first starting taking place.

When it sits for even a couple of hours in the cold it will then take me sometimes a dozen attempts or more to get the car running again.
Once the car is running, it seems to warm up and run just fine without further issues. The other thing is the fact that the car actually feels like
it's starting for a very brief second, then instantly dies. In other words, it doesn't seem like it's an issue with the starter, or the battery at all.

The plugs and wires were replaced about 3 months ago in California prior to my move to Idaho, but I may have damaged the suction cups of
a couple of the wires.. You know.. the suction cups that attach to the wires from your spark plugs to your dizzy? Sorry if I'm not using the right
verbatim lmaoo... anyways, I had those hard plastic tubes that go into the block and connect with the spark plugs pulled out of the motor and
laying side ways across the block with the hood closed for a few days when I left town. When I came back, I noticed the weight of the hood
caused a couple of the suction cups to not fit as snug when you insert the tubes into the block. Hmm.. wish I knew how to make more sense
of what the hell I'm talking about.. hopefully someone understands?

Anyways, thinking maybe I should replace the wires all together despite the fact they're only a few months old.. seems like it's not JUST the fact
of me moving to a colder place that caused the car to suddenly have issues starting. To me, it almost feels like the spark is very weak.. possibly
from me damaging the suction cup/plastic tube things that drop into the motor and connect with your spark plugs?

Mehh... any help appreciated
Old 01-08-2018, 11:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 64 Likes on 60 Posts
Default Re: 90 EF had no issues starting until I moved..

thats something to look into
inside the spark plug wire tube to see if its corroded

now when your trying to get the car started have you tried giving a little push on the gas peddle to try and get it running faster?
do you also have the d16a6 intake manifold with the cold start up valve still on?
heres a picture of the valve that i marked

that valve gives the throttle a little push on start up
but if its not there or if its broken then you just give it a little throttle with the foot peddle

it might work its worth a shot
let me know how it goes
Old 01-08-2018, 11:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: 90 EF had no issues starting until I moved..

I read the manual and it specifically states in colder weather in higher altitudes (2500+ ft. above sea level) that they recommend
pushing the gas pedal half way to the floor when starting the vehicle if you're having problems starting it on colder days.

This however hasn't been much help. The other odd thing is the fact that even after the car does finally start, warms up, I drive
it around town for an hour (without any other issues).. if I were to turn the car off even for a few seconds, I'll then have the same
trouble again getting it to start. So to me, this makes me think even more that it's the damage I caused to the wire/tubes and/or
the suction cups that I was describing in my OP. It doesn't seem to be an issue of it simply being cold outside.. if that were the
case, then I would have most likely had this issue from the very beginning when I moved out here. Instead, it only started happening
AFTER I removed the wires from the cylinders in a cheese attempt to keep the car from being stolen when I was out of town for
a few days.