Notices
Honda CR-V & Element 2WD & 4WD Element & CR-V

1998 Cr-v Issues that could mean the end.

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2015, 11:54 PM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1998 Cr-v Issues that could mean the end.

Hello everyone here at the forums ill start by saying I am new absolutely but appreciate everyone who responds to this thread.
Back Story:
I bought my honda from friend who took very good care of his Cr-V, in fact even though it had 200+k miles it on, the engine still ran very solid. After I bought it, I felt like a wrecking ball to that poor vehicle. Since I have had it I have run into a slew of problems that have never gone away and new ones that have arisen due to a couple of fender benders.

So yes, I have rear ended a couple of people, one time was severe, other time not as much though it did do damage to my radiator. Lets go to the beginning. My problems started when I found out that I could refill my OWN AC and make it colder. "WOW! I CAN DO THAT?!" I thought as I went to autozone and followed some basic directions from the guy that worked the counter and seemed like he knew what he was saying. I filled it all the way with the proper fluid only to find out a couple of days later, after repeated grinding sounds, that I WAY over pressurized my top line. I then spent the afternoon trying to drain my line without getting sprayed in the face. FUN. Got down to normal and got my AC working again but a problem arose from that. My car CONSTANTLY wanted to over heat. And still does. I have since then changed my radiator and my water pump and my temperature sensor in the engine. That continues to be a problem even though I check on my fluid in the radiator and its never low enough to seem like its doing damage. * maybe 5 ounces low * The weird part to that is that it ONLY does it while im IDLING. If I am moving, everything is honkey dorey.

That's problem number one, number 2 is about 2 weeks after my last rear end my engine started to idle extremely low. My engine has changed sounds almost entirely, no longer sounds smooth (My poor baby...) My car constantly wants to just turn off, I basically have to hold down the break and very lightly press the gas in order to keep it idling high enough to stay on. The OBD read a code that said throttle position sensor which I changed with the help of a car savvy friend of mine. I also changed a collapsed air intake hose that led into my engine and I have checked all my spark plugs ( twice with two different people an they both said they look fine. ) The OBD doesn't read any new codes which baffles me because I was always under the impression that it had its hands in everything. The check engine light is on and blinking.

A new problem, thats really fun to deal with, is that my shifter WILL NOT come out of park position. I am forced to use an extra key and use the release switch in the top of the steering column to release in order to revere and drive. I only need to use that when getting out of park, never into drive or reverse.

My car needs to get back to normal and no one can solve this idling issue, its the biggest one at the moment and I cant go buy a new car due to financial restrictions that simply wont allow me to. ( I rely on this car VERY heavily ).

Good people of honda-tech, what the heck do I do from here?
Old 10-09-2015, 07:21 AM
Fish Twig

Received 309 Likes on 285 Posts
Default Re: 1998 Cr-v Issues that could mean the end.

1. you just **** on your ac system by "filling it up" improperly and might've allowed air in the system when you tried to "release" some of it in the air(which was a bad idea to the environment).

2. Your low idle issue could mean a couple things but we won't know until you start doing some diagnostics.

3. Your car not going out of gear means the gear selector on the tranny is damaged, i believe someone had the same issue as you so do some searching in this CRV section and you'll see what he did to resolve the issue.
Old 10-11-2015, 03:02 PM
Trial User

Originally Posted by tony_2018
1. you just **** on your ac system by "filling it up" improperly and might've allowed air in toe system when you tried to "release" some of it in the air(which was a bad idea to the environment).

2. Your low idle issue could mean a couple things but we won't know until you start doing some diagnostics.

3. Your car not going out of gear means the gear selector on the tranny is damaged, i believe someone had the same issue as you so do some searching in this CRV section and you'll see what he did to resolve the issue.
Okay so what diagnostics can be done to eliminate potential issues. Interesting things happened recently. N my way home I had a radiator house burst. I cut the piece of that had the leak and replaced it back on. After that my engine runs better, not 100% but better.
Old 10-12-2015, 04:21 AM
Fish Twig

Received 309 Likes on 285 Posts

I think its time you start doing some maintenance on that sucker, waiting for problems to arise is the worst thing to do when it comes to replacing parts. Instead be pro-active and replace em to avoid failures. Right now for the hose blowing issue, your thermostat isn't opening like it should, you're going to need to perform a block test to ensure your headgasket isn't leaking, or the water pump might not be functioning and needs to be replaced. Just a bunch of things to look into on why your hose busted.

As for the ac issue, you might want to be careful if you don't really know how things work. If you're ac isn't blowing cold there are some things to consider, is the expansion valve working, condensor fan working, condensor fins are dirty, evaporator dirty, when was the last time your friend replaced the dryer, is there a tiny leak somewhere? Adding refridgerant is not the all cure answer to all ac problems
Old 10-12-2015, 08:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

What did that old piece of hose feel like you cut out, soft and spungie? When they get old they can collapse and cause over heating and other issues.

Quick question to rule out something on the gear selector issue, so the brake lamps work properly when you press the brakes? Also does the cruise control work?
Old 10-14-2015, 10:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

If you are of the DIY mind, you may consider going to a dealership or reputable private shop and asking them to do a big diag. You'll pay a hundred or more bucks, but then you will have a list of potential problems. I say potential because some places will list something as an issue that you can live with, but they would like the cash to fix it. Trying to tease out one issue after another may lead you to a bunch of false starts and cash out of pocket. Let the pros tell you exactly what is wrong, then you can decide if you want to fix it yourself.

The shifter issue may also be: bad shift interlock solenoid, damaged shift cable, bad brake pedal switch. I am having the exact same problem now after some work I just did. You can remove the top cover piece on the steering column, which will expose the release lever so you don't need to use the extra key. Just press down on that lever (it's white) when going out of park. That is how you access the solenoid anyway to test it.