Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Wiring Up Fog Lights On, 95 Hatch (Searched)

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2004, 07:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wiring Up Fog Lights On, 95 Hatch (Searched)

I have a set of JDM Fogs that i want to put on my car. The only problem is, they came with nothing but the fogs and the faceplates. I already put butt splices on both wires on each fogs, so i have 2 wires ready to be wired up on each fog. A total of 4 wires. I dont have any harness with these, so they have to be hard wired. I alredy got a switch installed in my armrest (Full gsr interior in my car).

I've read though that these switches cant handle the amps or something to power the fogs, and I have to use a relay? I dont know anyhting really about electronics, accept that those fogs probly have one power wire and one ground right?

If someone could make me a diagram how to wire these in manually I would be very appreaciative. I plan to tap a 12V source from the fusebox to supply power, unless someone knows a better place to get power from. Thanks in advance.
Old 01-27-2004, 07:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Wiring Up Fog Lights On, 95 Hatch (xerox445)

Old 01-27-2004, 08:03 AM
nub
Honda-Tech Member

lets see,yes you should use a relay to supply power to your lights.really easy if you know how a relay works.get a relay in hand so you can see what im talking about.turn it so you are looking at the terminals,notice there are numbers next to each (85,86,30,87,and 87a).your hook up would go like this,hook yor switch up to ground,cars body.you want to run the other side of your switch to #85 on your relay.#86 and #30 will go to your power source,the fuse box is fine make sure you use a fuse on this wire a 15amp is fine.terminal #87 will go to your fog lights.you can run a single wire and connect both lights to it or run two wires one for each light.youve got two wires coming from each light,i dont know what colors yours are but in general one will be black and the other will be red or white.connect the black to the the cars body and connect the other to the wire off the relay.i know this was long but hopefully it will help.
Old 01-27-2004, 08:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (nub)

yeah that was helpfull...specially from a newb, lol. You only have 2 posts left today, so make them good ones, lol.

Are you saying that no power goes through the switch? like it dosent go from the fuse box, to the switch. It goes from the fuse box to the relay, the relay to the fog lights, and my little switch works like as a remote for the relay to give the fogs power??? I think i understand now. The wires on the fogs are a blue with a red stripe, and a black wire.

Anyone else on this entire board have any help besides this suprizingly helpful newb, lol
Old 01-27-2004, 09:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check out this, it is the factory installation for the fogs, maybe it can give you some insight to what you need to find, and do....

http://www.hondaautomotivepart....html
Old 01-27-2004, 09:35 AM
nub
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (xerox445)

oh stop it, your making me blush correct the switch is kinda like a remote for the relay.depending on the switch it may not be able to handle the current to run the fogs (smoke and flames )but running ground through it is a totally different story.the blue with red stripe to the relay. 85 and 86 are called the coil, put 12v on one and ground on the other and the relay opens and closes, it doesnt matter what terminal gets power or ground,try it on your battery youll hear and feel the relay click.30 is called common, 87a is called normally closed and 87 is normally open. when the relay is not activated 30 and 87a are connected (have continuity)when you activate the coil (85,86) 30 and 87 have continuity.once you understand how a relay works there are hundreds of possibilities in what you can do. switch a ground output to 12v (what youre doing) or vice versa.
Old 01-27-2004, 10:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (nub)

I think i got it...heres what i have to do, for my understanding...

Also, where is a good place to get the 12v sorce from the fuse box. How do i tap it also, i alredy have 2 wires that are just shoved in there with a fuse...for my horn and headunit.
Old 01-27-2004, 11:43 AM
nub
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (xerox445)

yep, you got the idea,looks good. make sure you fuse both wires from the fuse box. as far as sourcing power the way i would do it would be to get constant power for pin 30 at the plug on the upper right of the fuse box. you should see a plug with three large wires black/yellow,yellow and white or white/black. white or white/black is constant power, the black/yellow is ignition or switched power. hook the blk/yel to pin 86, this will give power to the lights only when the key is on or engine running that way if your lights are on and you shut the car off the lights wont drain your battery. as far as making the connections i prefer to solder but you can use butt-connectors or t-taps kinda up to you and what you have available to you not to mention the tools. good luck, let me know how it comes out.