Notices

88' Civic DX Hatch BUILD THREAD!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2013, 05:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: 88' Civic DX Hatch BUILD THREAD!!

Originally Posted by DCRB
wow looking forward to the end results the car before was already stupid clean. you probably don't need to hear this, but ditch that damn specter coupler and get some quality 3-5 ply silicone couplers.
Lol thanks man..yea it's really clean for its age but it does have its flaws..I wanted to get the body work done before I put the motor back in but as previously stated above its been sitting for almost a year and I really just want to get it back on the road..also I have over 10k in the car and its in pieces so I finally took the block to get machined, balanced and assembled. Which is going to cost a pretty penny to get back and then I still need a couple thousand in parts to get it back on the road not including how much it will cost to get it tuned...to sum it all up i cant wait to see the end result myself and I don't plan on getting rid of the car anytime soon so the body work will have to wait till later down the road..as for your comment lol the spectra couplers came with the turbo kit, but yes I will be getting some legit couplers!
Old 09-12-2013, 03:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

sorry i havent posted on here in a while ive been busy with work...so the project has been on hold, but i still made some time after work to do a little bit of work on the car!!

finally got my skunk2 front ball joint/camber kit installed

also cleaned up the intake manifold and painted it!!

Last edited by kcmofirehatch90; 05-05-2015 at 08:54 AM.
Old 09-12-2013, 03:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I love 88's for some reason...
Old 09-12-2013, 04:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

just an UPDATE!!!! my block is finally done!!! ill be picking it up tomorrow!! i had my LS crank polished and balanced as well...cant wait to get it back! i also went and bought a new AEM a/f wideband now i just need a boost guage and maybe a egt?? will post more pics tomorrow!

Last edited by kcmofirehatch90; 05-05-2015 at 08:57 AM.
Old 09-16-2013, 12:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

so I decided to paint the intercooler black as well(to match ic piping and ram horn) and I also touched up the intake manifold the other day and this is the finished product!

got my block back and painted it all up as well!

heres a list of everything done to the block from the machine shop:
-hot tanked
-bored and honed
-polished crankshaft
-balance rotating assembly
-line bored and assembled

they also resurfaced my type-r flywheel

heres the photo of my wideband...I didn't take it out of the box looks the same as the others but I also picked up so ARP head studs

Last edited by kcmofirehatch90; 10-15-2013 at 04:02 PM.
Old 09-16-2013, 01:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

just got a 3'' thermal exhaust

also ordered my fullrace traction bar today, I will post pics when it comes in!!
Old 09-19-2013, 02:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Coming along nice man, can't wait to see some numbers shes all together
Old 09-24-2013, 07:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I so I got my full race traction bar in the other day and also installed it!

I also got a professional products 68mm throttle body
Old 09-24-2013, 08:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Wish I had a traction bar May get one fabbed up for me. But most likely I'll just stick to the stock one and deal with wheel hop and bad clearance.
Old 09-29-2013, 04:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Got some DSS(drive shaft shop) 94'+ level 2.9 axles!!

Catch can-thing is pretty big don't know where I'm gonna mount it yet..

Some new drag wheels!! lenso/exospeed front and skinnies. The slicks are 25x8.7x13 and the skinnies are 24" tall on a 15" rim

Here a little test fit just to see what it looks like and I think the car looks like a beast with them on! Can't wait!!
Old 10-15-2013, 04:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

so its been a while since ive been on here so heres the latest update: i took my head to the shop and got it tapped and plugged for lsv, also got all new seals and gaskets so i can start putting everything together, also picked up a gates racing timing belt.

ive been busy with work so, so far i just started assembling the bottom end

also got a nice set of GSR cams! i didnt take any pics sorry, i dropped them off at the head shop to get all cleaned/polished up to look brand new again. ill post pics when i get them back and when that happends ill finish putting the rest of the block together!
Old 10-15-2013, 04:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Hey, honestly, how hard was installing the traction bar? I have the same one (red tie rods) and I am worried it might alter my alignment. Any tips? And that is a big catch can. I have mine and it's more of a water bottle size. Where did you get that exhaust too? I need a 3 inch exhaust.
Old 10-15-2013, 04:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Freemananana
Hey, honestly, how hard was installing the traction bar? I have the same one (red tie rods) and I am worried it might alter my alignment. Any tips? And that is a big catch can. I have mine and it's more of a water bottle size. Where did you get that exhaust too? I need a 3 inch exhaust.
Well I have never put one together or on before and it sucked it didn't come with any instructions, but overall it was pretty easy especially with no motor being in it..but after you install it you have to (or I would highly recommend) getting it adjusted and aligned properly! Safety first! And I got the exhaust off a friend locally
Old 10-16-2013, 02:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by kcmofirehatch90
Well I have never put one together or on before and it sucked it didn't come with any instructions, but overall it was pretty easy especially with no motor being in it..but after you install it you have to (or I would highly recommend) getting it adjusted and aligned properly! Safety first! And I got the exhaust off a friend locally
I was told to adjust the arms to the length of the stock ones and that should keep it from b eing mis-aligned. And I just got my alignment done (new knuckles and tie rods) not too long ago. So I guess I'll hold on the traction bar until I read some more about it.
Old 01-23-2014, 06:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

bringing this back from the dead! lol its been forever since ive really worked on my project but spring is right around the corner and my goal is to get it up and running by spring so i started putting everything together..pure sex, looks amazing! so stoked!!

i also repainted my valve cover, the paint had a chip in it and silver isnt really in my color combo...

before:

stripped it down and sanded it:

multiple coats of primer:

painted it wrinkle black:

painted the letters red, finished product:

i think it came out really good! just need to put a clear coat on it now..but thats it for now, ill post up more pics when i finish puttin it together!
Old 01-23-2014, 08:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

As soon as I saw the picture of the eagle crank with your dog in the background I knew I recognized it. Great build thread check out mine if ya want.
Old 01-24-2014, 02:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The last valve cover is very nice, clean style. good job ! Gates belt is very nice, i had never seen those. interessting .
Old 01-25-2014, 06:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Lookin good!
Old 01-28-2014, 06:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Okay so I went and got new cam seals and a red BWR camp cap

Installed the cams, got her all timed up, did the valve lash's and finished putting her together!

I forgot to put on the lower timing cover..so I'll have to go back and do that later

So I decided to do a test fit with the ram horn and turbo and encountered a problem!

Looks good but the problem is that the bungs on the valve cover come out right where the ram horns are and there isn't enough room to hook up the hoses... soooo I don't know if I should buy a new valve cover or cap off those bungs and reweld new ones on the other side...any suggestions?!?
Old 01-28-2014, 06:39 AM
Track Advocate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

what's that intercooler rated for? seems pretty small. And no timing covers?
Old 01-28-2014, 09:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by BLU CIVIC
what's that intercooler rated for? seems pretty small. And no timing covers?
The intercooler is a custom made back door intercooler I got off a guy locally I don't know exactly what it's rated for but should be plenty to hit the 400-500hp goal I was planning to reach because I think he was pushing around the same with it...as for the timing covers there not needed, but as stated above I forgot to put the lower timing cover on I'll have to go back and put it on later
Old 01-28-2014, 07:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

She's coming along great man. Did you get your head work done at Noland's? If not where did you get it done
Old 02-01-2014, 07:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by GreenMonsterEK
She's coming along great man. Did you get your head work done at Noland's? If not where did you get it done
Yea i reused my head off my b16 which was nice because it was already fully ported(nothing like your port work though), I took it to nolands and they cleaned it all up, decked it, installed my new valves, valve guides and seals, my springs and retainers , and a 3 angle valve job, and I installed the cams and did the valve lash when I mounted it to the bottom end...I also took my gsr cams there since I bought them used, I had them clean them up and make sure they were good before I installed them! I would recommend nolands to anyone in the Kansas City area they do great work and are pretty reasonable on $$$ where you located?
Old 02-02-2014, 01:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

On this head I'm using now its not ported except the factory port because its a type r head. I'm keeping my fully ported head for my boost build later down the road. I went up to Noland's the other day and I like there work from seeing other customers products and yes their pricing is reasonable. I'm hoping all motor first and just looking for around 190-200whp. Sold my type r cams which I'm regretting now since I only have gsr and b16 cams left to run all motor with.
Old 02-02-2014, 01:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Porting becomes easier the more you do it. Find junk heads and try different path flows. You should watch the video I posted about porting! Too easy. Saves you so much money! Very time consuming BUT the longer you take on it usually the better it feels knowing YOU did it.

Quick Reply: 88' Civic DX Hatch BUILD THREAD!!