Honda CR-V & Element 2WD & 4WD Element & CR-V

Center stop light works; lower ones don't

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2019, 03:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Center stop light works; lower ones don't

Our 2009 CRV has worked hard and well, but suddenly got an indigestion with the stop light system. While the upper center stop light works when brake depressed, the lower right and left lights don't light. Shares a common fuse with horn, and since horn and "cyclops' light works, ruled out fuse. Thought it odd that both right and left stop lights would go out simultaneously, but change them out anyway. Still a no go.

Stop light switch is a four-conductor system; test light shows HOT all times on one contact, a "two wires to the same terminal" shows HOT when pedal position is set to brake. The other two show no HOT any time. Tried replacing switch to no avail.

Anyone had this issue and solved? Any suggestions on best access to wiriing diagrams for exterior lighting and stop light subsystem? Considering a one-month subscription to Mitchell1 but hate to spend the dough if someone has a better idea. Thanks in advance!
Old 04-14-2019, 05:53 PM
Global Moderator

Received 423 Likes on 393 Posts
Default Re: Center stop light works; lower ones don't

1. The left and right brake lights are dual filament bulbs. Are the replacement bulbs the correct type of bulbs?

2. With the brake pedal depressed, is there battery power (+) at the green/white wires at the respective connectors to the left and right brake light sockets?

Note: if you don't have a helper to depress the brake pedal while you test, you can disconnect the brake switch harness connector and insert a wire or small paper clip between terminal no. 1 (white wire terminal) to terminal no. 2 (light green wire terminal)
Old 04-15-2019, 07:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

As soon as wife-unit returns with car, will check those points. Thanks!
Old 04-17-2019, 04:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

OK, I have readings from three locations.

At the stop light switch, with the switch in the closed position, I have voltage at a double yellow wire to one terminal; it's also hot when open. A light green wire to another of the four terminals is hot only when closed. There is no voltage to two other terminals, a red one, and a blue wire.

At the left brake light socket, there is no voltage with the switch closed; I have a black and a green with black trace wire on this socket. It is an identical situation on the right brake light socket. There appears to be a ground on two of the four socket contacts on each one of these.

I ordered a Honda electrical troubleshooting manual with diagrams; don't know how long it'll take for that to show up, but I figure I'm DIW without circuit diagrams.

Thanks again!
Old 04-17-2019, 04:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Oh, and yes, I am using the prescribed 2-dual filament bulbs.