Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

working on my delsol.

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2011, 05:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default working on my delsol.

hey guys, Ive been on this forum just lurking and I finally used my account. I first started using honda tech because I had a b16a crx, which was hella fun, but i traded it for a 325i bmw. and sold the bmw for a h22a redtop del sol.

I do not have pics, since I'm typing this at my local hospital computer. (Work as a cna on cardiac floor, finishing my RN).

I'm used to preludes and not light *** cars. and in the beginning I thought del sols were ugly. Until I actually drove one home. netherless an h22a swapped one.

It does move. and I'm very glad on my purchase, but sadly the interior/exterior/suspension sucks.

Recently, the targa top flew off the top of my car going down I-40 in Winston Salem, NC. (nuts were stripped to lock it down) and its been raining for the past few days and I finally got me a targa top because I got tired of driving in the rain.

here is the run down:

Exterior-
-missing front foglights
-big *** cancer rust spot on drivers side
- flat black hood/targa top
- one busted side panel window
- polished gsr fat fives
- lowered in front, ebay lowering springs, in back, god speed coilover sleeves on oem struts.
-trunk lid is busted, looks like someone tried to crowbar it.
- champaign color
- shaven doors???
- gay *** 4 inch exhaust?
- integra brakes all around.

I do got alot of work to do on the exterior:
I already started working on my suspension, which is tokico illumanatis (correct if wrong) whites, with skunk2 sleeves, and I got me a targa top!
Right now I'm working on my foglight search/front bumper/hood

Engine wise:
- redtop h22a 67,000
- no name cold air intake
- no name strut bar?
- big *** AEM fuel filter
nothing big planned yet, just general maintance. until I get the car looking right.

Interior:
funny red looking carpet.
busted up gsr leathers.
quick realse hub with ebay steering wheel
jenson headunit
carbon fiber cluster, reading 300,058 hell yeah!
- skunk 2 short shifter, which is upside down.

I'll have pics of my car on here shortly after tomorrow, Hopefully I'll be finished with this car in december with parting it together, and paint. I'm picking up seats and new carpet soon. This is my first "build" thread. But ive been thru the turbo bug and all that good stuff. made 289 whp on 7 psi on my prelude h22a4. so, I wanna make this an All motor build.

I'm not all about how jdm this is or that. its more of I want to build this car enough to look good, yet for my kid. I know I'm 19 but hey, it something to have more of a value to me and makes me strive to make it look good. I'm a nice guy and I dont do internet trollin, nor do I deal with em. If they got enough mouth to talk over a forum chances are, they will not say it in your face is how I see it. I'm here to learn and help others by what I've been through to prevent problems.

My outcome of my build:
Like stated: I want an all motor 250-300 hp motor. that can be daily driven.

I'm looking for parts currently anything exterior wise. for a del sol bumper/hood/trunk top.

I am a member on carolinahondas. Same name: "flowww"

I would like advice on what I can do to improve my motor build, but that'll be later on the road. I'll post up some progress and pictures of my ride asap. HOpefully, starting on suspension this weekend. should be fun. I'm here for friends, no internet trolls.

questions I have now at the top of my head:

how to rip a carpet cleanly?
How to fill up a rust spot?
Old 09-23-2011, 05:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: working on my delsol.

also:
taking out an alarm system?
how to fix the cable to my trunk?
And if possible:

Since my doors are shaven, is there anyway I can go to HONDA in my town, and make a key for everything? Because I'll know ill be getting a pair of doors with the same lock, but different from the ignition, is there anyway i could switch that out to make it all the same? If anyone knows a good logical way, please, let me know.
Old 09-23-2011, 05:46 PM
The Grumpiest

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

#1-Illuminas
#2-WHY WHY WHY are you REMOVING an alarm?
#3-Are you talking WHP or BHP?

Possibly this needs to go in the hybrid forum.
Old 09-23-2011, 06:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

and the alarm? dude its not even hooked to the freaking actual sound, if you saw this it would make you lol and go wtf, because it'll click once, then all of a sudden it'll go crazy clicking/flashing lights with out the actual sound of an "alarm" persay. of course i'll have a new alarm. I just need to find out where to start cleaning up the random *** wires everywhere lol.
-whp.
and, I just posted here because it says eg/del sol, I was trying to find a market place. like for actual users but all i do see is commercial buys. just point me out in the right direction and let me know. :D.

Last edited by floww; 09-26-2011 at 06:33 PM.
Old 09-23-2011, 08:28 PM
Master Detailer

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Tokico Illumina's are a really good shock. The coilover choice, sucks. The shocks are compariable to Koni Sport's, which are arguably, one of the best OTS shocks.

As for the alarm, find the brain, and trace the wires. Where the connect, unhook them, and fix the conection. Make sure to unhook your battery.

For the market place, click it on it and scroll down. You'll see the regional FS.
Old 09-23-2011, 08:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think the best bet for getting matching locks is either ordering parts from Honda ($ but it's all new and secure and easy since they'll take your VIN and could send you door locks that will match your key). Or go to a junkyard and hope to find a Civic with a key. It's easy to take the cylinder out of the ignition, just you need to have the key to turn the ignition to the II position before you can push a pin and lift a lever to pull the cylinder out. Doors, take the whole handle assembly out, easy as that to swap.

For carpet, get a utility knife with a new blade. Carpet won't rip clean, and a utility knife has a million and one uses.

For rust, remove all rusted material, prep it with a rust converting primer or phosphoric acid or something to convert the rust into a phosphate coating. Then either cut a patch panel and weld it in, or you can get fiberglass from Walmart or other places in the area with waxes and touch up paint and stuff to fill the hole since it will bond better to the metal that's there, and it's far stronger than Bondo. Bondo is used for smoothing out imperfections less than 1/8" deep and glazing putty is a thick primer for air bubbles and other very small spots that primer won't fill but Bondo is too thick.
Old 09-24-2011, 06:43 AM
The Grumpiest

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by floww
and the alarm? dude its not even hooked to the freaking actual sound, if you saw this it would make you lol and go wtf, because it'll click once, then all of a sudden it'll go crazy clicking/flashing lights with out the actual sound of an "alarm" persay.
I wonder how anyone could have possibly known this?
Old 09-26-2011, 06:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

thank you for the replies.

the coilover choice, eh, it rode fine when i had my 4th gen prelude.
but i mean you cant beat 200 dollars for the whole setup,

I recently did my valve lash, 10 and 12, and its running so quiet and way smoother. so proud :D.

this weekend, going to do some suspension, re-weld my radiator, and i'll have pics of it, i promise, so, thank you for all the replies. !
Old 09-26-2011, 06:53 PM
Master Detailer

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by floww
thank you for the replies.

the coilover choice, eh, it rode fine when i had my 4th gen prelude.
but i mean you cant beat 200 dollars for the whole setup,

I recently did my valve lash, 10 and 12, and its running so quiet and way smoother. so proud :D.

this weekend, going to do some suspension, re-weld my radiator, and i'll have pics of it, i promise, so, thank you for all the replies. !
Oh yes you can.
Old 09-30-2011, 01:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

lol, maybe.

update:

still no pics, but update. lol.

recently got my gt3s last night, and just got done with suspension today,

girlfriend is helping me with this project, should be done soon,

will have pics this weekend, most def.
Old 10-21-2011, 01:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

well everythings done, going to start posting pics this weekend,
also, looking for some parts so heads up on any header/exhaust.