Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

y8 intake manifold on z6 head

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2003, 09:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default y8 intake manifold on z6 head

Hey, I need some quick information here. I want to put a y8 intake manifold on my z6 head, does it require any kind of wiring? I wasen't sure since its ob2, I was hoping I didn't have to do anything with the injectors or anything? I'm not really sure, didn't wnat to try it till I found out for sure. Any information would be appreciated, thanks
Matt
Old 04-17-2003, 09:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: y8 intake manifold on z6 head (hatchback19)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by hatchback19 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Hey, I need some quick information here. I want to put a y8 intake manifold on my z6 head, does it require any kind of wiring? I wasen't sure since its ob2, I was hoping I didn't have to do anything with the injectors or anything? I'm not really sure, didn't wnat to try it till I found out for sure. Any information would be appreciated, thanks
Matt</TD></TR></TABLE>

Don't know the answer to your question but are you trying to put a OBD2 intake manifold onto a OBD1 head? I will like to find out the same info. Also, will a OBD2 throttle body bolt up to a OBD1 intake manifold?
Old 04-17-2003, 07:45 PM

Default Re: y8 intake manifold on z6 head (eg-six)

Yea thats what im doing, and I belive the OBD2 tb should bolt upto the OBD1. Anyone else have any information on either?
Old 04-17-2003, 07:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Go here----------&gt; http://www.makuragi.s5.com/civic_99/Y8maniswap/ not going on a z6 head but I'm shure it will give you an idea on what to do.

Old 04-17-2003, 08:21 PM
New User

This is what you have to do ...

Make sure that you have matched the type of car it is coming from and going into as the Auto IM (Intake Manifold) is Different from the Manual IM

These are the differences between the Z6 IM (Intake manifold) and the Y8 intake manifold

Evap purge Z6- bolts to back of Z6 IM
Evap purge Y8- No mounting location on Y8 IM
Solution - Detach Z6 evap purge from Z6 IM and Zip tie to convienient bracket on firewall (becarefull of vacuum line fitting ..it breaks easily)

IACV (Idle air control valve) - No real diff - Z6 and Y8 uses same plug .... just conect to the wiring harness

IAT (Intake air temp sensor) Z6- Bolted to back of IM Plenum
IAT (Intake air temp sensor) Y8- on Intake piping before TB
Solution - detach IAT and move to intake piping or drill a hole in the Y8 plenum and Hondabond in place

TB mounting is the same, use Z6 TB ... BUT throttle cable bracket location is different between Z6 and Y8
Solution - Use Y8 throtttle cable/bracket or fabricate a new bracket or extension with angle brackets etc you pick up at HomeDepot

Lower IM support bracket is different,and does not bolt up to block
Solution, remove bracket(not really needed) or notch the lower mounting holes so that the bracket will work

Fuel rail is different .... (different bolt spacing) and the Y8 injectors are NOT compatable wuith Z6 harness
Solution - Move the Z6 injectors over to the Y8 Fuel rail

Vacuum line fittings
Y8 has one more than the Z6 .... just block it off with Honda Bond, or use as a place to mount the IAT

You will require the folowing parts

New Honda OE Y8 Intake manifold gasket
New Honda OE Throttlebody Gasket
Some HondaBond or RTV
Some Coolant to replace stuff lost when you remove the coolant lines from the TB and IACV
Bandages to fix booboo's when you remove most of the skin off your knuckles : )
Beers ... this is definately a 4 beer job

You "may" need some coolant and vacuum lines ... depending on how they survive the re and re

I highly recommend the Helms Service manual from proper assembly / dissasembly and torque settings

I highly recommend that you have a bunch of universal joints and wobble extentions for your 3/8 drive sockets ... as some of the IM bolts are B***ch to get at

That is all I can think of off the top of my head ..Have Fun !

Cheers

Moose

Old 04-18-2003, 03:46 AM

Default Re: y8 intake manifold on z6 head (Moose)

Awesome Moose, thanks a lot. That was really helpful. I'll make sure I book mark this page. So I should use z6 injectors on the y8 manifold. Is that all I need from a z6 manifold? Thanks for the info!
Matt
Old 04-18-2003, 04:35 AM
TheAutoboxer

good adive moos,
Old 12-25-2012, 08:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: y8 intake manifold on z6 head

My z6 is in my ef and I am using an a6 intake mani with a6 TB. Which on the TB doesn't have a MAP sensor so my MAP is on my firewall. I used z6 tb on y8 mani. Z6 tb has map sensor on it. When I started my car it didn't run rite. I'm assuming cuz I used the z6 tb giving me 2 map sensors and I think if I use the a6 it will work. But I just want some other opinions before I swap TBs cuz I'm currently using the a6. Could I possibly have some vac hoses wrong and tb has nothing to do with it?
Old 12-25-2012, 09:10 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Start your own thread, don't bump a 9 YEAR OLD dead one.
Old 12-25-2012, 09:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by jbpnoman
Start your own thread, don't bump a 9 YEAR OLD dead one.
So people complain when you don't search and now when you do. Which is it? And don't tell me now it's ok to post new one cuz it's so old. Cuz when is it considered old and allowed to make new thread? After 1 year? 2? 3? 5? 7? 8? Thanks
Old 12-26-2012, 01:07 AM
Technical Hero

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

Ha, I always laugh at that quandary as well about the "why dont you search!" and "stop bumping old threads!" idea.
Anyways which map do you have plugged up? Can you post how you have the vacuum lines connected?
Old 12-26-2012, 01:23 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

How about this: This thread is about a Y8 IM on a Z6 head. You're talking about an EF (wrong section), A6 IM/TB (not even the same generation as anything in this thread), on a Z6 head (the ONLY similarity). You also didn't tell us what ECU setup you're running for this zombie of a motor of yours. You also failed to tell us if you have any CELs, if you've pulled the codes, what they are, and what you've tried to do about it.

General forum etiquette, from when forums first came into existence, says 6 months without a reply is a dead thread. 1 year is definitely pushing it. 9 years is the epitome of dead. Your "how old is dead?" excuse definitely doesn't work in this circumstance.

So, other than being in the wrong section, bumping a dead and buried thread, with a completely different issue than the OP, and not giving us critical (and required) information, how else would you like us to help you?
Old 12-26-2012, 08:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by jbpnoman
How about this: This thread is about a Y8 IM on a Z6 head. You're talking about an EF (wrong section), A6 IM/TB (not even the same generation as anything in this thread), on a Z6 head (the ONLY similarity). You also didn't tell us what ECU setup you're running for this zombie of a motor of yours. You also failed to tell us if you have any CELs, if you've pulled the codes, what they are, and what you've tried to do about it.

General forum etiquette, from when forums first came into existence, says 6 months without a reply is a dead thread. 1 year is definitely pushing it. 9 years is the epitome of dead. Your "how old is dead?" excuse definitely doesn't work in this circumstance.

So, other than being in the wrong section, bumping a dead and buried thread, with a completely different issue than the OP, and not giving us critical (and required) information, how else would you like us to help you?
I am talking about a y8 intake manifold on my z6. Exactly what this thread is about. Where the engine is doesn't matter. You know how many people still run a z6? Go play high and mighty elsewhere. I appreciate SOME of the info you just gave but don't **** on my posts. Thanks man
Old 12-26-2012, 08:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by HondaPartsHero
Ha, I always laugh at that quandary as well about the "why dont you search!" and "stop bumping old threads!" idea.
Anyways which map do you have plugged up? Can you post how you have the vacuum lines connected?
I plug both but separately of course. I'll try to get pics of vac lines. I don't have it on now. Its my daily rite now too. I may start a new thread with everything included, if so I'll pm you the link. Thanks hero
Old 12-26-2012, 09:05 AM
PHANTOM MENACE

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

How did you hook up both if only one (or the other) is required?
Old 12-26-2012, 09:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 24TEN
How did you hook up both if only one (or the other) is required?
I don't know which is required except the one I normally run on my firewall. But I would unplug it and plug in to tb. As far as cel I don't recall having one. And I am currently using my a6 mani and tb which has no map sensor. So I am using the one on my firewall and I am running a p28 chipped on neptune. So I switched plugs back and forth when I had y8 mani with z6 tb. I ran the hoses to how I believed they should have been. My actual question is: will having the 2 map sensors cause the problem? The ecu shouldn't know there is 2 rite and I have my normal one plugged in still. You know how your engine runs when you unplug you map? That's how it was running with the map plugged in. And when I unplugged it it would amplify it.
Old 12-26-2012, 11:34 AM
PHANTOM MENACE

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That sounds about right regarding the use of each MAP sensor. When you swap to the Y8 manifold and Z6 throttle body you just swap the plug off the firewall mounted sensor and plug it into the throttle body mounted sensor. Is there anything you have "T'd" into the old MAP sensor vacuum line? What do you do with the original vacuum line that plugs into the old A6 throttle body?