wiring fogs in with corner lights

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2005, 10:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default wiring fogs in with corner lights

ok so i have OEM style fogs for my four door

this type

only thing i dont like is how they are wired in, basically, when i turn on my lights (all the way on) the fogs and dims are on, but when i flip to my brights the fogs turn off.

how do i / which wires do i need to splice together so my fogs come on with my corners, or even have them toggle with the OEM button, push on and they are on no matter what, push off and they are off.

thanks guys
Old 11-22-2005, 12:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: wiring fogs in with corner lights (93egsedan)

use a relay for the extra amperage needed and hook them up to the parking lights wire instead of the headlight low beam wire, parking lights always has 12v whether you have on the low or highbeams. use a relay because the parking light circuit itself cannot power fogs as well as parking lights.

I Believe the red wire is your parking light wire at the corner bulb, there should be 3 wires red, green, and black

Modified by 96CivicBoostCoupe at 1:11 AM 11/22/2005
Old 11-22-2005, 01:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: wiring fogs in with corner lights (96CivicBoostCoupe)

to pass inspection in PA, the fogs must turn off when the highbeams come on

i wouldnt pass inspection cause mine stay on with a button (oem style) but since i do my own inspections muhahaha
Old 11-22-2005, 06:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: wiring fogs in with corner lights (dohcdelsol)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by dohcdelsol &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">to pass inspection in PA, the fogs must turn off when the highbeams come on

i wouldnt pass inspection cause mine stay on with a button (oem style) but since i do my own inspections muhahaha </TD></TR></TABLE>

im in NC i passed with bald tires, my tag lights out, one tail light didnt work.

not worried about it.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 96CivicBoostCoupe &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">use a relay for the extra amperage needed and hook them up to the parking lights wire instead of the headlight low beam wire, parking lights always has 12v whether you have on the low or highbeams. use a relay because the parking light circuit itself cannot power fogs as well as parking lights.

I Believe the red wire is your parking light wire at the corner bulb, there should be 3 wires red, green, and black

Modified by 96CivicBoostCoupe at 1:11 AM 11/22/2005</TD></TR></TABLE>

im an elecitrial noob, i can do car audio but thats it. what kind of relay would i need
Old 11-22-2005, 06:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

or even, instead of doing it that way, think it would be easier to just turn the fogs into a toggle from a direct lead to the battery?
Old 11-22-2005, 09:04 AM

like this one its a Bosch SPST standard 12v Relay you can get them at radio shack, wal mart or any auto store, by toggle do you mean a standard flip switch?
Old 11-22-2005, 09:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: wiring fogs in with corner lights (dohcdelsol)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by dohcdelsol &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">to pass inspection in PA, the fogs must turn off when the highbeams come on

i wouldnt pass inspection cause mine stay on with a button (oem style) but since i do my own inspections muhahaha </TD></TR></TABLE>

interesting... mine are on a completely different switch and can be on/off at any time..... u wanna "pass" me for my next inspection? Im right close by in media...
Old 11-22-2005, 10:51 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 93egsedan &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">or even, instead of doing it that way, think it would be easier to just turn the fogs into a toggle from a direct lead to the battery?</TD></TR></TABLE>
This is an okay idea if you have a industrial high-amp toggle switch....otherwise you may have switch meltdown without a relay.
Old 11-22-2005, 10:58 AM

Default Re: wiring fogs in with corner lights (alotawatts)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by alotawatts &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
This is an okay idea if you have a industrial high-amp toggle switch....otherwise you may have switch meltdown without a relay.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yeah, you should run the fog lights off of a relay. I'd recommend wire directly to 12V, and either have the relay switched (toggle switch inside the car) or wire the relay to your parking lights like the diagram posted. And you can find a relay at any store like Wal Mart, radio shack, or any car audio place. IMHO, get it from Radio Shack, just make sure the relay can handle as much power as the fog lamps will draw...

HTH
Old 11-22-2005, 12:11 PM

Default Re: wiring fogs in with corner lights (AlpineInstaller)

Update Diagram To Use A Switch. AlpineInstaller is correct make sure you use a relay rated for 20 or greater amps so It is able to handle the current draw. It is never a good idea to hook up fogs without a relay, the current draw is to high and you could start an electrical fire if the switch burns up or wires. if you need any more help PM me
Old 11-22-2005, 11:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: wiring fogs in with corner lights (96CivicBoostCoupe)

by toggle i mean using the OEM button to toggle them on and off. anyways i pmed you asking if my understanding of your first diagram is correct