Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Have Any Of You people Yourself Put A JDM H22A Engine In YOu Del Sol?

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2002, 07:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Have Any Of You people Yourself Put A JDM H22A Engine In YOu Del Sol?

hey have any of u people put a jdm h22a engine in ur del sol??? if so how is it? is it heavy on the fornt end?? is it quick....hook me up with some details please....thankz
Old 03-12-2002, 07:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Have Any Of You people Yourself Put A JDM H22A Engine In YOu Del Sol? (LLZuB)

Okay, H22's are dumb in civics.
1. You'll never be able to make the car handle right.
2. They don't go that fast.
3. Sure it's a lot of HP, but so is a b18c5, or a b16a with ctr internals.
4. It's not very OE honda, meaning if Honda never intended it, there has to be a reason why.
5. I've seen them in civics running in the 14's. I imagine they could do better, but i've never been impressed.
6. The Del Sol is already a heavier car, compared to a hatch, adding more weight is not good.
7. Can you comprehend the amount of parts you'll have to get from the Lude to make it work right, all the custom mounts? Very expensive, and is most likely to just f-up your car.
Old 03-12-2002, 07:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Have Any Of You people Yourself Put A JDM H22A Engine In YOu Del Sol? (Plan B)

i heard its realy fun to drive though
Old 03-14-2004, 05:55 PM

Default Re: Have Any Of You people Yourself Put A JDM H22A Engine In YOu Del Sol? (Plan B)

i have a JDM h22a in my del sol..guess what..all i have is venom cam gears, fluodyne radiator, nkg sprak wires, intake, thermal research exhaust, act stage 1 racing clutch, rsr headers, hi flow cat, fuel regulator, and oh yeah normal stock acura rims with street tires,,Guess what I RAN A 13.8 my first run..then a 13.77 my second by avoiding the wet spot on the hole in the track,..i also got 75 shot of zex dry air nitrous hooked up that i havent used yet, sincerely,
faster car than yours
Old 03-14-2004, 06:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Plan B &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Okay, H22's are dumb in civics.
4. It's not very OE honda, meaning if Honda never intended it, there has to be a reason why.
5. I've seen them in civics running in the 14's. I imagine they could do better, but i've never been impressed.
6. The Del Sol is already a heavier car, compared to a hatch, adding more weight is not good.
7. Can you comprehend the amount of parts you'll have to get from the Lude to make it work right, all the custom mounts? Very expensive, and is most likely to just f-up your car.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Wow....
1. Common misconecption. Talk to Newman and Poison.
2. Wrong.
3.Okay, and both cost close to the same thing. The H22 tranny is far inferior to the C5, so you are correct here.
4.They never put a C5 in any Civic either. Go figure.
5.I've seen them in Civics hitting 13s easily and even 12s.
6.Adding more weight is bad.
7.No more expensive than a C5. Yes you need a lot of parts, but oh well. Customization is the name of the game.

EDIT: And the H22 swap is only like 25 lbs heavier than a B swap.

Modified by Ricey McRicerton at 10:12 PM 3/14/2004

Modified by Ricey McRicerton at 10:13 PM 3/14/2004
Old 03-14-2004, 06:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Have Any Of You people Yourself Put A JDM H22A Engine In YOu Del Sol? (LLZuB)

LLZuB, it's not as hard as you might think.... i have an H22 hatch and it wasn't that bad of a swap.... the only hard part would be wiring but you can get diagrams for that.... just do a search on the internet and you should find some how-to sites.... if not just go to the hybrid honda website and they should be able to help you there

as for Plan B... i have no idea what you're talking about
i will agree with you, it won't handle as good as say a hatch with a B18 but most people don't auto-x anyways so it really won't make much of a difference
and an H22A compared to a B18C5 is SO much cheaper... why spend all that money on an ITR engine when you could just go get a prelude engine and still have more HP and torque
and when people swap their engines, most of the time they don't care if it's OE Honda.... Honda never intended for a B18C5 to be in a civic but people do it anyways
even if a del sol is heavier than a civic, it's still way faster than any other swap you could do
and you can do this swap cheaper than a B18C5... there aren't that many parts you need to buy..... you only have to buy mounts (HASport or HCP), do custom wiring (you can find diagrams) and custom axles (which are easy to make... made from Prelude and Integra axles)

in my opinion, this is the best swap out there.... sure you could get a B16 for cheaper and throw on a turbo.... but stock for stock the H22 is more powerful and has more torque than any B series engine.... it's a great base to work from
Old 03-14-2004, 06:10 PM

Default Re: Have Any Of You people Yourself Put A JDM H22A Engine In YOu Del Sol? (Ricey McRicerton)

dude, yea the h22a would be pimp as hell, BUT w/ the cost of that, you could EASYILy build that sohc in ur sol for the same amt of money and go faster. Even if u dont have a d16z6 by the time ur done w/ the h22a uve spent 3000, (i havent relaly looked into it dunno if this is acurate or not, prolly close tho maybe more), ok so thats 3g in ur car, done. Right well 3 grand into your z6 is some upgraded internals and boosting to about 14psi makin close to 300whp, it has been done check the turbod16.com forums, allota potential in that motor and even if u dont have one, the swap is relatively cheap and u could still build on it after for the money ud spend on the h22. Also, correct me if im wrong, but h22a=no ac, which i mean common, i really love a fast car, but i love a fast car thats still a comfortable car to drive even more, just depends on which directoin you wanna go in, good luck tho man.
Old 03-14-2004, 06:16 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Plan B &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Okay, H22's are dumb in civics.
7. Can you comprehend the amount of parts you'll have to get from the Lude to make it work right, all the custom mounts? Very expensive, and is most likely to just f-up your car.</TD></TR></TABLE>
It's actually quite sad how misinformed you are.
1. Car handles great. I autocrossed my hatch when it had the D-series in it, and it doesn't feel any different now. Handles just the same to me. As long as you have a decent suspension setup you'll be okay.
2. Depending on the driver and the conditions, this is a low 14/high 13 second car with basic bolt-ons. (ie. I/H/E)
3. Correct, a c5 is a lot of horsepower. But we've got more torque.
4. Honda never intended for a B18c to end up in a Del Sol or a hatch either, but it's okay because there B-series, right? Try that argument with the guys doing K20 swaps.
5. Like I said, they'll run anywhere from a mid 14 on down. It all depends on driver, mods, track conditions, etc.
6. Sol's aren't that much heavier. And even if they were, wouldn't you want the extra hp?
7. The only thing you need from a lude is the engine itself.

What I'm trying to say here is that it's not that hard of a swap. I got all the horror stories when I decided to do mine, but I'm glad I went through with it. Just do your research, make sure you get everything you need and do it right the first time. My total cost I believe was between 3,000 and 3,500. And the best piece of advice I can give you is just to not listen to people who have no clue what they're talking about.
Old 03-15-2004, 02:14 AM

H series is no problem in your Sol. More torque than ANY b series.
Old 03-15-2004, 03:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Have Any Of You people Yourself Put A JDM H22A Engine In YOu Del Sol? (94_HATCH)

hp is cool but, torque gets you down the track

h22+delsol...it cool

know what your are getting into first.

search
search
search
search...........

yes there are a few things that make people look away form the h22 swap. but the frist time you hit vtec and here that change over, and have the tires breack loose, makes it all worth it
Old 03-15-2004, 03:54 AM
WalkingKenshin

yea i gotta call a on that.
Old 03-15-2004, 05:43 AM

Man, everyone is tearing you a new one for those comments huh?

First let me ask this.... Have YOU ever PERSONALLY done or driven an H22 civic? Probably not so let's leave all the 3rd party hear say **** at the door. You haters with the D & B series motors remind me of the tales of BigFoot sightings... everyones heard of it and has there own tale but no one has ever seen the infamous Big Foot.

Guess what, I have a H22 in a heavy *** EX coupe and she handles just fine, stomps most opponents on the street... with a drop of my clutch and the release of some torquey RPM's it is capable of some impressive #'s. Bone stock, with no bolt on turbo power that most cop out for as a quick fix to their need for speed, this setup is the ultimate in an all motor platform. If you want boost it takes some build up but is well worth it.

The whole weight issue myth is just silly and is just that; a myth. These cars handle just fine and are not much heavier then the B-series counter parts.
Old 03-15-2004, 08:23 AM

Default Re: Have Any Of You people Yourself Put A JDM H22A Engine In YOu Del Sol? (h22avid)

H-Bomb Del Sol I had one back in the day......this was like 99 before they even had mount kits available. Theres always a misconception about the H-Bomb but its all fluff. My car was never front heavy.....it handled like a charm. The only thing I would recommend is upgrading to a stiffer front and rear suspension to hold the bigger motor and upgrading the brakes. Sure the Del sol is heavy already but puttint the H-Bomb in there will really help move that car. **** the haters! Fools got served by the H-bomb thats why......do what you want homie!