Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

WTF white smoke from intake??

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2007, 03:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default WTF white smoke from intake?? URGENT

i post earlier about my idle, and now i had a cloud of white smoke shoot out of my air intake and the car shut off. Now it wont even crank, it keeps turning over and nothing. WTF is goin on???

Modified by Xscort at 4:57 PM 5/30/2007
Old 05-30-2007, 03:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

White smoke out of the intake? Fuel shooting out? Burning coolant?

Does it have an odd smell to it?
Old 05-30-2007, 03:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i cant really remember. what happened was the car had started then immediately shut off and it went like POOF and a cloud of smoke came out of my short ram air filter. and now the car keeps turning over but wont start.

im stuck at a friends house and i need my car cuz i go to work in the morn!!
Old 05-30-2007, 04:00 PM

if it really came out of the intake I would say your timing belt slipped broke or something is seriously wrong in your head
Old 05-30-2007, 04:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (gtlaw1)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by gtlaw1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">if it really came out of the intake I would say your timing belt slipped broke or something is seriously wrong in your head </TD></TR></TABLE>

Thats what i was thinking, a broken Timing belt, and your injectors shot while your valves were closed ( im guessing) , which would explain a 'poof' out your intake. Your cars finished for the most part until you get it to a shop and get that fixed/replaced. Sorry kiddo.
Old 05-30-2007, 04:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (97Ej6mike)

check the cap/rotor in the distributor.. i had the rotor fall off once and it created a backfire/pop out of the intake.. just a thought
Old 05-30-2007, 05:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ima do a compression check 1st on all cylinders. what to look for about the dizzy cap?? take the cap off?? all the wires are connected and fine. i had my brother start the car while i was just looking over into my motor and then poof that white cloud came out my intake.

i'ma call the j/y i got my engine from and see if i can get another one, cuz my 30 days ends like tomorrow or in a few days. i havent done anything to the motor but change the oil/filter and add new NGK spark plugs.

more than likely, im gonna have to replace the head b/c of the valves???
Old 06-09-2007, 10:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: WTF white smoke from intake?? URGENT (Xscort)

my car is trying to turn over but wont crank. if was something with the valves, is it possible that my head is all i need to replace?? cuz if so, im picking up another head depending on how badly damage this one is. its not making any funny noises while turning over, just wont crank.
Old 06-09-2007, 11:12 AM
95DxSi-R2

how do u type retard? twi tunin teh ensin bi hune
now it wouln't crank at all.
people have got to ******* realize cranking and turning is the same thing!
it's either crank no start or no crank no start. yeahhhhhh it's my birthday. white smoke would either be coolant or an atomization of fuel that didn't burn completely coming out of the intake (backfire type deal)
sorry your the one thats gettin it, but there seems to be a bunch of tards on here trying to fix there cars with no mechanical knowledge. Arghhhhh
Old 06-09-2007, 11:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: WTF white smoke from intake?? URGENT (95DxSi-R2)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 95DxSi-R2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">how do u type retard? twi tunin teh ensin bi hune
now it wouln't crank at all.
people have got to ******* realize cranking and turning is the same thing!
it's either crank no start or no crank no start. yeahhhhhh it's my birthday. white smoke would either be coolant or an atomization of fuel that didn't burn completely coming out of the intake (backfire type deal)
sorry your the one thats gettin it, but there seems to be a bunch of tards on here trying to fix there cars with no mechanical knowledge. Arghhhhh</TD></TR></TABLE>

I know, this annoys the **** outta me too.

It's cranking until it starts, lol. It's simple, but for some reason it's interchangeable with other, incorrect words in this forum.

Most common one:
"My car is cranking but it won't turn over."

Death, to you all.

EDIT:
@ OP: Yeah, I agree, sounds like you snapped the timing belt when you went to start it and owned the intake valves (and now probably all are mangled).

Only way you'll know about the pistons is if you pull off the head - which you need to do anyways.
Old 06-09-2007, 11:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: WTF white smoke from intake?? URGENT (Syndacate)

thank you too for all of the nonsense. YES i am aware of cranking and turning over is the same thing. maybe i was in a hurry to figure out my problem and wasnt paying attention to whether i should have used crank or start, but seeming that the two of u guys have common sense, u knew what i meant!!

and i do have more mechanical knowledge than the average person. sorry u guys had to jump to conclusions with two words, crank/turn!

i was asking this question b/c maybe someone on here has had a similar experience and i was trying to find out if anyone had any piston damage from this.

i'll get back to you guys on this and let u know hows everything. thanks for the positive feedback!!
Old 06-09-2007, 11:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Xscort &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">thank you too for all of the nonsense. YES i am aware of cranking and turning over is the same thing. maybe i was in a hurry to figure out my problem and wasnt paying attention to whether i should have used crank or start, but seeming that the two of u guys have common sense, u knew what i meant!!

and i do have more mechanical knowledge than the average person. sorry u guys had to jump to conclusions with two words, crank/turn!

i was asking this question b/c maybe someone on here has had a similar experience and i was trying to find out if anyone had any piston damage from this.

i'll get back to you guys on this and let u know hows everything. thanks for the positive feedback!! </TD></TR></TABLE>

Regardless ur probably gonna have to pull off the head - that's where I'd start. You PROBABLY mangled the valves. Pull the timing belt cover off and see if it appears to be on t here and in one piece, then pull the head off and see if ur valves are okay.

I wasn't correcting you, I was simply agreeing with him in that pet peeve of mine as it's also obviously his.
Old 06-09-2007, 12:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Same thing happened to me. White smoke coming out the intake was hapenning cuz it was backfiring through the intake. Belt slipped bent the valves. So to fix it I took out the single cam and but in an LS motor lol
Old 06-09-2007, 08:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (K Dub)

oh ****, i totally forgot to mention. it is an LS motor, 98 b18b i just put in!! yeah, i will be starting with taking the valve cover off and then the head. if the valves arent too bad, should i take em to a machine shop to see if they can fixed?? i'll be doing everything on monday hopefully. its hard working an internship and fast food, lol, 15 hrs a day!! to my fellow broke college students!!
Old 06-09-2007, 08:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Xscort)

compression test, or cylinder leakdown test if you have the equipment
Old 06-10-2007, 07:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i picked up my grandfather's compression tool. will be checking tomorrow.
Old 06-10-2007, 07:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sorry to hear , let us know the final result
Old 06-11-2007, 02:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

well, i did a compression check and i got 185-190-190-180. took the valve cover off and saw no physical damage. the cam gears were still in sync with each other so i suspect the timing belt didnt jump a tooth and of course the belt didnt pop. so now my last resort is to remove the head. i could see the top of the pistons slightly when i removed the plugs and just from the spark plug holes, i didnt see any damage done to the piston, but who knows?!?!?!

so could bent/mangled valves cause the car not to start?? what if for some reason, the dizzy got off and maybe i should check the timing with a timing light?? that would be smart and it'll only take 5 mins or so. probably wont be til next week before i can even do the smallest thing. 2 jobs is a b!tch! thanks so far, will keep u updated.
Old 06-11-2007, 10:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

sorry to hear this, but atleast you have compression. mayb the tbelt jumped slightly off then went back on see if tbelt is on track idunno what it could be hope you figure out. white smoke is never good
Old 06-11-2007, 10:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I threw in some seafoam when you weren't looking
Old 06-12-2007, 05:01 PM
95DxSi-R2

yes, check the timing, your probably going to have to jump a connector to do it properly. i would also check spark and fuel psi. any codes?
Old 06-12-2007, 08:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

duhh, my dumbass...how am i to check the timing when the car wont start???
what do u mean jump a connector??