Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

y7/y8 minime gas problem... need help quick.

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2005, 05:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default y7/y8 minime gas problem... need help quick.

my set up is a y7 block, y8 head, z6 intake manifold with all obd1 stuff y7 dist. z6 tranny... anyhow i had the y7 engine swaped in and found out the head was cracked so i being despret put a b7 head on the y7 block that didnt work to well i drove it for a week and the car cut off at stoplights and stuff anyhow now i have a y8 head on the block...

my problem is i crank the car it starts immediatly every things fine idles any where from 1000-800 rpm but consistant not erratic or moving idle... after the car runs for about 2 or 3 minutes just enought to warm up alittle not normal speed if i try to give it gas it cuts off sounds like its choaking. if i try to crank it sometimes its hard to start. the only weird thing is if i go out and start it. if i rev it alittle before it runs and idles it revs fine gets up normal and doesnt hesitate at all. so what could the problem be?

btw the headgasket is a y8 with the middle layer removed but both the remaining layers were sprayed with that copper headgasket spray. and the ecu is a 94 dx civic D15b7 ecu because i dont have a ex ecu on hand right now.

also im not throwing ANY check engine lights. but if i turn the key over with out cranking it after the fuel pump primes some times the oil light comes on some times it doesnt. and if i do the CEL jumper thing the check engine light stays on doesnt blink.

sorry for bad typing mis-spells or punctuation. but im late for work and trying to post before hand so i can hopefully come home to some help.
Old 06-13-2005, 08:32 AM

Default Re: y7/y8 minime gas problem... need help quick. (ncskate)

bump sum1's gotta have some idea...
Old 06-13-2005, 08:47 AM

check fuel pump...clean injectors and make sure they are the right size for your set up!
Old 06-13-2005, 09:20 AM

Default Re: y7/y8 minime gas problem... need help quick. (*****est_raver)

okay
fuel pump does prime.

how do i clean the injectors other than using fuel injector cleaner?

i thought all honda injectors were the same? but i know theirs no dif. between the z6 and y8 except obd2 and im running a converted to obd1 setup.

the car cranks the only REAL problem i have is after a few minutes if i try to give it gas it studders and cuts off like its choaking.
Old 06-13-2005, 11:40 AM

This might sound way off but this kinda sounds like a problem I was having on a car a long time ago.

Check your timing. You may be off a little. When I fixed my timing it fixed the same type or acceleration problems. Just a thought.
Old 06-13-2005, 11:45 AM

Default Re: y7/y8 minime gas problem... need help quick. (killer6993)

okay ill check again.. but ive got my timing to what i think is pretty damn dead on... it cranks immediatly also no problem so i dunno but ill retime it again hell ive done it about 20 times in the past two days literly...

updates anyhow... new fuel filter, plugs are new wires are old but worked on another set up could the dx ecu be the problem?

the only thing i dont understand is why it cranks fine and idles fine and even revs fine for a few minutes but after it idles for a few minutes or i drive it and stop at a stop light it cuts off on me when i start to take off.
Old 06-13-2005, 12:47 PM

it sounds like your timing is too retarded that would make it idle real low or cut off after its warm. it should be at 16 btdc. if your timings good get the fuel system serviced also check your distributor you might have a bad fuel switch
Old 06-13-2005, 03:26 PM

Default Re: y7/y8 minime gas problem... need help quick. (EGdaveoner)

answer me this... on the y7 block when i set the timing for the crank pulley 16btc is the middle mark on the crank shaft pulley right?... what do i line that up with i dont have any timing covers for this engine so i dont know what to line it up with.

but my main point is:
do i set the timing the crankshaft with the middle mark(16btc) or the one way off which is 0btc? mines set with the mark on the sprocket behind the crank shaft as close as i can eyeball it with mirrors and it in my on view is DEAD 100% accurarte according to that mark should i set it for the middle of the three lines on the crankshaft pulley instead?
Old 06-13-2005, 03:30 PM

if anyone has a clear view pic of a d16y7 with the bottom timing cover still installed please send me a link or post it because if i had that pic im positive i can rule out timing ... even tho im sure it cant be timing.

i just got in the car and for the hell of it drove it around the block. the whole time the tach. (STOCK guage) was bouncing around still reading right at somet times but fluctuating off and on. and when i parked it idled at 500 rpm flat.. i tapped the gas it stumbled like it was gonna cut off i pressed the gas again alittle more and it shut off.

please if ANY one has anyidea what it could be other than the timing PLEASE POST im desprite. i have a new fuel filter, the fuel pump IS priming, the main relay clicks
Old 06-13-2005, 04:27 PM

BUMP SOME ONE HAS TO HAVE BEEN THRU THIS BEFORE...

i cant get the timing right i guess
Old 06-13-2005, 07:39 PM

bump