1990 Honda Civic wagon automatic smoking

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2021, 05:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1990 Honda Civic wagon automatic smoking

Ok since wanting to post this a ways back and I hit up a decade old forum with no luck but thanks archives person that told me I am pretty sure I should start a new thread. please help however you can with advice. Longer story fixing to be longer sorry I'm smoking funny how the screen name even after all this time makes sense. White smoke worse during acceleration have heard this is the piston oil rings. however pressure check revealed piston one 150 piston two and three 140 piston and 4 150 I know the head gaskets good trust me. I bout a 1990 Honda Civic wagon automatic from a chick for $ 500 she thought it was locked up anyways she had fried the cylinder head wielded it! Camshaft would not turn looking forward to posting the pictures. block had no aparent or obvious problems Not warped that I could tell with a feeler gage and a level Anyways I just switched it with mine from a older civic the head I had no problems out of. So I get it granted it sat for so long it could have malfunctioned of sorts however idk if it's the case don't think so but I have heard about valve guides but I watch another guy state that's only going to happen when 1st fired up and should stop shortly after but what if bad enough like cracked? Idk I seen a bit on this discussion board about what should and should not be done what route should I go? Machine shopping for jobs but to be honest I just need to get this thing to stop smoking for my wife to drive it. Now granted she drive like a granny and it won't smoke during her driving I like to get up and go so when I do it billows Would I be better off buying another motor with less miles sorry this thing has over 230k but it still pulls great shifts great really I was impressed it was all ran hard though like chick didn't know what wtf she was doing obviously anyways longer story shorter. I have added 2 bottles of the ringseal stop smoke stuff and seemed to do nothing. I figured if compression would be bad enough to burn that much oil while getting onto it then the compression text wouldn't have been that good but I guess that's just with standard dry test. I should recheck wet test however more yadda yadda. I have read on other forums that compression can be 180 brand new motor down to 130 shot motor so I guess with only being 10psi away I guess I'm growing a brain to figure I should tear it apart. Just tired of working on it any advise now on how I should go about it. Have no garage to pull the engine so work would all be done inside the car. Got 3 young kids and love to spend time with them I hope in time and hopefully I can hear back from you all take care and best regards
Old 04-09-2021, 01:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: 1990 Honda Civic wagon automatic smoking

You will likely have get a different engine, but get a mechanic to go over any engine you buy, make sure you have the correct ecu also.