Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

How to tell which engine mount(s) are broken?!?

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2006, 07:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to tell which engine mount(s) are broken?!?

Hi Guys,

I have a 00 SI and I had a broken drivers tq mount, which I replaced, but it didnt fix my engine clunk noise completely. I went to the dealer to get an oil change, and they checked it out and told me the upper drivers side mount is broken. I was wondering how can I be sure that this is the broken mount? I dont have money to keep replacing engine mounts if they are not 100% for sure busted. I believe the dealer, but I also was wondering how I can check?

Also, how much of a pain is it to do this mount myself? I dont wanna pay anyone to do it, and it doesnt look too bad... correct me if im wrong, but is it just basically support the engine, unbolt the plate on the top connecting the mount to the engine, and then unbolt the mount? Whats the catch? Is it more difficult?

Thanks a bunch guys!
Old 12-12-2006, 08:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: How to tell which engine mount(s) are broken?!? (vortexx)

You should be able to look at it and see if there are rips in it, or the rubber has seperated from the mount.

If you can't see it then put it in gear and push the car a bit (Rock it like a baby) and watch the engine move. If it moves alot then look for the mount that is moving alot. You can do this also with the E-brake on and engaging the clutch like you are starting out in first, or reverse. Just watch the engine move and look.

Just did them all on my 88 rex and you should have no problem with the drivers side mount. The rear is the bitch. You have it right as far as your directions.
Old 12-12-2006, 09:22 AM

Default Re: How to tell which engine mount(s) are broken?!? (thesmogman)

Thanks smogman,

Thats exactly what I was looking for. I did have another quick question. What is the best way to support the engine? I have heard people say use a small sheet of wood between the jack and the oil pan, and others say never use the oil pan. Any ideas on a good place to support the engine?

Thanks again
Old 12-12-2006, 10:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I used a 4"x4"x8" long under the oil pan. Try to get a length that reaches to both sides.
You don't have to lift the car with it, Just enough to get the mount holes to line up.
Make sure that you don't get on the drain plug.

Old 12-12-2006, 12:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I use the oil pan too. You are just supporting that side of the engine, not lifting whole car up. You can tell when the weight is off the motor mounts because the car will move up slightly.
Old 12-12-2006, 04:36 PM

Default Re: How to tell which engine mount(s) are broken?!? (97civicdx)

Thanks guys,

I did the test with the car in gear rocking it back and forth. The drivers side upper mount moved with the engine - the top plate moved maybe like 1/4 inch back and forth... I presume that means the mount may be torn? But Im not sure and I wanted your guys' opinion just in case. The tranny-side mount wasnt moving at all, and im guessing neither should the driver side upper mount if it was fine? The motor does also rock back and forth front to rear, like tq rotation, but I figure thats pretty normal given that im rocking the car in gear?

Let me know what you guys think.

Thanks
Old 12-13-2006, 03:40 AM

Any Ideas guys? Am I on the right track? I wanna get your opinion so that I dont order the wrong mount. Thanks a bunch!
Old 12-13-2006, 06:08 AM

I would just replace all the mounts to be on the safe side and plus to save the future work, cuz most likely the other mounts are on there way to being torn as well, so knock 4 birds wit one stone, change ur trans mount also.
Old 12-13-2006, 07:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: How to tell which engine mount(s) are broken?!? (djeclipzjv)

Agreed. If one is old all are old. Once one rips it put's strain on the rest. But it sounds like you found the one that is your problem.
I am reinstalling new motor mounts because three months ago I replaced them with some made in Thailand from the local auto parts and already ripped one of them. So what I am trying to say is go with OEM from the dealer.
I would also suggest some inserts too. I went the rubber hose route this time.
Old 12-20-2006, 05:28 AM

Default Re: How to tell which engine mount(s) are broken?!? (thesmogman)

Hi Guys,

I dug this one up b/c I have a question about the mounts. I am still not sure which one is broken, the upper drivers side mount or the rear mount. I got the car into some better light last night and stuck it in gear and rocked it, and I could actually see the upper mount this time and noticed that the fork side of the bracket from the engine for the rear mount was really moving about in the rear mount, and it almost looked like I could see a tear in the rubber. I didnt have a flashlight with me so I couldnt be sure of a tear, but it also looked like that braket was moving so much that it was practically touching the metal structure beneath it. That to me seems like a broken rear mount. As far as my drivers side upper mount, it doesnt move that much at all. I bought a replacement, and can bend the top of the new one to move as much as the one in the car was moving, but i can bend the new one like this with my hand, and the rubber still feels solid with no cracks that leads up to the plate which mounts to the engine. So im thinking that the drivers side upper mount maybe fine, and its the rear, as I had originally suspected?

What do you guys think? Now the reason I am still a bit confused is that when the car was at the Honda dealer, the tech said that it was the drivers upper mount that was busted, but I just had a hard time believing him even before I saw the rear mount bracket moving like that last night.

Im really struggling to figure this out... I already have the replacement drivers side upper mount, but if the one on the car is fine Im likely to return it and exchange it for the rear mount. While I would normally keep it and replace it too, Im currently extremely hard up for money and so I gotta only do the minimum.

So any suggestions? Im going to make sure today whether or not the rear mount is ripped.. but does anyone have any ideas on how to be sure the drivers upper is busted/ok? If its broken, should the rubber be visibly torn on the top? Should you be able to feel the damage with your hands?

Thanks a bunch guys
Old 12-20-2006, 09:03 AM

Any Ideas Guys?
Old 12-20-2006, 11:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

What I would do is take the mount off the car and inspect it! Look to see if it has torn or not and see how weak it is compared to the new one (Driver side upper mount). If everything looks ok then I would return the new one and get a replacement for the Rear mount. I tried putting in a motor mount insert on my rear torque mount and it is hell to get out, still havent gotten it out do to not having the right tools. Plus I would suggest spraying the rear mount bolts with PB blaster or whatever that stuff is called to loosen the bolts holding it on.