Notices
Honda CR-V & Element 2WD & 4WD Element & CR-V

08 Element AC working intermittently

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2018, 06:23 AM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon5 08 Element AC working intermittently

I went on a road trip a few days ago and noticed my AC was not blowing cold. In addition, the AC indicator light and the recirculate indicator light were stuck on -- in other words pushing the button did not turn them off. I turned the **** on the blower to OFF then back on a few times and it finally kicked in, only to stop a little while later. This continued to happen on the entire trip. Now I can't seem to get the AC to kick on anymore and the indicator lights are still doing the same thing. Also, it seems like the recirculate motor isn't turning on. Normally there is a noticeable increase in air volume when I switch to recirculate but that doesn't seem to be happening. I'm wondering if this is some kind of relay issue. I've had some other relays go bad in the last couple of years for other systems. This is a 2008 model so it's 10 years old.
Old 12-03-2018, 02:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 08 Element AC working intermittently

can you tell me if the clutch plate on the front of the compressor is engaging? does it engage then let go? You may have to look through the passenger side front tire area and also remove the plastic cover to see the compressor. I if the clutch engages then releases (does stay together), then that's is a easy fix. With a big set of channel locks hold the clutch plate still (across the three rivets)and remove the center nut. remove the clutch plate and remove the washer behind the plate. Then put it back together. I read somewhere's that the gap should be no greater than .008 -/ .012. If so the magneto can not draw the plate in.

and also your Freon could be low. You can buy the ac kit at walmart with the gauge.

Good luck. I have had my CRV since new and that is the only ac problem I had. Started around 150,000 miles.
Old 12-04-2018, 09:31 AM
Trial User

I was talking to my friend about the freon possibility but I've never even seen the compressor clutch. I'll youtube it & figure out where it is!
Old 01-16-2019, 05:00 PM
P2K
Honda-Tech Member

The first clue should be the Indicator Lights being stuck in the ON position of the HVAC control panel. As I recall, some HVAC control panels can put out Flash Codes. I can't for sure on the Element, but you would have to Google that or pull the service manual.

More than likely it's not the low refrigerant causing your issue. But you can always have that checked. I'd go the free route and see it there is Flash Coded for the HVAC control panel first.