Honda CR-V & Element 2WD & 4WD Element & CR-V

CRV 2001 - Start problems + error code P0118

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2013, 03:20 PM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CRV 2001 - Start problems + error code P0118

Hi everyone,
we have a pretty fine CRV 2001 and been driving it for 4 months now. We bought it used at about 120000miles.
However, we have troubles with the ignition. It starts up fine (100%) when the car is cold, but once warmed up, it has troubles starting up again when you shut it down.
The engine cranks, but there is no ignition spark that would start it. It takes a couple of turning the ignition and pumping the gas pedal until it starts. It feels that it gets worse the shorter the interval between shut down and start is. If you leave it for say 10 minutes quick shopping it has troubles, if you leave it for an hour or two it starts up fine.
I was thinking it might be the idle air control / the ignition coil.

However, the check engine light came on just yesterday while the problem was there for a few weeks.
There is only one error code P0118 displayed.
My app says its Engine Coolant Temperature Circuit High Input.
Reading out the computer data while the car was idling in the parking lot, the car thinks the temperature after ignition is at -18.4F, when it's been ~50F outside the whole day (southern california).
Does that also explain the long start up procedure when the car is warmed up?

What I also experienced was that the RPM was oscillating when I parked the car and was about to turn it off. (Transmission in park mode)
Happened only once though, yet.

Suggestions / thoughts / experience on that issue anyone?
Thanks,
EL
Old 02-20-2013, 04:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: CRV 2001 - Start problems + error code P0118

This happened in the 1993 civic. It took me months to figure it out and subsequently I'd find myself stuck at the gas pump waiting for my car to cool down before I could start it again.

What happened for me was the water temperature sensor was getting stuck or misreading. this would basically tell the car that it was overheating and would keep the vehicle from starting again until the sensor cooled down long enough.

If that's the same code I cannot remember it's been so long but you'll just need a drain pan to catch the water that comes out when you pull the sensor and some more antifreeze to add back to the radiator after you reinstall a new one. I believe this sensor is located on the thermostat housing.

You can get a el-cheapo duralast sensor from autozone for about $30

I think the one below in the service manual is what you're looking for
Attached Images