Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

wow! stiff yonaka engine mount made it LOUDER!

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2015, 10:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default my motor mount thread

1998 civic dx coupe d16y7

just got my yonaka mount kit, i've only put the upper left one on so far. that was the one that needed to be replaced asap. the other 4 engine mounts have hard inserts (prothane and es) so things are pretty solid right now

not sure if wheel hop is 100% gone yet because i didn't test it yet. i only took it for a quick spin at 1am.. so i didn't wanna be squealing this late into the night. i'll test it tomorrow

however, the reason i'm posting this thread is because i want to find out if anyone else has had this experience with hard engine mounts:

1) it vibrates my body extremely aggressively now. i actually don't like it tbh. but i think once i take care of all the interior rattles (there's tons ) i'll be able to live with it

2) now that there's a more solid connection between the engine and body. it's acting as a noise amplifier. the engine is SO loud now, it's incredible how much of a difference that single mount made

i'm not sure how i feel right now. i need more seat time in it to decide. but what i do know is i'm glad the engine is securely mounted. but jeez does it vibrate

gonna do the rear subframe center mount and upper tranny mount tomorrow prolly. i bet you the yonaka mounts are stiffer than OEM with prothane inserts

for anyone who recognizes me: i think i've decided where i want to take this civic. i want it to be a rock solid track car. not stupid skinny rear tires with huge front slicks for going 1/4 straights. i want it to be a fun car to drive fast down curvy bendy roads. it's a rough ride but it's fun. that's what i'm after: FUN!

i'm going to buy another car for DD soon. so that means i'm not putting any more money into modding my civic for a while while i save up the down payment for my new DD

Name:  PMeb6XI.jpg
Views: 173
Size:  536.3 KB

Last edited by dodt; 07-03-2015 at 01:19 PM.
Old 05-29-2015, 12:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: wow! stiff yonaka engine mount made it LOUDER!

Have you re torqued the mounts in the correct order?

This makes a huge deal with vibrations.
Old 05-29-2015, 03:22 AM
Fish Twig

Received 309 Likes on 285 Posts

Mounts don't make your car louder, it just makes your engine vibration even more effective.
Old 05-29-2015, 05:14 AM
I never narc'd on nobody!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The mounts can definitely make your car seem louder inside, but that's not just the Yonaka mounts. Any stiff mounts will do that.
Old 05-29-2015, 04:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Replacing worn stock mounts that allowed the motor to move around more than it should with stiff mounts will make the change feel even more extreme
Old 05-30-2015, 10:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

it definitely made it louder on the outside when crusing down road at 4000 rpm. but now i really need to fix my interior rattles. there's something by the trunk lid and rear deck that i need to find. and the plastic handle inserts that go in the door cards. idk what to do about the rattles.. the vibration doesn't bother me, the rattles do
Old 07-03-2015, 01:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default motor mounts not stiff enough

lots of rattling and shaking

currently have yonaka on the left and right upper

stock with prothane insert for the rear subframe

and es inserts for the left and right lower

not sure where i went wrong, but there is still too much shaking going on between 800-2000 rpm. i think there's still some wheel hop too (but i just bought 4 new tires so i'm not gonna find out anytime soon)

idk if it's worth buying another jug of coolant just so i can put that 3rd yonaka mount on the subframe (plus the labor of me doing it PITA)

forget rubber motor mounts.. i want metal brackets

or maybe i should just get the hardest hasports
Old 07-03-2015, 02:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: motor mounts not stiff enough

Your motor mounts ARE stiff. That's what's causing the rattling and shaking. The vibration of the engine is transferring to the body of your car causing rattles. It's a pretty well known side effect of stiffer aftermarket mounts. But I would also suggest installing the remaining mount to elimate engine movement, although it will probably only intensify the vibrations.
Old 07-03-2015, 03:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by rollinmyda
Your motor mounts ARE stiff. That's what's causing the rattling and shaking. The vibration of the engine is transferring to the body of your car causing rattles. It's a pretty well known side effect of stiffer aftermarket mounts. But I would also suggest installing the remaining mount to elimate engine movement, although it will probably only intensify the vibrations.
the reason i'm not in a hurry for that remaining yonaka mount is because i have that hard prothane insert in the stock mount. i really don't think my mounts are stiff enough. i don't mind the rattling and vibrations. but it's the shaking when the engine is bogged down that i don't like. like shaking where the windshield wipers are shaking and it causes the windshield wiper switch to fall down and turn the wipers on..
Old 07-03-2015, 05:07 AM
Fish Twig

Received 309 Likes on 285 Posts

Wow....just wow.....
Old 07-03-2015, 12:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

@tony_2018: what?
Old 07-03-2015, 07:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I just installed a full kit of Innovative 60a motor mounts on my del sol and it feels like OEM. motor doesnt seem to go anywhere and when jamming above 5k car feels and shifts a lot better. The vibrations are minimal. Dont bother me at all knowing the motor is safe and secure.
Old 07-03-2015, 08:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by spanishstud
I just installed a full kit of Innovative 60a motor mounts on my del sol and it feels like OEM. motor doesnt seem to go anywhere and when jamming above 5k car feels and shifts a lot better. The vibrations are minimal. Dont bother me at all knowing the motor is safe and secure.
oh above 5k i feel the torque transferring to the wheels perfectly. it's the sub-2k rpm jerking i'm trying to solve. i need someone with more experience to drive my honda and tell me what needs to be done