Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Windshield wipers stopped working - plastic cap keeps popping off linkage

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2018, 02:20 PM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Windshield wipers stopped working - plastic cap keeps popping off linkage

My windshield wipers stopped working last week while I was driving in heavy snow. I looked inside and a linker arm was disconnected, and the white plastic cap was off. I tried popping the linker arm and plastic cap back in place (it was pretty easy to pop in - I didn't have to use much force). I turned the wipers on, and the wipers worked fine for a while, but a little while later the linker arm popped back out of place and the wipers stopped working again.

So what's the problem? Do I need a new white plastic cap? Does the cap need to be greased or something? Was I just not pushing the plastic cap in hard enough? I noticed there was threading at the top of white plastic cap but I didn't see anything I could screw it in to - do I need to screw it in to something?
Old 03-17-2018, 02:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 46 Likes on 43 Posts
Default Re: Windshield wipers stopped working - plastic cap keeps popping off linkage

The plastic "cap" bearings are worn out. It's not going to stay together without replacing them. You have probably also experienced the driver's wiper leaving the edge of the windshield at the top of its stroke when it is pushed by wind or traveling at highway speed. This is another symptom of the caps being worn and loose.

The caps may not be sold separately. Years ago when that happened to one of my Civics I ended up buying the whole linkage. It was about $50.
Old 03-18-2018, 11:12 AM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Windshield wipers stopped working - plastic cap keeps popping off linkage

Originally Posted by mk378
The plastic "cap" bearings are worn out. It's not going to stay together without replacing them. You have probably also experienced the driver's wiper leaving the edge of the windshield at the top of its stroke when it is pushed by wind or traveling at highway speed. This is another symptom of the caps being worn and loose.

The caps may not be sold separately. Years ago when that happened to one of my Civics I ended up buying the whole linkage. It was about $50.
Thanks, I ended up going to Napa today and getting a set of 2 generic bushings for $7. It wasn't Honda specific but it worked like a charm. So happy to have fixed the problem without shelling out probably hundreds of dollars to a mechanic.