Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

wiring LED in stock spoiler in a 95 ex. keeps blowing fuses. HELP!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2003, 07:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default wiring LED in stock spoiler in a 95 ex. keeps blowing fuses. HELP!!!!!!!

my G/F has a 95 civic ex 4 door. her car did not come with a spoiler. i bought one off of another 95 ex 2 door. i tried tapping both wires into the same color wires at one of the brake lights. blew the 20amp fuse under the hood. so then i tried only hooking up the power to the brake light and grounding it somehwre else.

when i did this and just had the wires twisted together everything worked. so i went and soldered all my connections and then grounded it back out and it blew the fuse again. so i changed my ground location. still blew it.? anybody have any ideas?
Old 08-09-2003, 08:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: wiring LED in stock spoiler in a 95 ex. keeps blowing fuses. HELP!!!!!!! (SOHC Beast)

ok, i just hooked up the power again and left the ground un hooked and it still blew the fuse. you think there is anyway that when i soldered it it messed up the wiring somehow? it wont blow fuses when the wire is unhooked...

this makes me think that it is grounding itself out somewhere, somehow in the power wire?
Old 08-09-2003, 10:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: wiring LED in stock spoiler in a 95 ex. keeps blowing fuses. HELP!!!!!!! (SOHC Beast)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SOHC Beast &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">ok, i just hooked up the power again and left the ground un hooked and it still blew the fuse. you think there is anyway that when i soldered it it messed up the wiring somehow? it wont blow fuses when the wire is unhooked...

this makes me think that it is grounding itself out somewhere, somehow in the power wire?</TD></TR></TABLE>

it looks like you have a short, see if you can get an ohmeter and test the connection.
Old 08-09-2003, 10:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: wiring LED in stock spoiler in a 95 ex. keeps blowing fuses. HELP!!!!!!! (blackhatchy)

its not grouned? make sure you ground it well, not on the paint. You are using the right fuse?
Old 08-09-2003, 11:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

If I had to guess, I would say there is a bare spot on the wires where you drilled through the trunk lid to run the wires
Old 08-09-2003, 12:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: wiring LED in stock spoiler in a 95 ex. keeps blowing fuses. HELP!!!!!!! (greebler)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by greebler &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">its not grouned? make sure you ground it well, not on the paint. You are using the right fuse?</TD></TR></TABLE>

yes it was grounded. but to test if it was a problem in the lead wire i un hooked the ground. and it still popped the fuse. and it is blowing the 20amp fuse under the hood by the battery that says it is for "horn/stop" and i have been putting the same size fuses back in there. yea, it might be a possability that there is a bare spot on the wire that i cannot see. i guess i will go pull the spoiler back off real fast.

anybody else have any ideas? TIA