Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Yet another tachometer wiring question... HELP PLEASE!

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2004, 02:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Yet another tachometer wiring question... HELP PLEASE!

OK first off, before you guys start saying things like "HAHAHA he's a noob, don't bother helping him" or "Use the damn @#$%^&* search button!," guess again I've been browsing around in this forum for awhile now (a little less than 2 years) and I just decided to join just now because I just got my EJ6 (see I'm not a noob, I KNOW MY CHASSIS CODES!). I DID search and to my surprise I found a thread from another guy (BrokeAssPinoy) who's from Illinois who has the EXACT same tach I have.

He wrote a very informative thread of a DIY tachometer installation which can be found here:
https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=949918

However, he mentioned that since most people here have an Autometer tach, he would show how to wire it using Autometer's wires. The tachometer we both have are wired differently! Here are the wires comparing Autometer's wires compare to Defi's wires:

I got most of these connection tips from BrokeAssPinoy

Autometer-
GREEN= RPM signal wire to ignition coil (tapped into the BLUE wire behind the instrument cluster, its pre-wired)
BLACK= as we all know is ground
RED= 12v ignition switch (tapped into the big fat YELLOW wire under the dash for most Hondas)
WHITE= any 12v dash light

Now for the Defi setup- ( MY TACHOMETER)
Signal wire (from the control unit)- RPM signal wire to ignition coil (tapped into the BLUE wire behind the instrument cluster, its pre-wired)
BLACK= as we all know is ground
ORANGE= 12v ignition switch (tapped into the big fat YELLOW wire under the dash for most Hondas)
WHITE= any 12v dash light
RED= CONNECTS TO 12V WIRE

You see the my problem is I don't know where I can tap the WHITE wire that supposed to connect to any 12v dash light since most people use the dimmer switch but my CX didn't come with one. Also the I don't have a clue where to connect the RED wire that's suppose to connect to a 12v wire. I don't supposed I should just connect the RED wire directly to the battery wire since it would be a parasitic draw plus it would power up my tach even when the car is off.

I want all of my wiring to be closed with each other and make them as clean as posbile without having to extend the wires. Please serious electrical gurus help me. Serious replies only and THANKS A LOT YO!
Old 08-07-2004, 02:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Yet another tachometer wiring question... HELP PLEASE! (ISeeJDMYo)

White wire = Find the wire that goes to the Switch for the parking lights,

Red wire = Find the wire that is 12 constant behind your radio.
Old 08-07-2004, 03:53 PM

Default Re: Yet another tachometer wiring question... HELP PLEASE! (BatuKing)

any other suggestions? thanks for the reply. it would be more helpful if anyone can give me the right location and color wires to tap into since I can't find my helm's manual.
Old 08-07-2004, 03:55 PM

Wouldn't connecting the red power wire cause my tach to only function when the radio is on?
Old 08-07-2004, 04:02 PM

i'm with batuking.
red to constant 12v = with out key still have 12v.
white to parking light = light from the tach will come on whenever you switch parking light.
Old 08-07-2004, 04:09 PM

Default Re: Yet another tachometer wiring question... HELP PLEASE! (2lua)

are there any other constant 12v power wire besides the wire off the radio? What would you guys choose? Also, Are there any other wires I can connect the white wire to besides the dimmer and the parking? I WANT MY TACH TO BE ON ALL THE TIMES WHEN I'M DRIVING AT NIGHT. What wire can I tap into so everytime I would turn either low/high beam headlights on, the tachometer will be lit up. Perhaps some bulb behind the gauge cluster since the gauge cluster always light up everytiem headlights are on. Any other ideas? Thanks again!
Old 08-07-2004, 04:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

let me give this a try
Old 08-07-2004, 04:18 PM

Default Re: Yet another tachometer wiring question... HELP PLEASE! (EGkwazhimoto)

sorry I can't reply to PMs, Im still a trial user. And I just hit my fifth post, which means I can't post anymore, IM me on AOL at lilpraning

Hey Dantastic, how do I go about connecting it to the fuse? I know how to tap into wires but I dont know how to directly connect them to fuses. Sorry I'm an electrical noob I only do tranny and mostly engine work at my school's shop
Old 08-07-2004, 04:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

here's a pic of the under-dash fuse box:

Orange: you can connect it to either C917 or C919. IG2 will be hot when the key is in position II, ACC will be hot when the key is in either position I or II.

White: connect it to C918, which is the fused parking light circuit, not dimmed, and will be hot whenever the parking lights are on

Red: connect to C916 or C915, theyre both constant 12V.