Notices
Honda CR-V & Element 2WD & 4WD Element & CR-V

[Honda CRV 2010] Piston replacement vs Engine swap vs other options?

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2019, 03:40 PM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default [Honda CRV 2010] Piston replacement vs Engine swap vs other options?

Hi, an unfortunate incident of oil consumption that resulted in piston needing to be replaced and timing chain stretch- known issue for Honda's of this generation it seems (and Honda had extended warranty for this fix to 125K miles but I was never made aware of it, even during routine service where they noted oil was low. This issue seem related to TSB 11-049).

Anyway the dealership quoted me ~$3300 for the repairs. I am still talking to other local mechanics but I expect it to be $2000-2500 for the repair. At 93k miles, timely service etc, the car was worth $7000+.

So I am considering other options-

1. Engine swap would run be ~$3000 for an engine with 50k miles it seems. Will it reduce or improve my resale value?

2. Sell the car as is and get a cheaper one like a civic or corolla for whatever I get. Is repair better option than this?

What's your opinion? Any other advice or suggestions?

Old 06-18-2019, 05:02 PM
Trial User

Default Re: [Honda CRV 2010] Piston replacement vs Engine swap vs other options?

bump
Old 06-20-2019, 06:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts
Default Re: [Honda CRV 2010] Piston replacement vs Engine swap vs other options?

This is a hard question to answer since it really just depends on so many variables.

Why are you considering an engine replacement? Why can’t the single affected piston/rings be replaced? (Along with a new t-chain) Are the cylinder walls damaged? If it is repaired - does that solve the oil consumption problem? Will the “new” engine miraculously not be affected by the oil consumption? My guess is no. So why keep a car that’s going to constantly lose oil internally?

Do you hate this car? Do you envy the people driving around in civics or corollas? Is this the only problem this car has ever had or is it plagued with troubles?

Personally, if the car runs decently okay, I would sell it or trade it in on a used civic or something like that. Preferably something without major known issues like this. If it runs like complete **** or not at all then you’ll need to get it repaired to get some of your money back out of it.
Old 06-21-2019, 06:37 AM
Trial User

Firstly thanks a lot for the response. I am in a bit of a confusion and any input really helps.

1. I had engine rattle and oil consumption last year. Took it in and they said it's a VTC issue and wrote down in the summary that there is excessive oil consumption but didnt raise any flags or did not ask me to fix it. At the time my car was under the extended warranty for this exact issue (TSB 11-049) and they missed it.
2. Later this year, the same rattle and the service manager at the dealership said piston has to be replaced as it's burning oil. And that has also stretched my timing chain. Told me the total cost would be $3300 and it is unsafe to drive as it is.

The car doesn't start, and if it starts, it shuts down after a while. No noise or anything. So to answer your question, I just need a running car. I am not sure selling the car in this condition is a viable idea. I doubt the dealership would even take it back. I will ask them.

Regarding point 1. above, I am in touch with Honda America and talking to them. Hoping they would at least be willing to foot part of the cost as I've been using only Honda certified services etc. Plus the TSB, plus the dealership not telling me about the TSB and the oil consumption issue while I was still under warranty. Car is still at the dealership as I am pondering on my options.