Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

YO I NEED SOME HELP!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2007, 11:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default YO I NEED SOME HELP!!!

ok so i have a 92 civic dx 5 spd, and i need to replace the brake master cylinder, only problem is is that ive never done this before and i was wondering if anyone could give me some helpful hints
please in desperate need!!! thx!!
Old 03-29-2007, 12:23 PM

Default Re: YO I NEED SOME HELP!!! (sexycivicgirl87)

get ready to get dirty ?
i beilieve is pretty simple undo the slave cylinder and resivoir from the master
undo the vaccum line to the brake booster
unbolt the four bolts holding it to the fir wall
remove
the only thing im not sure about is if you have to bleeed your brake booster and if you do i cant tell you how cause i dnno if it has a bleeder
Old 03-29-2007, 12:26 PM
Ek Forever y0!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: YO I NEED SOME HELP!!! (Jhonny Ricer)

Follow his instructions and just bleed the brakes anyway. It's probably time for new fluid anyway. Besides it's cheap.
Old 03-29-2007, 12:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^^ Whoa. There is no slave cylinder with respect to brakes. Plus the reservoir is ON the brake MC so you're not removing it. The new one should have it. Anyway...

If you have to replace your brake master cylinder, I'd start by draining your brake fluid, otherwise you're gonna make a mess. Off with your wheels, connect a hose to the bleeder screw on your brake calipers (or drums in the rear), stick the other end of the hose in a bucket, and open the screw. Pump on the brakes a few times and fluid will come out. Repeat per wheel.

Next, unbolt the 2 hard lines from the master cylinder. Have a paper towel handy since it'll leak a bit.

Now, unbolt the two nuts hold the MC to the booster and remove. Make sure the gasket is good, and reinstall the new MC with the same two nuts.

Use the search and look up how to bench bleed the new master cylinder and how to bleed your brakes and you should be good.
Old 03-29-2007, 01:13 PM

Default Re: YO I NEED SOME HELP!!! (Blk00EJ8)

haha see told you im not 100 % sure
k so
1. bleed all four brakes at each wheel take a bottle hold it to the bleeders when the person in the vehicle presses the brakes loosen the bleeder allow all fluid to come out until the pedal hits the floor close bleeder repeat process until all lines and reservoir ar bone dry.

2. Go to your Brake booster and unbolt the two hard lines from what i like to call the slave cylinder the small aluminum thing attached to your booster and cover ends in an old rag or paper towel and take off vaccum line.

3. Than unbolt the two nuts that hold the MC to the booster and remove

4. Check gasket make sure it is good Reinstall the new MC with the same two nuts.

5. Bench bleed i searched and couldnt find anything so you may want to search yourself and if you get nothing post it as a topic.

6. unbolt your old MC from the fire wall and remove

7. attach new MC and bolt onto the firewall

8 attach hardlines making sure not to cross thread may want to use some teflon tape in the fittings when attaching i usually do but not needed

9 fill reservoir with DOT approved brake fluid

10 bleed breaks
RR,FL,RL,FR

remember when bleeding fill reservoir pump brakes until hard to pump loosen bleeder quickly let it all come out on its own than quickly retighten bleeder allow helper to release pedal and pump again until hard
repeat this process on each wheel 6-10 times to play it safe

the pedals should be back to normal if still a little spongy you may need to rebleed let us know how it goes

Old 03-29-2007, 03:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

WOW. amazing cars are still on the road.
Edit: sorry reread JRicer and he did mention some of these as well.

1 drain fluid in res. the rest will get pumped out when bleeding.
2. unbolt said bolts that have your lines connected to B MC with flare wrench. Use a cloth or rag underneath so you don't spill everywhere.
3. Unbolt 2 bolts that hold MC onto booster.
4. Bench bleed and install new booster.
5. Put 2 bolts back on and hook up brake lines.
6. Top off with new brake fluid - don't go cheap and get 2 or 3 bottles from honda. You will need at least 2 and may tap the 3rd one depending on how much air you have. Install cap.
7. You are now ready to bleed brakes. I usually jack up car and put on 4 jack stands and remove all wheels because I move around alot.
8. Recommend procedure without ABS is to bleed back right then front left of air. Then switch and do back left followed by front right.
The reason this is, is because the brake lines are set up to run opposites in case you lose brakes you will lose only 2 and on opposite sides retaining 1 front and 1 back brakes for stopping.
9 I repeat step 8 again to verify no bubbles and to monitor cleanliness of brake fluid.

The process for bleeding brakes the old way is to get a friend that is coherent and communicative.
Have them pump brake pedal til stiff and yell hold. You then take wrench loosen bolt on caliper and drain til pressure is down and when bolt is tight, Yell tight.
Other person then pumps until firm pedal and yells hold. Repeat your last process.
I usually bleed on my cars so I can be **** and verify bubbles/cleanliness.

Do this on all four sides. Also don't forget to keep monitoring your brake fluid res and I usually top it off after each wheel side so as to not get low and create more air in system.

Different process for ABS equipped vehicle but not by too much.

Helps to have a clear tube/hose on bleeder valve drained into something. I reuse empty brake fluid container or coke can.

Sorry for long post but this is exactly how I do it. Hope this helps you and if nothing else Helms/Haynes should have it also.

Old 03-29-2007, 05:43 PM

Default Re: YO I NEED SOME HELP!!! (sauceja)

from two people and your reafy to go
nice avatar btw sauceja had to stare at it for a minute to figure out what it was th
Old 03-29-2007, 08:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re:

is there an echo? I believe practically the same thing was said not once, not twice, but a total of three times, some of which in the wrong order with the incorrect terminology but all generally there three times. good that the actual bleeding process was elaborated on, but this was covered plenty elsewhere.

note: just don't bleed the system, and then take it apart.

/thread
Old 03-29-2007, 08:49 PM

Default Re: Re: (Blk00EJ8)

note: just don't bleed the system, and then take it apart.

lol my sister's ex did this once i laughed at him hystericaly for good memories

EDIT: three people it is sorry bout that i just restated it all in one so she could just read off of one post hopefully but w/e

and TY for correcting me earlier wouldve been a big mistake there
Old 04-02-2007, 07:51 AM

Default Re: YO I NEED SOME HELP!!! (sauceja)

thank you all so very much