Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Is it worth keeping?

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2009, 07:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is it worth keeping?

I bought a 94 Civic EX Coupe but after buying it, I realized all the problems it had. All these parts need to be replaced:

Front bumper
Rear Bumper
Hood
Trunk
Headlights
Tail Lights
Rear Quarter Panels (Both Sides)
Tie Rods
Ball Joints
VSS or Gauge Cluster (Speedo reads 10mph too high)
Paint
A/C L fitting is R134a but wont recharge?

Then theres small things like door moldings and stuff like that. Is this car worth keeping or should I sell it for cheap and buy another EJ1 (I like the coupes)? The D16Z6 and auto trans run great, its everything else that needs replacing.
Old 10-14-2009, 07:14 AM

Default Re: Is it worth keeping?

Were you wearing a blindfold or did the whole transaction occur at night time? It doesnt make sense to me how you wouldnt notice these things before purchase (minus tie rods/ball joints/speedo issue maybe). Either way, I would scrap the car and sell the swap to maybe get your money back and start from square one IMO. If you have the time and resources to do all that bodywork, then thats obviously your only other option.

GL
Old 10-14-2009, 07:23 AM

Exactly...

How the hell do you later realize the car is a POS. Not noticing that every damn panel needs work? Come deliver it to me. I'll buy it for "cheap"
Old 10-14-2009, 07:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

yea def sounds like u picked it up from scrap yard to b honest. if u do fix it it will need like idk a complete rebuild pretty much
Old 10-14-2009, 08:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

well the bumpers, hood, trunk and fenders i can get all for under 200 so thats not where the expense lies. my big concern is the expense related to the rear quarter panels more than anything. i honestly had no idea that it was so expensive to replace them. I still havent got a quote but ive read estimates online and it was much more than i expected. i didnt realize the speedo was off until my gf was driving the car and i noticed she was going really slow. my rsx speedo and navi read the same speed so i know my rsx is reading it correctly. i bought the car for dirt cheap so i figured it would be a fun project but its startingt o appear that the rear quarter panels may put me out of my estimated budget.

i knew it was a pos, hence why i haggled the price to what i bought it for, and had hopes of restoring it. needless to say, once i started working on it, i noticed all the suspension issues, the a/c (i assumed it just needed to be recharged) and the speedo being off. its not to be a show car, its to daily drive. my plans were to stop driving the rsx so much (getting high in mileage + turbo = me nervous) and use this one when i can
Old 10-14-2009, 08:38 AM

Yea unless you can find good quarters (very hard) at a local scrapyard, then it will run you a pretty penny like you say. I looked into it recently and up here in Canada it's like $700+ for a factory honda quarter panel....probably dont want to do that. my friend has an eg with rotten quarters and the bodyman simply said "thats a can of worms you dont want to open man" haha.

You can backyard-bob it and plug it/paint it so its good for a year or two then go onto something else. At least the powerplant is reliable you said. As the the a/c, you should probably just go ahead and rip all that out anyways. All you should have is your timing and alternator belt! Thats just me tho.

GL